'69 Valiant 2DR Project

-

DNasty777

Perpetually In Pieces
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I thought I'd finally make a thread for my on-going project. It's a '69 Valiant 2dr sedan, /6, 904, 7-1/4. It's pretty bare bones, split bench front seat, 9" manual drums all around when I got it. I bought this car in 2011 and at the time I still lived with my parents (gimme a breal I was only 21). I saw it down the road from their house and pulled over to check it out, I always wanted an old car to wrench on and have fun with. I talked to the owner, checked it out (albeit not very thoroughly), and bought it without really doing any research. Kinda silly of me, but I was too taken with the style of the car and the thought of me cruisin' around in the thing.

Here's how it was when I got it home:
IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

I made a thread in the welcome section and learned that the front clip was incorrect! I was a little disappointed in myself for a while for failing to notice before I bought it.

The problems with the car when I bougth were as follows:
  • Turns signals did not work
  • Brakes were terrible, dangerously bad, scary to stop at 5mph bad
  • tires were dry rotted
  • speedo did not work
  • gas leaked from carb
  • wrong front clip
  • driver door glass was a piece of shattered plexiglass
First thing I did was a BBP Power disc brake swap for the front with new wheels and tires. Thinking back now, I wish I would have stuck with manual brakes.

During the swap:
IMAG0039.jpg

Wheels on the ground after:
IMAG0198.jpg

I replaced the carb with a refurb unit and that took care of the leak and general sad state of the original carb. I guess at this point I didn't have a clear plan nor a realistic goal for the car. I ran in to some trouble bleeding the brakes, dead batteries and registration/insurance issues. I moved out of my parents house around this time and got a motorcycle so I kinda lost interest in my car.

Fast forward three years later, I regained my hope after watching an episode of roadkill where they took a challenger and put a RV 440 in it. I don't know why that really inspired me, but it did and I started back where I left off, now with a goal in mind and a clear idea of what I want. I realized this will never be a show car, that doesn't bother me anymore. In the words of Ricky Bobby, "I just wanna go fast!".

I finally got around to sorting out the DMV paper work issues a couple of weeks ago and decided to tackle the problems with the brake install. As it turns out, the problems I had bleeding the brakes were a simple fix. The wheel cylinders in the rear were both leaking badly and the prop valve I got with the kit was missing a piece so it was pissing brake fluid from all sides LOL! I rebuilt the rear drums with all new pieces, got the piece I was missing from the prop valve, bled the brakes and I was good to go! Also I got a new battery which solved my starting issues and a turn signal cam which solved the turn signal problems.

Rebuilt the rear drums:
B5112B1B-D7DC-4BCE-930D-D8A6340D50D2_zpsajwfoykr.jpg

At this point I drove it around short distances, that really was an awesome feeling! I also found out the suspension was totally toasted. I ordered hotchkis rear leafs, PST 1.03 torsion bars, hellwig front sway bar, inner and outer tie rods with solid sleeves, and KYB shocks. I also decided to try and take care of my cracked plexiglass driver window so I orded a sheet of 24x48x1/4 polycarbonate.

Pile of parts reaching critical mass:
41DD963A-07F1-4F3E-BF81-704EBB59D588_zpsydgthgd8.jpg

Tackling the rear leafs:
84960C3A-F273-4DCE-AEDF-35448A0E80A9_zpsmzsnx4yv.jpg

Buttoned up for the night:
5C635349-9CED-4AF4-91A5-4F9FCF5E02F6_zpsusjzreik.jpg

I don't have any pics of the new door "glass" in yet to show but it turned out ok, I scratched up the new piece a little getting it in to place. So that brings us up to today. Right now I'm gathering parts to put the proper '69 front clip on the car and I'm prepping to put the new front suspension pieces on. I'm hoping to start on the front suspension this weekend but we will see. Progress on this car will happen in spurts as I work a rotating shift schedule which really only allows significant time to work on the car once every six weeks. In the end I don't think this car will ever be "pretty" but I hope to eventually put a 408 in it and drive it like mad. Thanks for reading my story thus far. Stay tuned!

Great car keep us updated I really like 67 8 9 valiants the 75 front end doesn't look bad its different

Hi, cool car, sounds like a good plan. I swapped my /6 904 7.25" Drivetrain to a 408 727 and a Ford 8.8.....built all by myself. Only thing i dislike is the huge and heavy 727 Trans, if i have the chance to get a SB 904 i´ll overhaul it with some goodies and put it in.

Have fun!

Michael

Thanks for the kind words guys!

So now with the Hotckis leafs the rear of the car sits about 1" lower than the car was before with the tired stock leafs. I'm running 275s on a 9" wheel and its pretty close to the outside wheel well. Its hard to describe, but about two inches up from the wheel opening in the quarter the inner wheel well kind of bulges in towards the tire and is only about 1" away from the top of the tire. Is there any reason why I shouldn't take a mallet to it and "massage" it for a little more clearance? I know they used to do it like that on the other side of the wheel well with the Dart SS.

