'72 Scamp Can I just fix the front brakes to get it home?

-
You do know that most accidents occur close to home?
That is a misleading statistic.
MOST of our travels are close to home so naturally, most of the accidents will be too.
Did you know that most vehicle accidents occur to automobile drivers?
There are MORE cars being driven than motorcycles or skateboards!

01 funny 8.jpg

Any car that's been sitting 25 years is going to need all of the wheel cylinders, rubber hoses, and master cylinder replaced. Been there, done that.
I get that you're in Montana, lots of open space, etc.
Save yourself and potentially someone else a tremendous amount of grief and get a tow truck or a buddy with a trailer.
It's just not worth the risk.

True story back in the day (80s) this neighborhood drunk type guy asked my buddy to help him flat tow a VW beetle. It was after dark kind of late my buddy says "not now see me tomorrow..." the guy couldn't wait, and I cant remember if he was drunk or not (probably was) he gets a chain and goes to flat tow that VW by himself with a van. At every stop the VW slammed into the back of his van all the way to his house. By the time he got it there, the VW was smashed up, and the back of the van was totaled Can't make this stuff up... :lol:

Thanks for all the replies. I never intended to drive an unsafe car on the road, I just preferred to work on it in my own garage. However where it sits right now at my Grandmas I have plenty of shop space and tools there to fix it up properly.

The master in my 67 Dart 4 wheel drum has 2 reservoirs but the cap does not show that.

It looks like it is a big rectangular single piston

OP, the question you initially asked was not clear as to your intentions. It lead everyone to believe, a; you didn't know much about brake systems and b; you had no intention of driving an unsafe car. If you are offended by some of our posts, those are the reasons you got the snide comments.

OP, the question you initially asked was not clear as to your intentions. It lead everyone to believe, a; you didn't know much about brake systems and b; you had no intention of driving an unsafe car. If you are offended by some of our posts, those are the reasons you got the snide comments.

It's all good, I wasn't offended at all. I should of been more clear on my OP, but that's why I'm here, to ask questions and learn as much as I can about this car.

I have a '72 Scamp with no brakes at all (the e-brake slightly works) I want to drive this thing 15 miles to my garage so I can get it in my garage to fully work on it. Right now I have absolutely no idea how this braking system works. If I were able to just get the front brakes to work will that be good enough to get it home or does this system need all 4 to work? It's a manual brake system with drums on all corners. The plan is to do the front wheel cylinder, rubber lines, shoes, and springs.
Hey, I have a 72 Scamp and I live in Montana. If you have a truck rent a car trailer. Only $45 here for 4 hours. Tow truck probably $200 or higher. Buy brake parts with the savings!

-
Back