73 duster lower control arm adjustment

-

70-duster

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster that was a roller, now I have put the engine, trans, and all the body parts on it and the front ends sits too low. I need to raise it up 2-3 inches. My question is how I can do this? I thought that I could adjust the lower control arm adjusting bolt as it sits, but I cannot turn the bolt, even with a 6 foot bar on my torque wrench. Is there something I am missing or do I have to unbolt the upper control arm and adjust it that way or should I be able to turn this bolt with everything hooked up? Any help would be great.

You are gonna break something. The bolt is frozen, stripped, etc. But you should not adjust them with weight on 'em. However, you SHOULD be able to turn 'em

Even myself, in my 65 year old arthritic -ness, can turn these bolts with a 1/2 ratchet

turning the bolt in should raise the car, correct? when there was no weight on the front of the car, I was able to turn them and now I cannot. Just so you know, the car is on a post lift too, so all the weight is off the ground.

Like I said, even in my old age, I can turn em with a 1/2 ratchet. Either the bolts are frozen/ stripped or you have them "all the way in" which they should not be. Can you see threads between the bolt had and the other piece?

Yes, I can see threads. I don't think the threads are not stripped, as I moved them before there was an engine in the car. Should I try to move them by taking the upper control arms off or should I just use a torch to heat the bolts up and try to turn them?

Try PB Blaster on the bolt before heat. When you get the bolts to move remove them and the blocks and clean them up. Grease them when you put it back together.

Use any good penetrating oil put on them repeatedly for a few days to soak in, then heat the threaded block, and use a breaker bar back and forth till they come loose. Keep oiling them with penetrating oil, and you may be able to save them.

I think I would completely remove them and check all those threads.
The same handful of threads have been stressed for a long time and may be distorted.

If they were tightened with the suspension loaded, the bolts or threaded block could be stripped. Been there done that, had to cut mine out as they seemed "welded" together after cross threading.

-
Back