71 dart swinger tires

-

DdgeDartboi

the beast
Reaction score
ok guys i have a set of slotted 14inch mag wheels all around on my swinger....195/70R14 on the front and 215/70R14 on the back what is the biggest tire that will fit in the wheel well with those 14 inch wheels.... i love the wheels and would love to stick with them... if i can fitj ust some 235s back there i would be happy but it seems to be cutting it close....

i may need to just suck it up and use the 215s and deal with the traction issues on the strip cause i am not wanting to move my leafs or tub it out i want to keep it completely "stock looking" well if anyone could help me out here it would be much appreciated

yeah to tell you the truth i just trailored the swinger here i am used to my little steel wheels and hubs on the 4 door custom i had and im just now getting used to the swinger so im not sure what the offset is... how can i figure that one out...? i would really like to know... cause with the 215 it is wierd cause when i push on the back of the car and bounce it a little i have about a half inch clearance between the wheel well trim piece and the wheel thats on the passenger side but then on the driver side there is about 2 inches of space there.... and i can't figure out for the life of me why that is.... maybe one of you guys could help me out

I own a 71 Dart swinger did a 4.5 bolt pattern conversion. With my current tire package i have maxed out all the room the factor wheel well has to offer.
I run 18x8 centerline stingrays with 5" back space. With 245/40/18 nitto555's
Now this is the same diamiter of the stock tires (25.5"), But with the 5" back space it will fill in the wheel well all the way. I have about half an inch to the leaf spring and a finger in between the fender. Now the front I got very lucky on with the turning radious. full lock right or left the rear of the rim just misses the frame by half an inch. So 8"rim will max out all the room but you need a 5" backspace. Now for your current sizes, The rim you have should have is only a 14x6 rim. 215 is the widest you can fit on that rim.

I believe the factor rallies have a 6mm positive offset but I'm not postive. Will look for my coversion table. 14x7 you should be able to get a 225 on there, but once again you can't but a performance tire for 14" rims.

:: scratches head:: actually i just am investing my money in either mickey thompson Indy s/s which are performance tires for a 14 inch rim or BF goodwrinch im not sure yet but they do sale 14 inch tires for my rim trust me i used to work at a National Tire & Battery... they do make a performance tire for a 14.... my only question was with the rim i am running what TIRE will fit in the wheel well without me having to tub it or make any major mods

DdgeDartboi said:
ok guys i have a set of slotted 14inch mag wheels all around on my swinger....195/70R14 on the front and 215/70R14 on the back what is the biggest tire that will fit in the wheel well with those 14 inch wheels.... i love the wheels and would love to stick with them... if i can fitj ust some 235s back there i would be happy but it seems to be cutting it close....

i may need to just suck it up and use the 215s and deal with the traction issues on the strip cause i am not wanting to move my leafs or tub it out i want to keep it completely "stock looking" well if anyone could help me out here it would be much appreciated

Now, you wanted to know what the biggest tire was you could run on your 14x7 inch rim without tubing. I doesn't madder what the width of the tire is because it's always going to be a 7inch rim. 215 or 225or 235's the width of the tire will not change, but the extra materal will be in the sidewall. The 225/60/14 will be the same width as a 215/60/14 on the same rim but the 225/60/14 will have a little bit taller sidewall. so if you stick to the 14x7 inch rim you should never have to tub, you could even fit a 8 inch rim under there.

If this doesn't help, I run a 8inch rim with 245/40/18 tires and they max out all the room the factor wheelwell has to offer on a dart. so you could run a 245 tire but I don't think the 7inch rim will hold that wide of a tire. The 225 you want to purchase will be fine, but won't be any wider than the 215 you alreay have. But maybe you could pick up a performance rubber in that 225 size. That will out perform a 215tire. :) good luck!

i know the width of my RIM will not change but you have to realize i was just asking what you all were running and the backspacing you were running without tubbing the wheel.... if you have a 14x7 WHEEL and you put a 215/60R14 on the 7 inch wide wheel the tread size of the tire is going to be 215mm wide...... if you put a 235/60R14 on a 7 inch wide wheel the tire tread is going to be 235mm the tire size does change with the first number changing that is what the first number is...... the "60" is how big the sidewall of the tire is.... the sidewall will not change depending on the wheel size.... yes it will look a little odd if i try to put like a 245 on a 7 inch wide rim cause it would mushroom out at the sides but if i put a 235 on a 7 inch rim that gives me almost a half inch more TREAD on the tire.... i know about tires and wheels and backspacing.... as i stated before i worked for a NTB for almost a year and have been around cars my entire life..... i was just wondering what the size tire i can fit there without tubbing seeing as how i have the wheel well trim and all i don't want the tire to be rubbing but thats enough on this post..... i am just going to take my car back up to my buddies shop and try on the tires till i see what size will fit without the rubbing of the wheel well..... thanks for all the "information" but i just decided to go by trial and error until i find the one i like that wont rub..... thanks though anyways

Toby

-
Back