'68 thru '70 170 blocks...5 core holes?

-

Killer6

Reaction score
OK,I did a fair amount of searching,and haven't found an answer to this.....
are the 170 LG blocks made in '68-'70 5 core holes like the RG blocks? The castings were
changed together earlier in the '64 era with the 5th digit of the casting numbers being the
only difference ( -2- for the LG and -4- for the RG), but I can find no listing for a parallel
casting change later. CarrlieS ?? Anyone? If there is, I would like to obtain one next
springtime, I have acquired a '62 and a '64, both 3 core hole versions of course.
I have been to the .org site w/the casting list BTW, and they state that they
know the list is not complete,so lets try to fill in the gaps!!THX :coffee2:

a quick look. one 170 engine marked it came out of a 67 dart, has 3 holes. one new 170 block, with a 68 up crank 3 holes. I will check numbers later, and look at a couple other blocks I have.

All of the 170s I've ever had were 3 plugs. Never owned one new than '68 though...

"..2463430 (60 – 67 forged crank "early" with 3 freeze plugs & red paint) and 2806830 (68 – 75 forged crank "late" with 5 freeze plugs & blue paint)..." Dutra on the 225 blocks.

"..2463430 (60 – 67 forged crank "early" with 3 freeze plugs & red paint) and 2806830 (68 – 75 forged crank "late" with 5 freeze plugs & blue paint)..." Dutra on the 225 blocks.

That's the problem, He focused on the RGFC block for it's larger cubes cap-
ability,and didn't mention whether the LGFC was also updated. Also I can testify that the
paint colors were NOT changed with the casting change,I have owned enough and seen the
same to say I believe it was changed in '70,unless different plants/lines were doing different
things.My '69 custom HT had the orig. unit and it was red,not blue,and was not repainted.It
had 68K on it I believe,and I built that unit for another car after doing a SB/4spd swap on
it's orig. home.I parted out(still have a beautiful B5 decklid)a '70 4dr valiant,and that mill was
painted blue,so.........
I need some '68-'70 base V100/170 series car owners out there to eyeball their 170
slantys for a core hole count!! :):)

Happy hunting. I bet it might come down to what plant built the mill. My LA built 65 S with C.A.P. (California market?) Didnt come with a driver side exhaust bracket on the flange to trans as many east coast rust belt ones had. Mysteries...

My hope/goal is to obtain and inspect one if they exist,and use if the casting
is superior to the older ones.My fear is that the engineers were already planning the 198,and
saw no need to cast the LGFC w/the improvements.Possibly the shorter LG was considered
rigid enough by design,so it was unnecessary,and the faster de-core time not worth it for an
eng. about to be disco'd. Charrlie_S mite have the market cornered on those things,lets see
what he finds, and anyone else who mite know of one... :coffee2:

Anybody actually own a '68 and up w/a 170 OE?,or maybe just a myth?:):)
So far just crickets and cold winds..........

I have seven 170 blocks. All are 3 freeze plug units.
2463230-7
2202843-8
2463230-2
2463230-8
2463230-1 deck stamping cc 170 11 02
2463230-3 deck stamping B 170 05 21
last one is where I can't read anything, but I know it is no later then 1965

You said you had an eng. w/a '68 and up crank,which of the above is the unit?

It is the 2463230-2. This appears to be a factory "replacement" block (no stamping on the ID pad). I got it from someone up in Indiana, for free. Evidently his father purchased it years ago. It has the crank, cam timing set, oil pan, timing cover. No rods or pistons. Also got a cylinder head, with valves and springs, and valve cover. I have not taken it apart to verify it as NOS, but it appears that way. I have been collecting parts to finish it. NOS rods, pistons, rings, rod bearings, oil pump, pushrods, rockers/shaft. Even have a NOS rope rear main seal, if it doesn't have one installed already. Looking to make this a complete Mopar NOS 1968 170 engine.

It is the 2463230-2. This appears to be a factory "replacement" block (no stamping on the ID pad). I got it from someone up in Indiana, for free. Evidently his father purchased it years ago. It has the crank, cam, timing set, oil pan, timing cover. No rods or pistons. Also got a cylinder head, with valves and springs, and valve cover. I have not taken it apart to verify it as NOS, but it appears that way. I have been collecting parts to finish it. NOS rods, pistons, rings, rod bearings, oil pump, pushrods, rockers/shaft. Even have a NOS rope rear main seal, if it doesn't have one installed already.
Looking to make this a complete Mopar NOS 1968 170 engine. Why? Because I think I can, and it might be the only one in existance. That would make it worth more then a "Hemi". :) :) :)

Well,good luck w/that,lol!! Unfortunately, rarity has to be accompanied by popularity
in this hobby if you want to see any $$$$$$$$,so i wouldn't plan on funding a nest egg
w/it!! Super cool little project tho', thanks for taking the time to look,hopefully someone
with a base V100 or 170 will chime in here. My plans for this eng. are a turbo EFI at the
3.0L disp. level for road&track games,not drag action.

-
Back