7 1/4 to 8 3/4 info needed

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

I have been digging around looking for info on the 8 3/4. (sorry if this is old news to some but I did do my homework before posting, so please keep the flames to a minimum if I missed something ;^) )

The OE 7 1/4 rear has 315000 miles on it and is noisy and sloppy. Leaking from the pinion, and maybe the axles. the engine is stock 273 2bbl so not much power to the wheels. My plan was to either rebuild the OE 7 1/4 ($500 - $1500 depending on need for gears etc.) OR for the same money (most likely the higher end +) replace it with an 8 3/4.
There is a shop in town who will build an 8 3/4 rear drum to drum for a reasonable price with 10 x 2 breaks, new (not OE) axles, green bearings, and refurbished or replaced everything else.

I have been looking for a good used assy and have some leads but need some advise. stick with the 7 1/4 that has held up so long or go 8 3/4 and the relative headaches it will give me collecting all the misc parts and swapping it in.

99% of my experience with rearends is with Ford 9" and Dana full floating 3/4 ton truck.

What I am learning about the 8 3/4...

1. Stock uses a two piece bearing and a pressed on retainer ring. there is a single adjuster on the driver's side to set bearing preload on both sides. This requires a "Thrust block" between the axles in the diff so one axle can push on the other.
2. Replacement "green" bearings are like the ones in the 7 1/4, and ford 9" where the bearing is a sealed bearing and is held in by a pressed on retainer ring. there is no preload adjustment so the adjuster is removed and replaced with a plate and the "Thrust block" in the diff would need to be removed.
3. there is debate about older "Green" bearings and newer "Snap ring" "Green" Bearings and OE bearings as to which is best. "snap ring" "Green" being seen as better than old "Green" But OE is as good
4. there is info to suggest that OE bearings have a weaker diff because of the "thrust block"
5. BREAKS ( OYE! ) there are 10 x 1 3/4, 10 x 2, 10 x 2 1/2, 11 etc. the backing plate needs to match the housing and the axle and the drum. In looking, replacement drums seem to be in short supply for most of these options. (not looking to go disk)
6. 3rd member there are various units and the pinion shaft dia being the major difference so as long as the pinion and the yoke are correct any will bolt into any housing. 489 being the stoutest of the stock oe 3rd members.
7. Housings ( the easy part!) A-body 66 (or is it 67) to 68 are same and hole for breather is in the correct 67 location. 69 - 72 the breather is moved. the length, spring perch, and pinion angle are all the same from 66(?) to 72
8. I'm not even going to get into locking or open diff at his point.

Thanks for the input.

Hi All.

I have been digging around looking for info on the 8 3/4. (sorry if this is old news to some but I did do my homework before posting, so please keep the flames to a minimum if I missed something ;^) )

The OE 7 1/4 rear has 315000 miles on it and is noisy and sloppy. Leaking from the pinion, and maybe the axles. the engine is stock 273 2bbl so not much power to the wheels. My plan was to either rebuild the OE 7 1/4 ($500 - $1500 depending on need for gears etc.) OR for the same money (most likely the higher end +) replace it with an 8 3/4.
There is a shop in town who will build an 8 3/4 rear drum to drum for a reasonable price with 10 x 2 breaks, new (not OE) axles, green bearings, and refurbished or replaced everything else.

I have been looking for a good used assy and have some leads but need some advise. stick with the 7 1/4 that has held up so long or go 8 3/4 and the relative headaches it will give me collecting all the misc parts and swapping it in.

99% of my experience with rearends is with Ford 9" and Dana full floating 3/4 ton truck.

What I am learning about the 8 3/4...

1. Stock uses a two piece bearing and a pressed on retainer ring. there is a single adjuster on the driver's side to set bearing preload on both sides. This requires a "Thrust block" between the axles in the diff so one axle can push on the other.
2. Replacement "green" bearings are like the ones in the 7 1/4, and ford 9" where the bearing is a sealed bearing and is held in by a pressed on retainer ring. there is no preload adjustment so the adjuster is removed and replaced with a plate and the "Thrust block" in the diff would need to be removed.
3. there is debate about older "Green" bearings and newer "Snap ring" "Green" Bearings and OE bearings as to which is best. "snap ring" "Green" being seen as better than old "Green" But OE is as good
4. there is info to suggest that OE bearings have a weaker diff because of the "thrust block"

Pure hogwash. The green bearings suck for anything but drag racing. Run the OE Timkens, pack them well, set n' forget. They're as stout as bearings get and way better than the green bearings. I have a housing with junk ends thanks to green bearings on the street. Green bearings don't handle side load. That's why the thrust block is there.

