727 and 8 1/4

-

74Dart318

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Starting to research and figure out what to do with the Dart. Just posted a thread on the restorations page and one on the sb engine page.

I currently have a 727 that was rebuilt with a shift kit and installed about 60k miles ago. The tranny has been pretty awesome but it started leaking pretty badly the last year or so. I think the torque converter is probably dying. I am planning on taking the tranny out while I rebuild the engine.

I want to clean up the tranny and reseal it as well as get a new converter. I don't know much about torque converters. The engine will hopefully be around 400hp.

The rear end I believe is a 8 1/4 and it must have pretty low gears since it was getting around 18 mpg on the freeway going 65-70 mph. I want to just rebuild it and I would like to make it a posi trac and probably leave the gearing.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

If you need a sure grip for low gears I have a nos one. Bought it and found out it will not work for 355's. P/N 18-05-039-903 I believe for 2.73 and lower.

If you need a sure grip for low gears I have a nos one. Bought it and found out it will not work for 355's. P/N 18-05-039-903 I believe for 2.73 and lower.

Thanks Halifaxhops. I believe that one is for a 2:45 gear or lower. So when I finally get around to taking my rear out to see what it is I will let you know.

-
Back