66 Dart 273 Radiator Hoses

-

paulclark

Early A fanatic
Reaction score
Having trouble getting the right radiator hoses for my 66 Dart with original 273 auto, non-PS, non-AC, original straight thermostat housing. My local NAPA (who are usually pretty good) failed to even come up with anything that would fit - their book came up with hoses that fit the smaller slant six radiator inlet. They eyeballed a couple of hoses that sort of fit but had to be kinked so much to that it nearly chokes off when warm - same problem with the upper and lower hoses.
I've already seen these threads:
Radiator Hose Help
Help finding lower radiator hose

...but not sure if it's the same. Can anyone advise how and where I can get reasonable molded hoses?

kinked hose.jpg

(Yes, the fuel line is crazy, just a temp line for testing, long gone now but this is the best pic I have handy of the screwy radiator hose bend.)

Last edited:
if your car came with a/c maybe it is the right thermostat housing then use gates 20168 for the upper hose.

Oh perfect thanks very much for the numbers!

Nearly certain it's original to the car, came off the 2bbl original intake. But it makes sense if that's an AC piece, and maybe they just used up the parts on the line that day. Wouldn't' surprise me.

Headed out to pick these up and hopefully get them in this afternoon will update with pics soon.

To start with I believe you have the wrong thermostat housing.
look at this one from summit:
1966 DODGE DART Dorman Thermostat Housings 902-3022
Then you upper hose will be gates 20416 and lower will be 20386
Try a local OReilly...
The thermostat housing in the engine picture is correct for non A/C 273's. The Summit Dorman picture housing is for 273 engines w A/C. Nibble is canted toward driver side for compressor clearance.
You already have the correct housing.

-
Back