73 duster drivers door won't close

-

Howard1784

Reaction score
Could someone school me and how to get the driver side door to close all the way? The body lines are correct and the door seems to be lined up properly along with the catch. The mechanism has been fully lubed etc.
Also, the door hinges appear to be tight and the door does not sag. So what do I do to get the door to close all the way? Thanks in advance..

A picture would help.

Is it door alignment?
Or is it you keep closing the door and it won't stay closed?
Make sure the button is popped out....

Could be a couple different things. Striker adjustment to far in or out. Looking for 2 clicks, 1st is safety second is door fully latched. Is it springy when you go to close it? It might be too close to to the body. The hinges on the door side, 2 bolts upper and 2 lower, have adjustment room to move it in or out. Loosen all 4 and the door drop to the bottom of it's adjustment. Sometimes it only takes as small amount. Adjust one hinge at a time, loosen, bump a skosh, tighten, and go to the bottom hinge. If you can't get it within adjustments need to look carefully at the a-pillar. Faulty latch, gaskets binding, top of glass laying in too far. Like Rumble said pics are good, and a little more info.

Last edited:
Could someone school me and how to get the driver side door to close all the way? The body lines are correct and the door seems to be lined up properly along with the catch. The mechanism has been fully lubed etc.
Also, the door hinges appear to be tight and the door does not sag. So what do I do to get the door to close all the way? Thanks in advance..
A detailed video of you trying to close it would be helpful.

Ok, so I do get the "1" click. After that, I can push the door further in, but no second click as stated above. I have tried moving the striker in/out with no success. The button is normal. The window is down. The door is not springy when closed.
I will do what George H recommends regarding the hinges. I do need to note the doors are not original, were bare and after paint, they were installed to line up. The hardware was installed later. It looked as if all I needed to install was the striker and I would be in business. The passenger door was fine but I guess the driver's door as suspected might be off slightly........That said, I will attempt video or pics in the near future.
I seem remember this same problem many years ago as a youth with the driver's door not closing, but getting the "1" click" on a 73 Scamp and thought the latch was jacked. I doubt my parents would remember.

I did the "semi" slam method early on. I won't risk that again, but all my interior panels were off....

If the latch post is set a tad too deep/inward, the door seals, etc.. would prevent reaching the 2nd click.

is the seat belt buckle hanging out?
that always prevents mine from closing

Ok, so I do get the "1" click. After that, I can push the door further in, but no second click as stated above. I have tried moving the striker in/out with no success. The button is normal. The window is down. The door is not springy when closed.
I will do what George H recommends regarding the hinges. I do need to note the doors are not original, were bare and after paint, they were installed to line up. The hardware was installed later. It looked as if all I needed to install was the striker and I would be in business. The passenger door was fine but I guess the driver's door as suspected might be off slightly........That said, I will attempt video or pics in the near future.
I seem remember this same problem many years ago as a youth with the driver's door not closing, but getting the "1" click" on a 73 Scamp and thought the latch was jacked. I doubt my parents would remember.

I did the "semi" slam method early on. I won't risk that again, but all my interior panels were off....
This is mine , don't know if this will help you .

May 2017 004.jpg

May 2017 003.jpg

Pics forthcoming. I may have over /under shot the post, but I swear I spent hours fooling with the fitment.

LOL, no seatbelt holding it up! I did one day smash my finger in a door. A mistake that will never be made twice

can you manually operate the latch, say with a screwdriver to get the second click? Push is closed, pop it open with outside button

UPDATE.... within a few minutes of small adjustments of the striker, all is well.....i must have been previously frustrated and I have bad luck which made me think the worse.......dont know how I missed it before with all the adjustments I previously made I would have sworn something else was wrong... cheers

UPDATE.... within a few minutes of small adjustments of the striker, all is well.....i must have been previously frustrated and I have bad luck which made me think the worse.......dont know how I missed it before with all the adjustments I previously made I would have sworn something else was wrong... cheers
:thumbsup:

I worked with a guy. Don't know how he did it, but on a 4 door caprice he got all 8 fingertips caught between the front and rear door down by the bodyside moldings. There were only 3 bodyguys at that shop and the other guy and myself were outside getting in my truck to go to lunch when we heard the screaming. I ran in and the door was fully latched on his hands. 2 minutes later and we would have been down the road and the office personnel would never have heard him in the other building.

-
Back