7-1/4 inch axle bearings

-

BWA

Reaction score
Any ideas on finding the correct rear axle bearings for a 7-1/4 inch rear axle with 5 stud back plates and 10 inch brakes.

That same axle comes also with 4 stud back plates and 9 inch brakes. The bearings on these axles are smaller.

I've been through a lot of online suppliers, and, they don't give enough info to let you know what they are selling.......

Any help appreciated......

I ordered a cross reference part from Napa that matches ones from Rockauto. I just replaced them in my 7 1/4 rear end that is exactly like you described. Rockauto has them as Centric Parts (part number 41164000). Your local auto parts store should be able to cross reference to this part or just order them direct from Rockauto.

That number (41164000) shows in the Rockauto catalogue as for a 9 inch drum axle ie. small bearing.......

They show 41163000 as being for 10" drums or, 7.25 rear with front discs (my car), large bearing.

I did find another number, RWC35YYR, Timkin, Federal Mogul, Bower, BCA, Car Quest all use that same number, and, I'm pretty sure it's the large bearing.

Same companies part number for the 9" brake smaller bearing is RWF34R.

Mopar number for the bigger bearing kit (comes with bearing, retainer, seal, and two gaskets) is 3420091

I think, can anybody confirm this, or, have additional information.

Thanks, Al(BWA)

Last edited:
I'm reading directly from the picture and listing on the Rockauto website and it says for Centric 41164000:

Fits Rear; 9" Brakes
Or Rear; Front Disc brakes; 7-1/4" Axle
Or Rear; 10" Brakes; 7-1/4" Axle.

Now I didn't order this part directly from Rockauto. I think the part came from either Napa or Carquest, but the part that cross referenced to this 41164000 is the part that we installed in my 10" Brakes; 7-1/4" rear, and it worked. Someone else might clarify, but this is exactly what I used. Not sure if the model car makes any difference but also note that this was for my factory rear end in a 69 Dart.

Their description is wrong, the 9" and 10" brakes definitely use two different size bearings.

Either you got lucky with the crossover, or, you also gave them the proper brake size info, and, they got it right that way.....

I just ordered direct from a Timken supplier using Part # RWC35YYR. I'll let you know what shows up....

Also found a very easy way to get the locking retainer off, dead simple, will post some pics tomorrow......

The description may be wrong. And I generally agree with everything you said about different size bearings. I'm just sharing exactly the process I just used a month ago to get new axle shaft bearings installed in my car.

I ordered a cross reference part from Napa that matches ones from Rockauto. I just replaced them in my 7 1/4 rear end that is exactly like you described. Rockauto has them as Centric Parts (part number 41164000). Your local auto parts store should be able to cross reference to this part or just order them direct from Rockauto.
What did you figure out for seals? Thx!

I found the correct rear seal from Napa. The part number is NOS 13418.
I got the parts in already. Rockauto is funny, for 2 bucks more I got the parts next day versus July 5th..I call that a deal! I just want to say, the parts fit and worked great. I would have never found those part numbers so I thank you very much!

I got the parts in already. Rockauto is funny, for 2 bucks more I got the parts next day versus July 5th..I call that a deal! I just want to say, the parts fit and worked great. I would have never found those part numbers so I thank you very much!

No problem. I just replaced the other side only a couple of weeks ago in my Dart.

New guy here with a '64 Valiant that has a bad axle and pinion seal. Any info on how to replace the seal?

-
Back