72 Swinger Project

-
I am glad you like it. Hope it helps. I am not quite done, but I am at least driving it now while I finish. In the future I am going to find the stuff that covers fenders and such to prevent scratches. Paint needs addressed. Got a parade in the morning....

NICE build read the whole thread! My Demon has an all original body- wiring included, I went through it all used the slant 6 harness for the big block, rewired the factory electronic ignitin hack job(more than likely done at a dealer ship), wired in a Toyota alt, and ditched the VR on the firewall, and only the oil pressure/brake lights on the dash work as well as a 12v/ wideband A/F work.. my fuel/ water temp gauges don't work for some reason I'm sure I over looked something or something isn't getting connection..

First off, thank you. I am a novice, but had some good folks helping me. The funny thing is that when I was building it to be a "factory" 72 440 I found that even on the early BB darts, the wiring harness was just hacked into to run a wire to dizzy. I did not feel compelled to spend the coin on a full custom harness. I still have a few bugs on the dash to overcome. All gauges work...lights on dash do not...despite my changing to LED bulbs....

First off, thank you. I am a novice, but had some good folks helping me. The funny thing is that when I was building it to be a "factory" 72 440 I found that even on the early BB darts, the wiring harness was just hacked into to run a wire to dizzy. I did not feel compelled to spend the coin on a full custom harness. I still have a few bugs on the dash to overcome. All gauges work...lights on dash do not...despite my changing to LED bulbs....
Funny! My dash lights work but gauges do not! - Ya all I had to do basically was extend the dist wires, and shorten the oil pressure/coolant temp wires - but I did it the hard way and rewired everything on the engine harness, and relayed the head lights

Now that I think the alternator wires probably would have needed extended as well..

Yep. Wiring in the electric fan caused some issues so what eventually did was hard wire it to a fan switch and light down by the map light switch. I am going back and forth on starting this 72 Demon build. I had the thought on that one to do full new wiring harnesses.

Wife got dressed up today to go to a Police recognition and fundraiser....and no one showed up but about 12 people. Came home and she looked like this! Had to snap a shot even though the lighting was crap.

Attachments

• DSC_0009 (2).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC_0014 (2).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 424
Stupid question of the day. Have a Meizere water pump on this car. Have replaced the temp sensor and guage once. Back to not reading again. Looking for a loose wire or connection. Any way I can tell if pump is doing its job? Pump is mounted to stock housing.

Break in the weather for a bit. Fired up the wife's Camaro and went after my electrical on this car. I had a nut hair over 12V from the alternator when I out it together. Sooooo that sucked and lasted a day or two. Short of charging it every day that wasn't going to work. Adjusted tension and went through wiring. 0 draw and 15V from Alt. Yay.

Still have a bit more to do. Put a quick connect and a fuse in the line for the electric fan and neatened up the wire looms. I have the stock hold downs to replace the wire ties I have in there now. Still need to hook up the wiper motor and reservoir.

Attachments

• P2260069.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 393
  • P2260070.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 352
  • P2260071.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 367
  • P2260072.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 355
Aloha you are an inspiration to me as my son and daughter start our build of a 72 dart swinger I love the work you did. And the car is beautiful we are going with a sb. She a beauty !

Ok, Gremlin ride 20...smelled antifreeze after a ride. Small leak from a hose, but something more from driver's side head bolts leaking down header....grrr. Does it ever stop or do I just suck at this?

Update, coolant leak fixed, exhaust leak near valley pan on intake fixed, wipers, interior lights, door panels, seat belts, ready for a major hand polish before the rock. Besides scratches in paint all is well. Still need to wire in stereo and build trunk boxes, but that can wait.

I thought I had the coolant leak fixed, but the radiator is now out as it is leaking from the core. I bought it here from a member and there are no part numbers on it. I have missed every show this year so far....grrrrr.

Gremlins return. This car was meant to look stock so I opted to avoid a floor shifter. Have had to fabricate some items along the way. Shifter linkage binds on tti headers. They make a piece for 727TF, but not for A body, why? Because a 440 doesn't go in there...lol! What ends up happening is the selector doesn't match trans shifter position. Car won't start because it thinks it's in gear or its in D2 or some other variant. Adjustments needed. Demon gets a floor shifter....just saying!

Ok. Carrier out for inspection. Machine shop for shim to center drums. Moser center is smaller diameter than hub on drum bell. Creates drag on drum. Carrier should be fine. Like riding with rear brakes on. This rear was set up in VA. I assumed it was set and did not tear into it. Should have.

Ok, running and driving again. This car does not like long trips in the heat. After about 45 minutes at 60mph temp got to 210F and seemed like it wanted to go higher. Running without a thermostat now. Just pulled the 195 based on some member recommendations. Neither seems to matter. 4 core aluminum radiator and dual electric fans. Miezere water pump. Bought from Dart540 2 years ago. Tested and working. Can't find any markings regarding flow. My buddy is pushing me to take it all off and go with a fan and HP water pump. I am leaning towards leaving my clean *** **** alone and upgrading the pump. Thoughts? New TQ converter ordered for 3600 stall. Cruising at 55-60mph and hit it I am going 100mph quickly but from the hole I might outrun it on foot. Getting there....

image.jpg

image.jpg

-
Back