66 barracuda driveshaft shortening

-

snate66

We're done here...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I was told that there is a drive shaft that cannot be shortened? Tube in tube? How would I identify that?
Two shops mentioned that I might have to have a new one made up after telling them the make and model. I don't find that issue mentioned in the thread searches.

I have the 489 -8.75 case set up in the 66 Barracuda behind a 904.

You can tell because down by the tail of the shaft (near rear end side) it looks like one tube ends and another starts inside that tube with like a 3/8" gap between the tubes. I think is is filled with a rubber for vibration or something. Saw a lot of them on Darts in the mid 70's if my memory serves me even 1/2 way right. I just junked them and had a new well build drive shaft made.
Sorry no pics.
Joe

You can tell because down by the tail of the shaft (near rear end side) it looks like one tube ends and another starts inside that tube with like a 3/8" gap between the tubes. I think is is filled with a rubber for vibration or something. Saw a lot of them on Darts in the mid 70's if my memory serves me even 1/2 way right. I just junked them and had a new well build drive shaft made.
Sorry no pics.
Joe
damn it. always something to turn a $90 mod job into a $350 project. Surprised i did not hear anything about this limitation on any of the driveshaft shortening threads...

damn it. always something to turn a $90 mod job into a $350 project. Surprised i did not hear anything about this limitation on any of the driveshaft shortening threads...
Not an issues- thosedrive shafts were used from a short period of time. Just go to a picking yard and but a shaft from a car with the same trans and rear and have that one modified. Nothing is cheap and nothing is standard or "as seen" in a magizine. But the reward will be well worth the energy.
Good luck- Joe

-
Back