68 Barracuda Fastback build

-

yotah1

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So i'm starting a build thread for my Cuda project.

Copy paste of my presentation thread :

1968 Barracuda fastback with a 318 and a 904 auto trans. Apparently matching numbers (will check), and an ex Missouri car so almost no rust on it.

12494998_10208607232471833_7342482453863081131_n.jpg

12593410.jpg

12594010.jpg

Most of the interior is here, just missing a headliner and carpet, door panels need upgrading, front seats foam need replacement, dash is already redone as well as the center console.
It has power steering and aircon but no power brakes, although it has front discs.

On the exterior, 90% of the trim is there, will need rubber seals though, a windshield, some taillamps fix, a few rust patches to be addressed and new wheels and suspension. I intend to upgrade some stuff but keeping it as true to the original as possible, respecting its heritage.
Most of the chrome trim will be gloss black, with gloss black wheels in 15", a better stance (probably with a suspension upgrade with front coilovers to get rid of the torsion bars), new bushings everywhere, ceramic coated exhausts and a complete engine rebuilt with new camshaft, pistons, rings, rods, ported heads, better dual plane intake and carburetor.

That's some of the stuff I have in mind.

Most of the work will be done at home, though not the engine machining obviously, but apart from that I'll do it myself.

Here are a few photos from the work done so far, removing all the interior, wiring, body panels, getting the engine and gearbox out (last saturday, a heck of a job when you're alone...), etc.

12439547_10208607233071848_8627562802377493429_n.jpg

8307_10208607233591861_5500286481910567658_n.jpg

12509652_10208607234151875_8597648359752427110_n.jpg

12440410.jpg

12605510.jpg

12604710.jpg

12615310.jpg

image12.jpg

image17.jpg

I was just going to say, been there a few times. Good luck!

One project a day no matter how small will get the job done. :cheers:

Luv that pic of it sitting side view next to the tree.

THIS is one determined Build. Cant wait to see the end result.

Grilles, HL Bezels, rear Finish Panels and Hood Moldings look to be in really nice Condition. Perfect for Core Resto.
Shameless Plug: Give us a call if u need us. :D

Every conceivable tidbit of info you need, you can find HERE from FABO Members.

Buena Suerte!!!
:glasses7:

I have a similar car, 318/904,3.23/8-3/4/BBP, etc.

Buy why did you say you want to get rid of the torsion bars?
The Mopar suspension is superior to the GM and Ford junk of the day and can still hold its own. Don't succumb to the typical TV reality show trash where they always want to automatically replace the suspension. That may be needed on a 68 Mustang or Camaro but your car already has a decent suspension. Set up right you don't need add-on traction bars and suspension relocation. Larger diameter T-bars with good shocks and good rear springs is a good starting point. Make sure all the replaceble suspension bits are in good shape

Look at the Mopar Action Green Brick and check out Jeff's site if it's still up for inspiration. jefframin.org

Good luck and have fun.

I was looking into it this morning as this is all new stuff for me. All my previous cars are multi-link or mcpherson suspensions so i've never dealt with torsion bars before. In the end, it was mostly to get some adjustability and ride height variations to obtain the stance I'm looking for. After a bit of digging this morning I'm leaning towards the Hotchkis adjustable shocks with a pair of uprated stiffer PST torsion bars up front, along with a good overhaul of the front control arms, poly bushings and so on.
That costs a lot less than building a coilover setup and remains öriginal"enough for my taste while getting some much improved handling.

One thing though, I'll probably sell the 904 auto trans and switch to an a-833 4 speed. A friend who owns a '65 302 Mustang with a Tremec 5spd told me it is awesome but something just doesn't sit right with me having 5 gears in a 68 Cuda ...

A few things I want to üpgrade"on the car is on the interior with the door panels with bodycolor matching stitching in them just to improve a bit their look, as well as on the seats. The dash and center console will be a tough choice with either stock silver or bodycolour Racing Green inserts. I need to find a 68 radio also (saw some for sale on Ebay for 200$ max), or some period looking modernized ones with bluetooth and ipod connector upgrades but they are 600$ !! Given that so far there were no speakers in the car and i don't even know where they go, I'll have to think about that ...

The steering wheel needs a rebuild, and the dash gauges will be cleaned up a bit.

But basically, I take it one step at a time, no rush in anything, and i want to do something really cool (begin a car designer is money-consuming when it comes to owning cars...) without going overbudget.

12747310.jpg

10338611.jpg

12719510.jpg

10608210.jpg

12711010.jpg

I'm starting to take the engine apart, and it's in a pretty good shape. I also have to check the engine and gearbox numbers to compare to the VIN. I will probably sell the 904 auto anyway to switch to a A-833 4-speed manual...

I suspect that the engine was rebuilt, along with the car, about 15 years ago. The aftermarket headers gave it away a bit, but as you can see, it has 4 valve pistons, so that's definitely not stock. I will receive my order from Eastwood in a few days so I'll have all the tools necessary to check it inside and out.

I have stopped a bit the dismantling of the rest of the car (rear axle, fuel system and tank, steering rack and front suspensions + brakes) as I'm missing a torsion bar removal tool. I'm going on a hunt on the FABO forum to see if anyone is selling his...