Looks good.
I agree that it doesn't have to be beautifully restored to enjoy the car and have some fun with it.
I too have a '69 Valiant 2 door that i'm playing with off and on.
Looking forward to more upgrades.......

So today I started working on the front of the car. I didn't get very far, pretty much just prep work for the rest of my parts install, only had a couple of hours to work on it. Started mounting the hellwig sway bar and got the new shocks on. I will say the hellwig instructions aren't vary clear on what goes where, took a bit of messing around to realize I had the mounts on backwards. Wednesday I'll start tackling the torsion bars. I did get a cool surprise from a co-worker today. We were talking a couple of weeks ago and I had mentioned that I thought the direct connection plates were really cool. I showed up today and he had a gift for me, its awesome working with someone has knowledge and connections with old mopars.

A3F0E2E8-CDD4-4E4F-8242-DAA496E0E756_zpsles8umrh.jpg

Also, my power steering is leaking like a sieve, I think from the high pressure line. I'm not sure yet but I might seize this opportunity to convert to manual steering or get a FirmFeel stage 3 power box. Having a hard time deciding.

I forgot to take pictures while I was working tonight because I was feeling a little rushed, hopefully wednesday will go well and I'll have something more to show.

So today I installed most of my front suspension parts. I got the new shocks, inner/outer tie rods with proforged solid sleeves, and hellwig sway bar done. I cranked down the torsion bars some to even out the ride height too. I didn't end up putting in the new torsion bars, I might get those done at a shop because I really don't want to ruin them. A guy at work wants my /6 bars so maybe if his friends shop is capable I'll have him do it and let him keep the bars.

Also threw on the '69 lower valance and grille just for giggles.

Two more pics for fun.

1EB1A7A5-82CD-4C4D-AB8B-1A49B5D62753_zpsbsjrmcmc.jpg

731907E8-AE96-4900-917E-1DDF13F78C02_zpszwauhrlt.jpg

looking really good man are there plans to paint it? I like the patina look

Thanks Lime! No, not in the near future. I want to clean up and paint the underside and engine bay but I really like the ratty sleeper look. I know a lot of people don't like it, maybe because they feel I might be doing a disservice to the car and I understand that but I just don't have the skill or money to get the paint done right.

its only going to look that way once it has character..I think the only disservice you would be doing is if you did something u didn't want to do its your car do what you like keep up the great work!

Cool car, I love the stance and the look of it. I have the same springs and torsion bars in my dart and really like them.

I have mixed feeling on the later frnbt clips but the one pic you posted from the front view looks mean. I decided to install the 67 grill and valance on my 68 cause I always liked the look of it.

I really like the 67 and 68 grill too. All the 67-69 valiants have a great form and look to them, honestly I think the dart posts are kinda fugly.

Cool old school build, if you have a little cash build it.
On you rear leafs look at I believe it was Warks build on his duster, he had a lot of issues with that company's rear leafs, and they only got worse the more miles he drove the car.

Correct Lime! Got a hood, front bumper, and fenders from Henry B on here. He's a really nice guy and has a freakin sweet project underway.

C9A261EC-416E-414D-B89B-22B5A24103EB_zpsflhimtp4.jpg

9DE94998-A71C-4CAA-93E8-8EC065B40179_zpsttetssma.jpg

I'll get to putting this stuff on tomorrow, too tired to start tonight, drove 1000mi these last three days.

Sireland, thanks for the heads up, the leafs went in pretty easy. I've only got about one mile on them right now, we will see how they hold up.

In other news, a guy at work is hooking me up with someone who has a b-body 8-3/4 housing and 489 case.

Broke a bolt in to the new hood, beyond heated right now, had to walk away today. I was having trouble getting the hood to stay tight to the brackets and latching to the hood latch, that's how I broke the bolt.

51F8671B-58F5-4FC8-8482-E439D69D988F_zps6ejmeuuu.jpg

Sorry to hear about the bolt! Take a 1/8" drill bit and drill a small hole in it and use a easy out on it?

I'm very interested in those Proforge solid sleeves you have- do you have a part number for them? -

Nice car for sure! I love the early Valiants like this and am glad you're doing it justice by putting the correct front end back on it! looks like a sweet car!

Thanks zac! Proforged p# is 105-10048. That is for the 9/16", had I known that I could switch to the larger B(?)-body tie-rods I would have, they are 11/16" and the p# for them are 105-10049.

It's getting warmer! Almost time to start back in on this puppy, really hoping I can get it all sorted so I can drive it by summer. The car spent most of its time buried under snow this winter, so instead I got my compressor temporarily hooked up so I can start wrenching sooner. Stopped by my parents place and snapped these pics.

:burnout:

C43918D9-2930-440B-A545-81CBFF0ED055_zpso9hsoypb.jpg

1BA03C6D-DC59-4E3B-912D-3906D8064DF0_zps3ralunot.jpg

-
Back