8.8 swap

-
i know some guys run the 8.8 without shortening it. what sort of measurements are you using for wheels? as far as i can tell the explorer 8.8 is between 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 wider. how do the wheels fit? any issues?

IMG_4829.PNG
IMG_4830.JPG
You have to shorten 1 side. Or it'll be sticking out the side of the car

only if you center the diff in the car. i know there are some guys on here who have installed them without shortening the axle and they said they had no issues with the driveshaft. all it does is set the center section a bit off center in the car

its about 2 and a half inches wider. but at the same time, most of the guys here move the springs inboard because the tires are too close to them.

whereas i have a little over 2 inches from my tire to my fender lip.

so why shorten the axle only to have to relocate the springs if i can leave it the stock length and use the extra room outside of the tire instead. then i can leave the springs where they are.

i was reading the thread and i know several guys have done it. i was just wondering the wheel sizes they all used

Man I tried making that work my measurements seemed way off to my trans. I'm glad that works dames a lot of time would be nice to see pics of that install. Thanks for correcting me I'll look into it so I don't give out wrong advice

different models and years definitely do have slightly different measurements as far as how much room there is between the fenders.

so a tire and wheel combo that works for a 72 duster may not necessarily work for a 67 dart, but i figure its close enough for a starting point to work from

different models and years definitely do have slightly different measurements as far as how much room there is between the fenders.

so a tire and wheel combo that works for a 72 duster may not necessarily work for a 67 dart, but i figure its close enough for a starting point to work from
Yes,I'd like to save on cutting the axle tube. So I'd like to know the rim back spacing as well. Does a 4.5 back spaced rim work with 275/60 15 tires? 67 cuda,replacing the 7.25 before I kill it....

its about 2 and a half inches wider. but at the same time, most of the guys here move the springs inboard because the tires are too close to them.

so why shorten the axle only to have to relocate the springs if i can leave it the stock length and use the extra room outside of the tire instead. then i can leave the springs where they are.

i was reading the thread and i know several guys have done it. i was just wondering the wheel sizes they all used
I've heard of that. Wonder on wheel backspacing?

Most guys don't move the springs in because the tires are too close to the spring. They move them in to get wider tires on the car. When you are putting an 8.8 in any Mopar, you need to weld the spring mounts on regardless, might as well put in the work to do it all correct and get the look that you are after.
They shorten the axle to get the best geometry out of the setup as, ideally, you want the mounting point to be in the middle of the wheel well. Also, you can not get a wider wheel in a Dart wheel well if you only have minimal space. You need to shorten the axle to give the space needed to clear the quarter panel when mounting just about anything wider than stock wheels on a Dart.

Dart and Duster are not even comparable in any way when it comes to the fitment and measurements of a rear wheel. You can not use the measurements from a Duster to mount wheels on a Dart, and vice versa.

Most guys don't move the springs in because the tires are too close to the spring. They move them in to get wider tires on the car. When you are putting an 8.8 in any Mopar, you need to weld the spring mounts on regardless, might as well put in the work to do it all correct and get the look that you are after.
They shorten the axle to get the best geometry out of the setup as, ideally, you want the mounting point to be in the middle of the wheel well. Also, you can not get a wider wheel in a Dart wheel well if you only have minimal space. You need to shorten the axle to give the space needed to clear the quarter panel when mounting just about anything wider than stock wheels on a Dart.

Dart and Duster are not even comparable in any way when it comes to the fitment and measurements of a rear wheel. You can not use the measurements from a Duster to mount wheels on a Dart, and vice versa.

Great read! My question is how are the spring perch measurements compared to the 8 3/4? I have an 8.8 in mine now, it was in the car when I bought it, I think they have them either at the wrong angle or width. I have the correct shock mounts, but when driving and I hit a bump, I feel the rear end sway side to side. No tire rubbing issues or tread wear patterns, so Im thinking it could be the that the perches are incorrect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

That is tough. I would think you have a bad bushing or bearings somewhere for the rear to do that

That is tough. I would think you have a bad bushing or bearings somewhere for the rear to do that
The bushings are worn in the springs them selves...so that could be the issue!

When I got it it had the explorer shock mounts, so I got a set from speedway.

I'm picking up another 8.8 that I plan to narrow correctly and make I have my spring perches in the correct location as I don't have an original a body rear to copy. I know they are supposed to be 43" apart on an Abody but I would like to get the measurements from someone who did the correct 8.8 swap.

So basically....how far are the perchs from where the axle tubes meets the housing?

IMG_1529.JPG

I used the Doctordiff offset kit for more tire clearance for mine. But what I did was bought new hotchkis leafs, mocked everything into place, tack welded, bolted it all down, remeasured a few times, and then buzzed them in.
Every car is a little different, so I recommend that way. The perches centered on the rear end, may not center the rear in your car.

I used the Doctordiff offset kit for more tire clearance for mine. But what I did was bought new hotchkis leafs, mocked everything into place, tack welded, bolted it all down, remeasured a few times, and then buzzed them in.
Every car is a little different, so I recommend that way. The perches centered on the rear end, may not center the rear in your car.

Gotcha!

Thanks for the help and replies!

Todd

Hey guys

I would love to buy one of these anyone making these for sale

Hey guys

I would love to buy one of these anyone making these for sale

Moser Engineering will custom build one ready to install! However by the time you're done you could buy a 8 3/4, 60" or 9".

They're base 8.8 is only $200 cheaper than their 8 3/4 both without disk brakes and a cost of $3,500+!!! ‍♂️

Thus the reason must of us guys opt for the DIY approach.

I have a 67 cuda with the 7.25. I'd like to install an explorer 8.8 without cutting it or moving the springs if possible..?? Don't want to cut or roll the fender lip either.Is it possible or am l wanting too much? What size tire and rim backspacing? Thanks in advance.

I have a 67 cuda with the 7.25. I'd like to install an explorer 8.8 without cutting it or moving the springs if possible..?? Don't want to cut or roll the fender lip either.Is it possible or am l wanting too much? What size tire and rim backspacing? Thanks in advance.
I believe that the Exploder 8.8s are too wide for A bodies and have offset center sections. So cutting would be necessary. Plus the spring/shock mounts won't work so more cutting.

The full length 8.8s will fit in a Duster but Idk about barracudas. Either way, you’ll need to move the spring perches

Spring perches I understand. I just wondered about the other. If I have to narrow, I'll just do a Dana 60 though.

Mine (69 Cuda) has a standard width 8.8 3.55 from a 98 explorer which was in the car when I bought it. The spring perches you do have to move because an explorer mounts different.

Right now it's got 18x8 2012 Mustang GT rims on it with no issues up front or back. There is about a 3/8 gap right now on each side from the springs and the lip hasn't been touched.

I just ordered a Doc Diff spring relocation and I'm picking up another 8.8 for $150 that has 3.73 lsd to use the LSD out of and passenger axle when I narrow it. I'm not gonna mini tub either because from what I'm reading on here I can get a decent width tire with no issues at all!!!

I also have a stage 3 Overdrive 4L60E from Silver Sport Trans that I'm putting in as well!

So with a 3.55 lsd and an OD I should have the best of both worlds....Hopefully!!!!!

-
Back