727 Issue With 2-3 Upshift

-

threewood

Reaction score
This is a rebuilt 1976 727 auto mated to my 440. I also installed a TF-2 Transgo shift kit during the rebuild (followed all directions to a T), 3500 PTC converter, 5400 rpm governor, Bouchillion Cable.

My issue: If I adjust the kickdown to be close to all the way back at WOT the upshift is delayed i.e. stays at 5400-5500 until I let up. But the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts during normal driving are about perfect. If I adjust the kickdown back the other way it will shift crisply at 5500 rpms but the upshifts from 1-2 and 2-3 during normal driving are very fast and feel inconsistent. I have found no middle ground.

My Theory: Throttle pressure is overpowering governor pressure when it is adjusted tighter and isn't letting the governor do it's thing. When adjusted looser, the line pressure is too low to affect crisp up shifts. Possibly due to the heavier springs and adjustments in the TF-2 kit...(see pic)
20180120_150929.jpg

If I reinstall the stock PR springs and set the adjustments back to stock will this resolve my issue? Is there any way to up pressure in the governor circuit so it overcomes throttle pressure?

I shouldn't shift that late, we did that kit for my friends car and he had to change the gov spring and weights to get it to shift later.

First hunch is your Bouchillon throttle-linkage is NOT following the factory-designed specs as to 'throw', ratio and distance from throttle-shaft center.
That's however more for stock-ish applications but you might look into it.

First hunch is your Bouchillon throttle-linkage is NOT following the factory-designed specs as to 'throw', ratio and distance from throttle-shaft center.
That's however more for stock-ish applications but you might look into it.

The throttle lever on the trans is the one from the Bouchillion kit as well as the carb adaptor, hooked up per their directions. 800cfm Edelbrock Thunder carb and adaptors.
I'm puzzled because there is no sweet spot in adjustment. The governor is being kept from working at wot.

The throttle lever on the trans is the one from the Bouchillion kit as well as the carb adaptor, hooked up per their directions. 800cfm Edelbrock Thunder carb and adaptors.
I'm puzzled because there is no sweet spot in adjustment. The governor is being kept from working at wot.

I have the A500OD trans (904 with overdrive) with the TF2 kit and the cable TP and my "sweet spot" is about within .020 of cable adjustment.
Point is, maybe you are adjusting it back and forth too much and missing it.

I have the A500OD trans (904 with overdrive) with the TF2 kit and the cable TP and my "sweet spot" is about within .020 of cable adjustment.
Point is, maybe you are adjusting it back and forth too much and missing it.

Anything is possible, I'll mess around some more.

Don't forget the adjustment at the valve in the valve body. You should make sure it is adjusted correctly according to the FSM, since it still does retain its automatic function. If it is out there, you will never get it right from outside the pan.

Don't forget the adjustment at the valve in the valve body. You should make sure it is adjusted correctly according to the FSM, since it still does retain its automatic function. If it is out there, you will never get it right from outside the pan.

I remember setting it. Because the throttle valve tip is ground down it had to be set by air gap, which i set at 1/8". The factory procedure wouldn't work because it was modified.

I’ve installed the Bouchillon setup on more than one vehicle and really like it. I’d consider the factory procedure only a starting point. Once you’re in the ballpark then a tiny adjustment (as others have said) can make a big difference. You can adjust at the carb brackets or by depressing the very difficult to depress black button at the cable end allowing it to ratchet forward or back in small increments.

I’ll also add that if the kick down sleeve is accidentally installed backwards you’ll get a similar problem that no amount of cable adjusting will fix.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=68489.jpg

I’ve installed the Bouchillon setup on more than one vehicle and really like it. I’d consider the factory procedure only a starting point. Once you’re in the ballpark then a tiny adjustment (as others have said) can make a big difference. You can adjust at the carb brackets or by depressing the very difficult to depress black button at the cable end allowing it to ratchet forward or back in small increments.

I’ll also add that if the kick down sleeve is accidentally installed backwards you’ll get a similar problem that no amount of cable adjusting will fix.

View attachment 1715132581
Thanks. The black button is useless lol. The sleeve is installed correctly. I have it to where it will shift at wot but hangs there ever so slightly before the shift. The normal 1-2 and 2-3 upshift is better as well. I might play more tomorrow. Makes me want to install a 4 speed :)

I am a fan of the single rod kickdown which I have in my Belvedere. Very simple but getting the throws correct on a non stock application would make me go crazy.

Thanks. The black button is useless lol. The sleeve is installed correctly. I have it to where it will shift at wot but hangs there ever so slightly before the shift. The normal 1-2 and 2-3 upshift is better as well. I might play more tomorrow. Makes me want to install a 4 speed :)

I am a fan of the single rod kickdown which I have in my Belvedere. Very simple but getting the throws correct on a non stock application would make me go crazy.
That black button sucks for sure, until u screw w/ and finally put a pair of pliers on it, I had to use a fuel line clamp on mine afterward.
Do you have to change springs when u add a higher shifting governor ???????

That black button sucks for sure, until u screw w/ and finally put a pair of pliers on it, I had to use a fuel line clamp on mine afterward.
Do you have to change springs when u add a higher shifting governor ???????

Not necessarily. Sometimes you do if the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points are different rpms. I haven't had issues with the shift points being very far off but A&A can send off a couple springs to try out and you just return the ones you don't need. I think the determining factor in my case is the shift kit. It adds another variable as the increased line pressure makes the auto shift higher to begin with.

I have a 5800rpm governor in my 62 without a shift kit and it shifts perfectly on both up shifts.

What ratio of lever do u have? How many turns r ur bands set at? I hate those cables because they r hard to get set properly. Kim

The lever is the one that came with the cable kit. Low band is 72 in/lb minus 2 turns, kickdown band is 72 in/lb minus 2.5 turns.

Don't change the pressure regulator spring or you'll lose shift quality that you gained by installing the shift kit. Higher line pressure is what helps give you firm shifts

-
Back