8.75 brakes

-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I got axles from Dr. Diff to fit my 8.75 rear end, 1969 Dart. Changing to green bearings, any how, the register on the new axles is too big. The drums I have, which were on the old axles, have the small center hole. Drums are 10 inch by 1 3/4 inch. Any chance to get the drums I need? Large center hole, bolt pattern is LBP.

You need the drums and backing plates from a B or E or anything with an 8 3/4 or car dana 60 other than an A body. Even the truck 8 3/4 brakes and plates should work.

So no way to keep the setup I have, just need drums, all new. Have to swap it all?

So no way to keep the setup I have, just need drums, all new. Have to swap it all?

No
Just changing the drums will not do. The backing plates are deeper for the 28 inch axles. 10 by 2 1/2 versus the 10 by 1 3/4 so just replacing the drums will not work.

Trade your one and three quarters for some 2 and 1/2s in the trade forum somebody will be willing to do that. I would think.

No
Just changing the drums will not do. The backing plates are deeper for the 28 inch axles. 10 by 2 1/2 versus the 10 by 1 3/4 so just replacing the drums will not work.
Thought so..... Heck, I might just keep the old axles and put the green bearing on them. Way less expensive. They have the small register and the BBP.

Thought so..... Heck, I might just keep the old axles and put the green bearing on them. Way less expensive. They have the small register and the BBP.

if there's nothing wrong with the original tapered bearings just run them.

Take the drums you have to a quality machine shop and have then machine out the race

Take the drums you have to a quality machine shop and have then machine out the race

Even if you opened up the center of the original drums to fit the new axles
I don't think that will work. Because the old axles are 27 and 3/4 inches long and the new axles are 28 in Long so your drums would hang out on your shoes because of the quarter inch difference.

Even if you opened up the center of the original drums to fit the new axles
I don't think that will work. Because the old axles are 27 and 3/4 inches long and the new axles are 28 in Long so your drums would hang out on your shoes because of the quarter inch difference.
No the axles are correct for A body. Just the drums are wrong now. They, the axles are in the housing, fit perfect.

No the axles are correct for A body. Just the drums are wrong now. They, the axles are in the housing, fit perfect.

I think the new axles are 1/4 inch longer if you bought the big bolt pattern axles from dr. Diff. The difference being of course the big bolt pattern and at the same time being a quarter inch longer you need the two and a half inch brakes. The axles slide right in Bolt right up but on the outside their quarter inch longer. Looks like you got the right brake shoes and drums to put on it now for the new axle. Good job. It's Only Money. And time and money and time and money.

They are going on this...

20170706_163919.jpg

What do you mean by "missing the button"

He's talking about the little spacer that goes in the middle of the suregrip unit that holds the axles apart or for the axles to bump up against when you're using the tapered bearings.
You don't need that button if you're using the green bearings because there a roller bearing and you don't adjust them

I could be wrong, but I looked into converting to the big bolt pattern axles on the back of my Barracuda. I was going to get a new set of drums and have them redrilled to accept the big bolt pattern. Problem was nobody makes the 10x2" drums anymore to have redrilled. His suggestion was to convert to the 10x2 1/2 drum brakes.

If I remember correctly, he sells the 10x2 1/2 drum kit for $350. It would be $100 cheaper than the ebay ad linked above.

Got a pair of these for 110 available. (11 X 2-1/2) New drums included. Shipping a killer.............
Brake11A.jpg
Brake11C.jpg

-
Back