The main work will start next week with metal work, sandblasting of a lot of parts and a lot of cleaning.

I need to find a machine shop in the Detroit area, if anyone has some good one in mind?? Same thing for interior upholstery for the front bucket seats, rear bench and door panels.

More work done this weekend taking it apart.

The block has 4 valve pistons, and everything is in really good shape so I suspect it's been rebuilt a few years ago.

I'm receiving all my measuring equipment this week so i'll be able to assess the exact state of the engine, whether it needs some machining or not, and what I do with the camshaft / heads / crankshaft / rods / pistons.
I'd like to improve the compression ratio to something around 10:1 or better, just have to figure out how.

here are a few pics.

By the way, anybody knows how to get the camshaft out??? I've scratched my head on that one all sunday afternoon...

10265410.jpg

10357710.jpg

12496310.jpg

12716310.jpg

12764710.jpg

12771710.jpg

Update on the car :

The engine is completely apart and I've measured it inside out. I've also cleaned it and it will go to the machine shop in a week or two. The build is taking shape as I have only a few things remaining to decide on and I'll be able to start ordering the new engine parts.

On the body, it will be outside next weekend to be sanded and to start removing the rust. The rear left quarter panel has been repaired in the past but that's not a pretty nice job so I'll completely replace it. I'm also replacing the footwells, the passenger side lower quarter panel areas, and both lower front fender patches.
I will do some minor modifications to the bodywork as I want to make this car really fully mine, so it will get an integrated ducktail spoiler in the trunk, some louvers on the hood to help evacuate some of the heat from the engine, and front chin spoiler with integrated openings for brake cooling ducts.

The program of this week is to finish removing the fuel lines and fuel tank, as well as the remaining wires and the left exhaust manifold.

The suspensions will be ordered soon as Summit Racing and Jegs are doing some rebates right now.

I am switching to 5x4.5" wheel fitments, as well as upgrading to a 8.75 sure grip rear end to cope with the extra grunt the new engine setup will produce. With the new suspensions (Hotchkis shocks and uprated torsion bars), the front end will be raised a bit again compared to how it was when I bought the car (very weak torsion bars and completely worn out shocks...) so I'm switching to Magnum Force 2" drop spindles. I will however keep my Kelsey Hayes 4 pistons calipers but upgrade to 13" rotors as I'm getting some 15"x8" Cragar 365 V5 wheels. I will also upgrade to rear discs as I'm switching over to the new rear end.

I have sandblasted many of the parts I took off the car prior to powder coating them.

I've put some photos under to show the progress.

Some parts will go for sale : the 14" steelies with new tires, the 2.76 rear end, the A904 transmission, the 318 pistons (Silv-O-Lite with 4 valve reliefs), the 318 carburetor and intake manifold. I'll create a topic for it when I put them for sale.

1012.jpg

1111.jpg

110.jpg

710.jpg

1510.jpg

1410.jpg

And some fun I had a few days ago sketching something like how it will look once I'm done with it :)

12792210.jpg

And if you want to see the sketching and rendering process, I've recorded it so here are the 2 videos :

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zfgKnmZtk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2zfgKnmZtk[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEEfUjoYU1Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEEfUjoYU1Y[/ame]

Well, not sure anybody gives a damn but anyway...

Parts starting to arrive. All the engine components will be here early April, as well as a new gearbox and 8.75 sure grip rear end and some new wheels.

image10.jpg

image11.jpg

Best of luck to you!

Been there (3 years to completion). Keep the updates coming.

That's how your parcel service works? They just unwrap the parts and place them on the porch? Lol

All kidding aside, awesome build

Thanks.

No actually when i got home the package with the fenders was under my porch, upside down, and half of it was on my flowers and plants upfront... Not a very smart delivery guy...

I'm aiming to get most of the rust removal on the body this weekend but work has been crazy lately with 60-70h weeks + weekends so that doesn't help :(

Thanks.

No actually when i got home the package with the fenders was under my porch, upside down, and half of it was on my flowers and plants upfront... Not a very smart delivery guy...

I'm aiming to get most of the rust removal on the body this weekend but work has been crazy lately with 60-70h weeks + weekends so that doesn't help :(

good luck w/ "your" money pit . ask me why I say this !!-------------LOL------bob

And some fun I had a few days ago sketching something like how it will look once I'm done with it :)

12792210.jpg

And if you want to see the sketching and rendering process, I've recorded it so here are the 2 videos

THAT was just plain badass man! Would be cool to have that sort of skillset.

I like the drawing! Thanks for sharing. Good luck and have fun!

Darryl

I don't think you're gonna get 13" rotors to fit behind 15" wheels..... I have tried and I only have 12" rotors. :violent1:

Thank you guys :)

I'm receiving the rims next week so I'll be able to figure out what can fit in them.

But Xmas arrived a bit early already this year, and I got the feeling it's gonna keep coming :hello1:

2210.jpg

2310.jpg

2410.jpg

2510.jpg

2610.jpg

2710.jpg

I don't think you're gonna get 13" rotors to fit behind 15" wheels..... I have tried and I only have 12" rotors. :violent1:

Not a chance! The best you can do with a 15" wheel is a Viper caliper on an 11.75" Cordoba rotor.

-
Back