727 bearing dimensions

-

rod440

Reaction score
I'm looking for dimensions for the output shaft bearing for my '72 727 TF. The bearing that was in the trans has about .001/.002" clearance between the tailshaft housing & the outer race & about the same between the output shaft & the inner race.It is a metric bearing,35 x 72 x 17. Is this the right bearing? It doesn't look like it spun in the bore or on the shaft. I don't know the history of this trans but it doesn't look like its ever been messed with,and the bearing itself is good,just concerned about the fit. Thanks! Rod

I just went out to the garage and measured mine...
O.D. 2.8348
I.D. 1.378
LOA .668

Jeff

I just went out to the garage and measured mine...
O.D. 2.8348
I.D. 1.378
LOA .668

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, now I know my bearing is the same.How is the fit in the extension housing & the output shaft? The shaft diameter on mine is about 1.376".

Thanks Jeff, now I know my bearing is the same.How is the fit in the extension housing & the output shaft? The shaft diameter on mine is about 1.376".
Its not a snug fit at all.....I think it kinda floats in the bath of transmission fluid.....

Jeff

There are two bearings for the output shaft on a 727. Both fit from 1962 - 01.
2.833" OD
2.440" OD
If your transmission has never been messed with, consider the fact that the bearing is 46 years old. For what that bearing would cost, I'd just change it.

-
Back