72 Swinger Project

-

Dartn440

Reaction score
As I am just about finished with my 74 360 project I am turning my attention to the 72 440 project. Originally a s6 Florida car I picked it up in VA going on 2 years ago. Car is straight, Inferno Red Paint. Planned black interior. Would love to put in buckets, but bench for now. Motor is a date coded 72 440 with OEM big valve heads just under 10:1 compression built by a guy up the road from me. Just picked up the headers and will start the build full force in August-September.

Attachments

• 72 Side.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,131
  • 72 Front1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3,039
Ok...still planning but as with most of what I see and read...a work in progress takes turns. Was originally going to rebuild the front end with PST components and stick with stock K. Decided that I will save my pennies and go with an HDK set up in front and Caltracs in the the rear. Moser axles. I have gotten an outpouring of advice on cooling the 440 in my radiator thread...just need to decide once I lower the car onto the new front end. TTI headers were the big purchase last month so the motor can go back on the run stand before install. At a standstill for now.

...Decided that I will save my pennies and go with an HDK set up in front and Caltracs in the the rear...

...just noticed this; I suspect this will be a continuing trend...I had the same thought here a few months ago after looking at John's build with Denny's super slammer. Too bad mine will be on the back burner for 4 years. Countdown to Hickam in 13 days!

Moving along on collecting part for the 72. Ordered front and rear suspension components, fuel lines, tank, sending unit, and a host of other knick knacks. Have to get a bunch of other front end stuff for the HDK system. Glad my wife loves me!

B Body rear removed and A Body housing mocked into place with CalTracs leafs. New tank and final install pending.

Attachments

• rear susp 4.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,763
  • rear susp 3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,808
Engine bay before front suspension removed.

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,808
  • engine bay1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,779
Pile of parts from TTI/HDK/Caltracs

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,775
  • hdk2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,748
Will post some more pics soon. Rear Caltracs suspension is in and the A body rear is about to receive some new Moser axles. Fun fact was that markings on the housing were correct for the car. All cleaned up and ready for gears.

This is going to be what allows the car to be rolled over the motor and front end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2,460
-
Back