5. BREAKS ( OYE! ) there are 10 x 1 3/4, 10 x 2, 10 x 2 1/2, 11 etc. the backing plate needs to match the housing and the axle and the drum. In looking, replacement drums seem to be in short supply for most of these options. (not looking to go disk)

It's easy. Get Strange or someone to make you the big-pattern axles with the offset for later brakes. Then rob everything from the backing plates out off an Aspen/Volare/Diplomat/Fifth Ave and you're golden.

Then when you make the inevitable swap to large-pattern front discs, you're already matched to the pattern on the rear.

6. 3rd member there are various units and the pinion shaft dia being the major difference so as long as the pinion and the yoke are correct any will bolt into any housing. 489 being the stoutest of the stock oe 3rd members.
7. Housings ( the easy part!) A-body 66 (or is it 67) to 68 are same and hole for breather is in the correct 67 location. 69 - 72 the breather is moved. the length, spring perch, and pinion angle are all the same from 66(?) to 72
Grab a housing and run. Stay away from early tapered axle stuff, IIRC.

8. I'm not even going to get into locking or open diff at his point.

Don't bother. You can add them so easily with an 8 3/4 it's not even funny.

I'm running the snapring Green Bearings on a daily driver. No issues as of yet.

Go for the 8 3/4 all the way. But is the 8 3/4 that they are rebuilding from an A-Body or B-Body?

Your drum brakes will swap over IF the 8 3/4 has the same axle stud bolt pattern. You will need new brake lines if the bigger housing you have does not have them.

I bought an a body 8 3/4 housing from doctor diff, housing with axles was 695. And purchased a disc conversion kit on ebay for about 350. Third member I recently found a good used one for 300. Then you need shock plates. I found some universals on Speedway for I think a third the cost of what oe replacements where going for at the time. It all went together pretty easy.

If you change to the 8 3/4 set up, I've got a set of shock plates. PM me if you are interested.

Your drum brakes will swap over IF the 8 3/4 has the same axle stud bolt pattern. You will need new brake lines if the bigger housing you have does not have them.

I wondered about that. Just to be sure you are understanding I have 7 1/4 rear now with 5 x 4" bolt pattern (not going to change) (67 Dart Convert GT 273 2bbl rally package, OE 4 piston Kelsey - hayes front disk)

Just a FYI, I did a 7 1/4 in my Valiant myself. Cost me $200 for seals,bearings,and spider gears(good used) add another $130 for new spider gears. Why ? Because I never rebuilt a 7 1/4. Will I do it again ? Doubtful, but I was on a budget and a 8 3/4 was out of my price range.

Go for the 8 3/4 all the way. But is the 8 3/4 that they are rebuilding from an A-Body or B-Body?
They take A, B, C etc and make it the correct length and weld (that's what I don't like. all the cutting and welding and scars left behind) perches on in the correct location and angle. I assume but haven't investigated yet that they have the correct tools to straighten after the welding so everything is aligned correctly.

FoMoCo exploder (sport trak) 8.8 about $200 complete

Standard equipped in sport trak
BBP
3.73 gears
Locker
Rear disc brakes

I will be into my 8.75" rear for about $1,300 when done. Had i known about the exploder 8.8 out of the sport trak i woulda went that route.

Will be going sport trak 8.8 on my kids 69 cuda.

The 8.8 would be good for a budget but the OP doesn't want big bolt pattern. I am a fan of the 8.8 and happy with mine.

8 3/4 and you can swap gears Friday after work for races Saturday, and put the street gears back for your commute Sunday afternoon. What better excuse to get out to the garage with some friends with pizza and beers?

There is also the Ford 8.8. New axles for the small bolt pattern, and you call it good.

Just remember to wash up in the garage sink before you go in the house... ask me how I know. :(

8 3/4 and you can swap gears Friday after work for races Saturday, and put the street gears back for your commute Sunday afternoon. What better excuse to get out to the garage with some friends with pizza and beers?

Isn't that right out of Don Garlits's playbook?

But back to your question. If you must change rear ends, now would be the time to go to an 8.75, and most people here will recommend that. You don't want to put much money into the 7-1/4. However, several times on this site, I have seen 7-1/4 rear ends (drum-to-drum) offered for free. Of course shipping is something else.

You all have convinced me to go for it. now on to the part hunt. Regarding ford 8.8... putting a Ford part into a Dodge is a sacrilege! Next it will be a SB Chevy, what is the world coming to! ;^)

I got denso parts, GM parts, and a hyundai part in mine lol, so whats a furd axle among friends lol

I say you have 2 options, find and build a nice 8 3/4" or find a cheap local 7 1/4" and just swap that in!!! With patience and a little luck, you can put together a nice A body 8 3/4" rear on the cheap, complete with a suregrip in it!! Start keeping your eyes and ears open for deals on 8 3/4" components!!

-
Back