71 Dart 410 stroker ..

-
Bummer!
So, dropped valve, coolant in oil..............bad head or cyl........ a head would hurt the least.

exhaust leak was on opposite side.....

also no.8 cylinder wall is cracked...so we have a cracked cylinder wall...beat up piston and combustion chamber....and broken exhaust valve..

20171110_171858_resized.jpg

20171110_171921_resized.jpg

20171110_171914_resized.jpg

went we towed it back to the pit....there was no water in the oil....yet....lol

So have you figured out why the valve dropped? Them picture look way to familiar to me. Only i drop a intake valve that cracked the cyl wall and then broke the head of the valve off, and shoved it threw the seat sideways. That was the first head that i attempted to port because of the big difference between the hardened intake seat/ bowl(to save the head) and all the rest. Any ways my dropped valve was because i installed shims under the valve springs and the back intake i couldn't give it a good smack, to set the lock. top of first gear, she let good and made a mess similar to your.

Well..I am not sure if the valve dropped...the valve stem was there with the retainer and keeper in place...It looks like the head of the valve came apart....but I dont what cause it all...
I thought it had broken a rod...and the rod hit the head....cause at the track the spark plug looked like it had been hit by the piston....but the rod is fine...so if the exhaust valve head came apart....i guess it would wedge between the piston and head and beating up the spark plug....the cracked cylinder wall dont know if it was the cause or results of all the other crap happening...

so I am not sure if I want to sleeve this block....

Wow! you haven't made many passes on it! must have been a manufacturer flaw!?!?
It would only take one sleeve..... but i did the same, it was a. 060 over block and i found another one and started over.
still have the 340 block.....for someday.......

this one is a .040 over...and it is one of the early 360 blocks....so I will talk to the machine shop this week...the guy is getting a brand new machine for blocks...does bushing and all kinds of stuff including sleeving...maybe i will be first in line...LOL

So where did the valve stem separate at???? I would be real "gun shy" about all the rest of the valves....now!
.040" over block is work it........a new sleeve can't be as expensive as remachining another block.

I just when back and look at your pics again........so the valve stem didn't brake? just the head broke into pieces? I don't think i have ever seen that. A piece torched but not shattered like that.
So you think you will be able to save the head?
Looks like the ring landing is crushed on the piston.

I google head repair last night...I seen some worst then mine being repaired...and yes...I wonder about the rest of the exhaust valves the intakes 2.08 are new..

In my opinion it don't look that bad. Yes welding it back up and smoothed back to pe accident would be the best way.
It's hard to tell with just a picture but i think you could clean that head up with some sandpaper rolls............ yes you will have a little less compression in that cyl.............clean it up, cc it, and then decide if it's time for professional help. I know this is not something that you do..........but what is it going to cost you........a hand full of sand paper rolls. If they weld it up......you will need new intake and exh seat as well. might be as cheap to buy a new casting and put you stuff in it. Just kind a thinking out loud here.

Got too much money invested in this head to bail on it....Got a new set of exhaust valves coming....

What you'll learn is how good the quality is of your aluminum head when it becomes time to have it repaired. That was the downfall of my W5 program. The head literally crumbled when they tried to weld it. One of my current W8 heads has been welded as it had a valve head stuck in it. You can't even tell it's been worked on. if there's no one local give Brian a call. I'm sure he's "been there...done that". Precision Cylinder Heads in Cedar City would be a good contact too.

Pretty much was going to take a trip to Indio ca in a few weeks....got another eddy that needs minor repair also....cheaper by the dozen...

Wow! Heck of a time. I hope all goes well and quick for you.

Well..I am not sure if the valve dropped...the valve stem was there with the retainer and keeper in place...It looks like the head of the valve came apart....but I dont what cause it all...
I thought it had broken a rod...and the rod hit the head....cause at the track the spark plug looked like it had been hit by the piston....but the rod is fine...so if the exhaust valve head came apart....i guess it would wedge between the piston and head and beating up the spark plug....the cracked cylinder wall dont know if it was the cause or results of all the other crap happening...

so I am not sure if I want to sleeve this block....

Tony do you see any signs of the valves hitting the Pistons lightly in any of the other 7 cylinders.
I did not see a valve to piston check in your build.
I had a friend with a big block chev had a failure just like that.
We found out the machinist had taken a light cut on the heads during a freshen up which decreased the clearance. It was not checked and we figure the piston hit the valve and bent it just enough for it to hang open on the next cycle and then kaboom it was all over.
We could see very light indentations on the other cylinders. This was the telling sign. Just a thought. Sorry about your luck.
Hopefully it can be fixed though.

Would love to hear some possible explanations on that valve. I've seen plenty that snapped the head off, but to come apart like that..... Can't recall ever seeing one that broke in that nature.

Looking at the other 7 pistons ...none show any sign of eyebrows from either the intake or exhaust valve....these exhaust valves are the original stainless steel valves that came with the eddy heads. We are running PAC 1903 springs...about 145 lbs on the seat ...and 370ish over the nose....Brian set them up last year went I changed from 2.02 to 2.08.......

As far as what broke first I have no clue....my best guess the valve broke and cause the rest of the damage...the cylinder wall is cracked in 3 different places....one piece of exhaust valve ended up in NO. 2 cylinder ...putting a small dent in the piston....going to replace that one also...but no damage to the head....

so moving a head....engine is completly torn apart....all scat rods and K1 crank are good...

Would love to hear some possible explanations on that valve. I've seen plenty that snapped the head off, but to come apart like that..... Can't recall ever seeing one that broke in that nature.

There is always a First everything...I will put it in my pocket and bring it out to the track this weekend....

Dropped block off at Machine shop....will be fixed in a couple of weeks....

two replacement pistons are on their way....IC744 .040 ...one left and one right.

and 8 new exhaust valves....

-
Back