904 Braided Hose Cooling Line Routing

-

DustyRoads

Reaction score
Car is a 72 Duster with a 360 motor, a 904 trans, manual steering, mini-starter, B&M Quickslver shift cable coming in from the front, and Lokar kickdown linkage coming in from the rear of the trans, and Hooker Competition headers. After some struggles with trying to route stock hard lines around the newly-installed headers, I decided to go with a braided stainless AN kit from an eBay supplier. The kit comes with hose, adapters for the trans and radiator, and 4 AN fittings. Two of the fittings are straight and two are 90-degree. No instructions are provided. For those who have installed this type of kit, which fittings were used where? Were the 90-degree fittings at the trans or at the radiator? Also, were the cooling lines run alongside the oil pan or over to the left fenderwall? Do these types of lines have to be insulated from contact with the headers, or does the stainless braid protect them? Photos are very helpful. Thanks!

On the transmission I use a 90 degree fitting at the rear port...and 120 degree fitting on the front port to get out of the way of the aftermarket shift cable linkage...I route the line next to the oil pan....I use a separate transmission cooler at the front of the car.

I used 45 degree at both trans outlets and 90 degree at the rad. It worked well for me. All other parts very similar.

Cley

-6 45's off the housing, braided stainless over the frame and -6's forward to clear the header tubes and back over and forward

20151207_175752.jpg

20151211_192231.jpg

To answer the question about the S/S braid protecting the lines from heat: No, you still have to keep the heat away from these lines. They are just rubber hoses inside and will melt/burn just like any other rubber hose.

-
Back