727 transmission questions

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I'm installing a rebuilt 360 into my 73 dart swinger. The car currently has a 318 and a 904 trans, and I'm wanting to put in a 727. I have a balanced flex plate for the 904 as the 360 is externally balanced but changed my mind as a 727 will be able to handle the power better.

The 360 came with a 4 speed manual out of a truck so I don't have a torque converter. The 727 has a converter I think but I'm going to get a different converter.

My main questions are, can I buy a weighted torque converter and not use a flex plate? And what can I use from the 904, does the flywheel fit? And because it's a small block going in I assume the bell housing is interchangeable from a 904 and a 727? I think I have a flywheel but I haven't really looked at the 727 too much yet.

This is a pretty easy swap I've been told, I hope I was told correctly, if not should I just upgrade my 904 to handle more power?

904 is a better choice !!!!!!! Use the search function here or go to the trany thread--Steve

you need a flexplate with an automatic transmission...no flywheel...

yes..you can use a weighted converter for a 360....and use a stock 727 flexplate...

it is simpler to buy the B&M 360 flexplate..and use an unweighted converter.....in the future you can just change converters without worrying about the weight on it.

Make sure the 727 is for a small block. Compare it to the 904. The starter should sit at 5 o'clock looking back. It's at 3 o'clock on a big block. The drive shaft is also shorter with a 727 than with a 904.

Just stay with the 904 and make it a 998!
How much horses does the 360 have? If its not overpowered and around the 400 Horses range, stay with the 904!

the 727 isn't a bad transmission, it just takes more power to turn. I'd personally just upgrade the 904.

and 70aarcuda has it right.

The 360 will have close to 400 HP so it's no overly powerful. So it would be better to just upgrade it? Would the overall cost to built it to handle the power be similar to the 727? Because I doubt the 904 in it's current form would be able to handle the power reliably...or am I wrong about this?

And I have to shorten the driveshaft anyways, my car has a 7.25 rear end, I don't think it would be too happy behind even 250 hp!

...or am I wrong about this?

I think so.
There are a ton of 904's out there that are stock and running that power range.

A couple of upgrades, and you should have a nice strong trans.

Direct clutchpack and sprag would be my first area's for upgrades.

I think so.
There are a ton of 904's out there that are stock and running that power range.

A couple of upgrades, and you should have a nice strong trans.

Direct clutchpack and sprag would be my first area's for upgrades.

Hmm I thought it was made of glass like the 7.25s rear ends are. But yea I was planning on doing a few upgrades to either trans I chose. My 904 shifts nicely, there isn't a problem with it at all besides it's a bit Leaky.

The low first gear even let it takeoff pretty good even with the stock 150hp 318.

Hmm I thought it was made of glass like the 7.25s rear ends are. But yea I was planning on doing a few upgrades to either trans I chose. My 904 shifts nicely, there isn't a problem with it at all besides it's a bit Leaky.

The low first gear even let it takeoff pretty good even with the stock 150hp 318.

Nope. They are definitely far from made of glass. Just fix your leaks and do some upgrades. Throw a stage two shift kit in there while you are at it and you will probably be wondering why you even thought about the 727

There are some very simple tricks to get a 904 up to snuff. 400 hp is nothing for a decently built 904.

Most of the tricks are mentioned in multiple 904 threads in here. Extra clutch in front drum, etc.

I don't bother with a 904 sprag upgrade. It's not an issue with front drum explosions like a 727.

I think I will stick with my 904 and just do some upgrades on it then. I will do some searching for other threads about some good upgrades are. And are shift kits worth it? or would I be better off with manual valve body?

I think I will stick with my 904 and just do some upgrades on it then. I will do some searching for other threads about some good upgrades are. And are shift kits worth it? or would I be better off with manual valve body?
I don't think you really need the manual valve body unless this is gonna be some kind of hardcore all-out strip car. I think you will be very happy with just a stage 2 shift kit. It shifts pretty hard and alot faster than a person can shift.

I don't think you really need the manual valve body unless this is gonna be some kind of hardcore all-out strip car. I think you will be very happy with just a stage 2 shift kit. It shifts pretty hard and a lot faster than a person can shift.

Yea it's probably 80% street car, I may bring it to the track to see what it can run. I don't think I really need a manual valve body. My uncle has on in his coronet and I just kinda like it. How hard would the shift kit shift? And I assume that it is better on the transmission due to very little slippage during shifts.

Yea it's probably 80% street car, I may bring it to the track to see what it can run. I don't think I really need a manual valve body. My uncle has on in his coronet and I just kinda like it. How hard would the shift kit shift? And I assume that it is better on the transmission due to very little slippage during shifts.
Hard, but not like super hard. Hard enough to make people who have never felt a shift kit and don't know better think things are broken.:toothy10:

I have a stage 2 in my truck and I really enjoy it alot, eventually you get used to it, but there's nothing quite like rolling at 40 and hitting the gas hard to feel it slam back into second.:glasses7:

Hard, but not like super hard. Hard enough to make people who have never felt a shift kit and don't know better think things are broken.:toothy10:

I have a stage 2 in my truck and I really enjoy it alot, eventually you get used to it, but there's nothing quite like rolling at 40 and hitting the gas hard to feel it slam back into second.:glasses7:

Excellent, my daily driver is for smooth shifts, the dart is for fun! the firmer the better.

Yea It would be nice to have a bit more firmness in the shifts, its just a bit too smooth, especially for what the car is meant for, I didn't put all that money in a brand new motor to drive like an old lady.

-
Back