72 Swinger Project

-
Still ironing out some issues with this one, but running and driving. Last minute stereo install and quick subwoofer in trunk. Hid the stereo in the glove box. Will build a custom trunk piece when I get back and install 2 10" speakers there. For now...I got tunes, even speakers in the kick panels.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks! This car went back up on the lift for a new higher stall TQ converter. Just wasn't running right with the other. This one would really benefit from an overdrive trans or another set of gears or both. Snaps your head back on starts and is fast, but highway rpm is a bit higher than the sweet spot. I learned a lot about what not to do on the 74 and this one. Making the Demon build much easier.

Ok. So just could not get this motor to dial in for ****. It was making power, but not like it should. Addressed TQ converter, electronics, carb, valves, you name it. Nothing seemed to get it right. Well a lobe on the camshaft was wiped. So torn down completely to start from scratch. I am sack deep in the Demon and now have this one apart. Motor in foreground is 496 stroker plant for Demon. Motor for this car is in pieces behind it. **** happens. Just wondering if I should stroker while apart?

IMG_0843.JPG

My buddy was trying to convince me to put one of my low deck motors in the car. Said the 440 is a pain in the *** to work on. Not going to disagree, but it totally defeats the purpose of the build. Not interested in that option for sure....

There goes your budget!!
Ha....not sure I ever had one. Decided I am going to put together a stroker for this car. Need to build and sell a few motors for that. Demon should be alive soon. 74 going up for sale soon too. Wife gave up her van for my truck. I won't be home for another bunch of months....her truck until then.

Wow....nice truck!! I have an 04 2500 Cummins quad cab that's the only new vehicle I've ever owned. I hope you have as good a luck with this truck as I have with mine. My red truck is like my guns......"From my cold dead hands!" LOL. I'd sell every old car I own before I'd get rid of my truck. :)

Well I had my first truck 11 years. Bought a 1500 in 2014 then traded it in so my daughter could have a car and not worry about hers breaking down anymore. Since I knew I was leaving I bought that 79 and drove it until I deployed. Sold it last month. Wife's minivan was sitting just under 100,000 miles. I bought the extended warranty to 100k. Last month trans acting up so she decided to dump it and get this for me. Was looking at a 2016 model at one dealer that was $13k off but local dealer gave her 2017 for $800 more. Done buying trucks....lol now she has to decide what she wants! Maybe I can talk her into buying a Power Wagon...lol

My wife & I looked at a Chrysler Pacifica mini van a while back, and that sucker was NICE! It had all the buttons and doo dads, but there's no way I'd shell out that much money and still only have a mini van. I'd buy a 1500 Ecodiesel truck first for the same $$$ !

My wife & I looked at a Chrysler Pacifica mini van a while back, and that sucker was NICE! It had all the buttons and doo dads, but there's no way I'd shell out that much money and still only have a mini van. I'd buy a 1500 Ecodiesel truck first for the same $$$ !
Yep, she looked at the same. We had a need for the mini-van with the six kids. The older two are now driving and on their own. My son won't be able to have a car first year of school so I can use that as commuter car when I get back. She is deciding. We drove two cars to haul kids and luggage on trips before, we can do it again. I have 7 years before the next two are driving.

Core motor and trans is on its way to the shop. Will have my son get there and tear it down for machining. Two 72 motors to choose from on this in case the cores don't machine out where I want. Started collecting parts and this will have a 440 source stroker plant in it. The motor that was in the car will be up for sale as soon as it is reassembled. Sent everything out to be checked and all new bearings, seals, rings, etc. Demon still moving along as well. Can't put a number on the 74 to sell but it will need to go to make room in the garage at some point.

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

Who do you use for machine work? There is a dude down your way who had a motor in the Engine Masters thing a few years ago, and it sounds like he's pretty good. I saw him in one of the Mopar mags with David Klutz' ugly mug! :p :D

Who do you use for machine work? There is a dude down your way who had a motor in the Engine Masters thing a few years ago, and it sounds like he's pretty good. I saw him in one of the Mopar mags with David Klutz' ugly mug! :p :D
I don't know the name. I just hand it off to my buddy. He has been using them for an eternity. I tried a shop near my house on the 408. That was the one that the fresh heads dropped a valve on and I had to start from scratch. Mike has been building motors for years. Good old school dude. I'll find out who he uses if you want.

That's ok, I was just curious. I'm plumb in the other end of the state, and there's a really good old school machinist right over the mountain in Greeneville, TN that most of us local Mopar guys use.

I gotcha. Well let your buddies know I will have a nice 72 440 for sale in short order. Proceeds to fund the new power plant. My boy went to the shop today and cleaned transmissions for me....priced all the components for new build. Picked up some parts for another 440 that will be built to sell as well.

Ok. Transmissions cleaned 727TF gone through and rebuilt to put behind the 440 to sell. Funds required to continue the stroker motor build for this car and get it back on the road. I have not decided which RB power plant to choose at this point.....too many options. Son tore down another 440 to build to sell as well. Both will be up on eBay before long.

-
Back