69 Dart GT Conv. 340-6pak

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I must admit, I'm not much on posting, I never seem to have enough time after work to just sit down and write. So here goes....
For the past 5 years I've been building (I hesitate calling my build a restoration because its so modified, more like a restification) a 69 Dart Gt Convertible. It came with a slant 6, AT, and was Y2 Yellow with White interior and a Black top. I took it down to the bare body. Stripped it, put new quarters on and lengthened the front and rear wheel openings 2.5". It is now GO Green or Sassy Grass depending on which side of the fence your on. The bottom of the car is body color bed liner. It has an 8.75 sure grip with a 3.23 gear, all new with repo springs, hangers etc. The motor is a 1970, 340 now 372 inches with an out of the box 6 pak. It has a Scat crank, Eagle rods, Weisco pistons, Bullet hyd roller, Edelbrock heads, Hooker Super Comps large primaries. It made 469 hp and 493 lbs of torque @6000. i'm installing A/C while using the cast iron water pump, and a Griffon radiator. I'll be using a 727 with a 10" converter. I'll be riding on Magnum 15x7 wheels and BFG redlines. There's lots more, I just can't write all night. Here are some pics as I went along. I'll post more pics when I reformat the rest of them.
Martin

View attachment 1714642427

View attachment 1714642428

View attachment 1714642430

View attachment 1714642431

100_1714.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
Had a couple of extra hours to burn, so I've put the wiper motor, electronic ignition, engine bay wiring, and the hood latch and brace on the car. Waiting on the master cyl, and SS brake lines. I hope to put the proportioning valve and lines on this week. By the way Thanks GTXman

View attachment 1714650771

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

No sub frame connectors? Why not? Best upgrade an A Body (especially a convertible) can have/get.

Yep, already have them. Came from Mancini. I'm going to wait until the front suspension is in so that I can make sure the car is square and level first. I agree VERY good idea!!!!

Martin-
Would you please hurry up and finish that thing so you can come down to FLA and help me finish mine???!!!

Hello Doug,
At the rate I'm going, I might as well quit and help you!!! How have you been?
Martin

Well finally today I received the crank and water pump pulleys from Baker Machine. I've gotten them mocked up with the Vintage Air brackets and all belts line up great! I've ordered the chrome alternator and chrome Sanden compressor, all should be here Tuesday. Then it all comes back apart for bracket powder coating and then hopefully final assembly.
Martin

IMG_2887.JPG

Last edited:
Well, Saturday I received the stainless steel brake lines and proportioning valve. Got them on today. Still waiting on the master cyl. Should be here tomorrow. Has anyone ever clear coated the cast iron part of a new master cylinder, I'm curious how it would look?
Martin

View attachment 1714653046

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

Last edited:
Got the master cylinder and chrome AC compressor on friday. I wanted to keep the cast look of the master cylinder, so I contacted Classic Auto Works to get some idea of how they cleared their cylinders. They gave me detailed instructions on how they coated theirs. First I cleaned the cast with CRC Brakleen, then sprayed 2 mist coats of Bulldog adhesive promoter, then a tack coat and then a medium coat of Acrylic Jam Clear from Dupont. It looks really good, but we'll see how it holds up to time and solvents. The AC/Alternator brackets will be ready to pick up from Tarheel Powder Coating on Wednesday, then hopefully the final assembly of the front of the engine. Next I'll be mounting the master cylinder then it's on to getting the motor and trans ready to put on the K member.

View attachment 1714654856

View attachment 1714654857

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

Your project is looking good. For all the bare metal parts on my Challenger(master cylinder, leaf springs, strut rods, tie rods, center link, driveshaft exc...) I used RPM from ECS Automotive. It's holding up really well. If your master cylinder starts rusting, look into the RPM.

We'll today I finally got some extra time to work on the Dart. With the exception of swapping some cadium bolts for stainless ones, and putting the headers on, all is on the motor that I need on it before mounting it and trans to the K-member. The AC/Alt brackets turned out great from the powder coater, but the color is a little off, but I can live with that. The new compressor, and alternator fit well also. The mopar performance fan and clutch look good, but I contemplating changing the color of the fan. I'm thinking chrysler orange, what do you guys think? Hopefully tomorrow I can get the master cylinder on.
Martin

View attachment 1714658831

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

Last edited:
Lookin good Martin! How did the new pulleys all line up?

Hey Doug,
The pulleys lined up great. Alan Baker at Baker Machine is a super good machinist and he took the time to come to my house and measured for what I was trying to do and made it happen. It was a long journey as you well know. What's your opinion on the color of the fan. I have one vote for black.....
Martin

Hi Martin, I vote for hi-gloss black for the fan. I did mine in black powder coating (Eastwood's kit) and it looks like black chrome. I love it.

My long term plans for my 67Cuda vert is Sassy Grass Green, white top, 340-6 engine (now at the machine shop). So I won't be far from your scheme. It looks great to me,so keep up the good work!

Bryan

Hey Bryan,
I too am thinking powder coat, just no sure which color. I'm leaning towards black though. The factory gloss black on the fan is sorta OK, but I'd like it better. Keep me up on your 67, and send me some pics, if I can help, just give me a shout.
Martin

Hi Martin, thanks for your kind offer! I am years away from this project though, but it is a safe driver now, so I can wait. Here are a few photos of the car as it sits now. Take care, Bryan

. . . .

Hey Doug,
The pulleys lined up great. Alan Baker at Baker Machine is a super good machinist and he took the time to come to my house and measured for what I was trying to do and made it happen. It was a long journey as you well know. What's your opinion on the color of the fan. I have one vote for black.....
Martin

I like black personally... I think a color will draw attention away from that beautiful engine.

Well did'nt have a lot of time this weekend, but I did manage to get the master cylinder primed and installed on the car. I've also started routing the steel fuel line in the engine bay. Thanks to all who gave me their input on the color of the fan. I'v decided to go gloss black powder coat. I'll take it and the torsion bars Monday and should have them back by the weekend.

View attachment 1714661000

View attachment 1714661001

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

Wow-you are doing one hell of a bang-up job! I really like the color choice and pretty cool the way you did color on the belly! I'm getting close to that point on mine but gonna keep it black with white drive train.
Stick with black on the fan. Orange will look too gaudy IMHO. And keep us posted...this is a really interesting build!
One thing I gotta ask; What is an out-of-box six pak going for these days?

-
Back