A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
Alex...if possible, you might try positioning the motor to the pass side, bolting up the drivers side header....then re-positioning the motor on the mounts back towards the drivers side on the mounts.
Denny, I appreciate the help and input, but....The K member has Schmacher slant 6 to 360 conversion mounts. They are spool type mounts sooooo.....there is no moving the engine up or to the side. It has to line up with the 9/16 hole on either side and it only goes in when it lines up with the K member mount holes. With the header bolted on as it goes down the header runs into the PS gear, making it impossible to get the motor mount bolts in. Remove the PS gear and everything bolts up...but then you can't get the PS gear back in. Dimple needed.

Last edited:
Maybe I was un-clear or I did not understand the problem......I thought you were just having trouble getting the bolts in and once in , would be A-OK.

^ no problem Denny, all help is appreciated!

So lil' Mapp gas heat and tapping on a 1/2" socket holding on to an extension I made a lil' dimple. Not the prettiest but I think it will work. Also relieved or removed some material where it was hitting on the new PS gear. Hoping this does the trick!

33600542666_12415624cb_b.jpg
IMG_4006 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

33511918691_4080b99a9a_b.jpg
IMG_4007 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I'm still working on the basement...almost done. Set 130 sq.ft. of floor tile yesterday. I had dimpled the header before getting going on the tile. After the tile, needed a beer break....headed over to Higgs! Brought the header to show him the fine pipe smashing I had done. Good ole' Higgs said it looked good but needed a shot or two of some Silver VHT high temp paint. Good ole' Higgs!!! This lil' area will be behind the PS gear and hardly noticeable, just a shame you have to smash on $600+ headers to get them to fit.

32818856984_f0aa1bcd77_b.jpg
IMG_4009 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last room in the basement, still have to tile the hatch which goes under the suspended basement floor, install baseboard.
33576659421_23e4368732_b.jpg
IMG_4010 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Because we are in the middle of building a new house and we need to clean the current house as best as possible for the selling process...The Duster will be moved to my shop for the completion. There is plenty of room at the shop, and I can paint it down there. Soon I am going to paint the underside of the hood and the trunk lid. Have all the paint, the clear just arrived. This time I am going to give All Kandy's "The Wet Wet Plus" clear a shot. I have heard great things about it and kinda like the idea of trying something new.
33576653361_af61ef1eca_b.jpg
IMG_4014 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Here is a video of The Wet Wet Plus clear going on, skip to 18:00 if you just want to see the clear in the sun:

Last edited:
Progress is great, a little overwhelming at some times.

You had a lift and you kept working on the car in your garage??? Course I have a shop 15 minutes from here but my Duster is sitting in the driveway as I redo the dash. Lol

Had the drivers side header and PS gear on and off the car 4-5 times today. Not happy at all with how much I had to smash/dent the number 1 tube to go around the Borgeson PS gear. Got on the phone with my favorite TIG welder guy. He is coming to the shop on Thursday to see what needs to be done. If it is cut correctly and routed correctly it looks as though they can be welded up and will fit, without smashing the crap out of the #1 tube.

Last edited:
Here is the drivers side header installed as it should be on the head and the PS gear installed also. Yes I dented the #1 tube to fit. If the #1 tube would have followed the same path as the #3 tube (which there IS room for) it would have fit without denting the $600 headers. I am going to see what Mr. TIG will need in $ to fix this problem.

33475550280_7073eebea3_b.jpg
IMG_4042 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I am doing something everyday, moving towards the first start up. So no, it's not running yet, but I am not that far off.

I'm right there with you. Im working on a lot of little things that are left. Hope to start it in a month or so.

-
Back