74 Dart w/ 340 6 pack

-

Evildart

Dart Member
Reaction score
I bought this dart about a year ago with the idea of building it up. It has a 318/904 that is still running(I use it right now as my DD as my other car is big $$ for maintenance). I just picked up a 1970 340 block std. bore with T/A heads and i'm now getting it all together and hope to have it and the 727, 8 3/4 3.55 sure grip in by the end of September. Heres some picks....

Photo066.JPG

Photo067.JPG

Photo068.JPG

Photo069.JPG

Looking forward to this build. What are the specs on the cam and engine?

The cam is a Comp cam 268/280 with a valve lift of .477 intake and .480 exhaust. Springs are the Engle 993 with an installed height of 1.800 As for the engine I found, it is a std. bore 4.04 that needs to be bored .020 with a steel forged crank and of course the T/A heads and rockers. I am going to be using all new internals except for the crank. Block, crank and heads have been thermal cleaned and magged and check out great.

Well got the motor back. Looking to find a six pack induction for the top. Let me know what you think.

Photo062.JPG

Photo083.JPG

Photo085.JPG

Photo089.JPG

And also has anyone out there seen this. It's a timeing cover with no fuel pump
slot??? If you have let me know what it is off...

Photo164.JPG

Last edited:
Indy is selling new 6 pack setups and they are seeling new dual quad setups. Prices arent to bad compared to what people want for the used ones.

Yes I have looked at this but a little to much $$. I can do the whole set up with all new pieces for around $1945.00 as compared to almost $2700.00

Well it's been a while but with Thanksgiving over and Christmas right a around the corner
I haven't done as much as I would of liked but it is getting there. Here's some more pics.

Photo108.JPG

Photo109.JPG

Photo110.JPG

Photo112.JPG

Last edited:
Just in case you never got an answer, the timing chain cover you have on your motor is for a 92 and up Magnum motor, when they went to EFI, thus no need for a fuel pump slot.

They require a different water pump, too. Not sure, but you may not be able to mount standard accessories with that cover.

Are you going to run a mechanical fuel pump or electric?

Just to add to DionR's post the timing chain cover is from a magnum engine. The magnum engines used a serpentine belt setup, so the water pump spins in the opposite direction compared to the LA engine's water pump. To use that timing chain cover you need a magnum water pump and the entire serpentine belt setup.

Evildart, where exactly are you located in norcal? what are your plans with the 318 when you take it out?

Just in case you never got an answer, the timing chain cover you have on your motor is for a 92 and up Magnum motor, when they went to EFI, thus no need for a fuel pump slot.

They require a different water pump, too. Not sure, but you may not be able to mount standard accessories with that cover.

Yeah I talked to a friend of mine who has a GTX and he said the same thing about it. I am going to use a mechanical fuel pump so I will need to get a new timing chain cover.

Evildart, where exactly are you located in norcal? what are your plans with the 318 when you take it out?
Hey James how it's going? It's Ken I bought your 8 3/4 rear end earlier this year. I am in the Walnut Creek area and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the 318 as of yet. In the coming weeks I am going to pull it and the 904 and then send it to the body shop to get media blasted and then painted. Will keep you updated as I progress.

Now all I need is the carbs and then I'll take it over to the dyno shop to see what she will run. I'm thinking around 450 hp/500 tq.

Well it has been a while since I did anything to the Dart.
I went over to the body shop and found out that it will be
$10,000 for body and paint :shock:
Wish I had a space to do the work on the car but I don't
so I'll pay the money....

Good news I received my carbs and the air cleaner today.
Here are some pics

Photo131.JPG

Photo132.JPG

Photo134.JPG

Photo135.JPG

I'm going to get the motor buttoned up this weekend
and then take it over to the dyno to get it broken in
and see what she will run.

Last edited:
-
Back