71 clutch and brake pedals

-

ripper383

Reaction score
I'm installing a 4 speed in my 71 dart. Will 1969 dart pedles work ? Someone told me that a 71 has to have 1971 or 1972 pedles. Any help is appreciated.

67-76 are all the same for the most part. Some of the 340 cars came with an "HD" set of pedals that had an extra brace on the pedal mount, but everything else was exactly the same.

69 pedals will not have a neutral safety switch which a 71 should have.

If you don't mind not having that feature then all is ok, but if you have to have the feature just because it goes with your year then you have a slight issue there.

most are not picky, some are. Just so you know.

But not all the pedal sets before '71 were HD. Basically, any pedal set that isn't an HD set will work for sure. They might not all be "correct" because of the neutral switch, but all would work fine.

As for the HD pedals, I'd need to get a measurement to show that they actually had a longer throw. The clutch pedal pivot is in the same place, the pedal itself is the same length, so the stroke on the clutch pedal itself is the same. It's hard to tell from the pictures above, but it looks to me like most of the additional pin-pin length comes from the section of arm that has the spring mounted on it being longer from the spring mount to the pivot. That changes the mechanical advantage on the spring, but not the throw on the clutch. Which would make sense, because the spring was heavier. That way the effort to work the clutch would be similar as the non-340 cars.

I checked all of my pedal sets (4), but all are non-HD pedals. So I can't measure the length of the arm with the clutch pedal rod mount. The length of the arm from the pivot to the clutch rod mounting pin would be the key length. On the non-HD pedals (the ones with the 5.25" pin-pin length) that arm is ~2" from the centerline of the pedal pivot to the center of the clutch rod mounting pin. If that distance is the same on the HD pedals, it doesn't matter which set you use with exception of the spring, which gets removed if you have a diaphragm type clutch anyway.

This is what I'm talking about...

IMG_2802.jpg

Last edited:
I may be using wrong terminology. If you look through the links, some of the photos "Oldmanmopar" posted, some of the pedal sets definately had a different throw than others

Ok, I went back and looked up the mopar muscle article that explains what's going on here. The article is here

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/mopp-1012-four-speed-a-body-clutch-pedal-adjustment/

The ratio on some of the pedals is different, and that does translate to a longer arm on the clutch rod mount side of the pedal.

But, here's the thing. That won't stop you from being able to use those pedals. As the other thread points out, the pedals with the pin-pin measurement of 6" came out of 340 cars and /6 cars alike. The pedal ratio is different, but nothing else changes. The vast majority of A-body's had the 5 1/4" pin to pin measurement.

So, again, for the OP, you can use any pedals from 67-76. The '69 and earlier pedals won't have the neutral switch provision, but the pedals will still work fine.

-
Back