904 Converter? Stock stall with 350lbft torque?

-

Kicker92

Reaction score
I have a A904 converter that is black with the numbers 762 painted in orange on the front.
Looks to be about 11" diameter.

I would believe that this is a factory unit since I don't think the tranny had been out of the car before I bought it.

Question:
When feeding that converter with around 350lbft of torque behind a built 360, what stall speed could be expected?

I think the old 318 used to stall around 1,800 rpm, but this with be a lot more torque...

Thanks,

Ryan

318's had 340 ft lbs (gross) of torque. Anyways, it will be more..... and I hope you have a balanced flexplate :)

Thanks, I will weld on the balance weights if I use it. Trying to figure out if it'll be 2200+, or still lower?

To clarify, the 350lbft should be around 2000 rpm, it'll peak at about 425lbft into the powerband.
I understand that the stall rpm will increase with more torque / resistance applied, but was hoping someone might know what the upper range of these stock converters are?

Did they ever do a 904 with this converter behind a HP 440?

Thanks, I will weld on the balance weights if I use it. Trying to figure out if it'll be 2200+, or still lower?

To clarify, the 350lbft should be around 2000 rpm, it'll peak at about 425lbft into the powerband.
I understand that the stall rpm will increase with more torque / resistance applied, but was hoping someone might know what the upper range of these stock converters are?

Did they ever do a 904 with this converter behind a HP 440?
no 440 came with a 904 behind it.
I've had 318 2bbls stall up to 2100 with stock 904 converter. You should have no problem pushing 2200 "brake stall" with a 360. I think you could balance a flex plate much cheaper than a converter, but thats up to you.
  • And to clarify, 318 2bbl's had 340 ft lbs of torque at 2400 rpm's, not that far off from what you are talking.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize how low rpm the torque curve is on the 318's!

I dug through a bunch of old paperwork, and it turns out that the original owner had the tranny rebuilt in the 80's, and they installed a refurb TC. That explains why it's black and has the 762 numbers.

Found this on another site for the "762":

762 - A904 TORQUE CONVERTER
762.jpg

A904 TF6
11" DIAMETER (10" BOLT CIRCLE)
1.810" PILOT, 27 SPLINES
4 OFFSET PADS, NON LOCK-UP
1700-2100 STALL, 122T GEAR
NO WEIGHTS

CODES:
LOW STALL STICKER
1968-76

I would "guess" probably around 2200-2500 "or so".

Nice looking Demon you've got. On the converter, I would, like RRR guess somewhere in that 2200+ range.
On that note, why trust something built 30+ years ago. It was probably built by the converter division of Man Mac transmissions who are no longer around.
You've invested a lot of time and money into the engine, so don't cheap out on the converter.
Call Paul at T.C.S., 604-533-8675, give him all the specs you've got, tell him what your plans for the car are and he'll get you the right converter.

Hi transman, it's funny you should say that! I literally just got off the phone with Paul @ TCS.

I have their 904-10-SPS converter from the old car as a second option to the stock one, but looking for a lower stall to use with autocross & track days.

Need to get that car together with the TCS converter, and see how it works out first.
Will probably just get rid of this stock one.

Hi transman, it's funny you should say that! I literally just got off the phone with Paul @ TCS.

I have their 904-10-SPS converter from the old car as a second option to the stock one, but looking for a lower stall to use with autocross & track days.

Need to get that car together with the TCS converter, and see how it works out first.
Will probably just get rid of this stock one.
Just get a stock converter from T.C.S. for your 360.

From 1972 Plymouth FSM:

72 stall.png

Does †his mean a 318 can have a higher/equal stall speed than/as a larger motor, if the larger motor had a torque peak at a higher rpm than the 318 (assuming the same/equal torque convertor)? For example, according to the above chart, the 318 and 340 with 10 3/4" convertor have about the same stall speeds listed.

Nice looking Demon you've got. On the converter, I would, like RRR guess somewhere in that 2200+ range.
On that note, why trust something built 30+ years ago. It was probably built by the converter division of Man Mac transmissions who are no longer around.
You've invested a lot of time and money into the engine, so don't cheap out on the converter.
Call Paul at T.C.S., 604-533-8675, give him all the specs you've got, tell him what your plans for the car are and he'll get you the right converter.

Great advice.

Quick story on that. I have a regular customer whose a Chevy guy. He's a good dude, but this guy is the corner cuttinest **** you'll ever meet. He was askin me about converters. I told him if it was me, I would call a major converter maker and get a custom one made, because the converter was the number 1 thing in an auto car to get right.

He says "I ain't buildin a race car, I found one at Summit for 150 dollars". I said, Ok, that's good then!

LOL

Interesting quote from allpar.com:
"In lay terms, a vehicle is geared to allow the cruising speed (65-70mph) to be about 200 RPM above the torque peak of the engine (at that time around 2,000-2,500rpm). This allows the engine to reach rated torque on grades of 6%, without losing speed."

-
Back