7 1/4 noise

-

Dodge6719

Reaction score
Hey guys. My rear end is making some noise and I wondered if anyone could help me out.

The sound can't be heard all the time when driving but if I go above 50mph it starts making a "houling" sound. Sometimes louder sometimes quieter. If I let the car coast and let of the accelerator the sound goes away but returns if I touch the pedal.

The rear axel outer bearings have been changed not so long ago and the rear is topped with oil.

Any ideas on what can be the issue? Tips n tricks appreciated.

First rear I rebuilt by my self was a SBP 7.25. Anywhere above 40 mph under load it sounded something like a horn blowing.
Carrier bearings, pinion bearings an seal, squash collar, etc... Approx' 150 bucks, oil and all, but that was 35 years ago. Who knows what good quality bearings might cost today. You might buy a entire rear for the same money. That's a gamble too though.
So the first thing to do is have a look at the gears you have. Mine were good ( very little wear ) and it turned out nice and quiet as we drove that car daily for almost 5 years before a LBP 7.25 went under it.

Well this was what I suspected too. :(

Guess I have to crank it open and take a look that the gears are ok.
Did some quick research and it seems like I have to spend more money on tools than parts if I can get away with just a bearing change. Rockauto had complete sets between 60-80$ + shipping. Belive SKF bearing set was 88$.

A used 7.25 costs about 200$ here but then again it is a bit of a gamble like redfish said.

So I belive I will go with switching the bearings in this one. I read in some manual I found on the internet that it is not necessary to remove the rear axel from the car for this. Is this true, i would imagine it to be very difficult to install all the gears n stuff if you do it under the car.

Not bad if you get it high enough, if the carrier is bad I have one for the ride if needed.

Sure it can be done under the car. Pinion bearing preload, smear pattern set up, etc.., would be the same whether on a lift or with the housing on a table or jack stands. 3 tall jack stands works for me.
Pulling it should require 4 new U-bolts at leaf springs. That's 35 USD more. Some do get those nuts off with heat and do reuse the U-bolts although they're not supposed to be reused.
Flush all the contaminated oil and debris from the housing, axle tubes and all, either way you go.

-
Back