A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
OK ok, I hear ya. Just makes it more involved. So, I would have to shoot it in green/clear....let it dry, hang doors....then tape off the fender/door tops and around the pop out windows....then shoot the satin black. That is what I wanted to begin with, but seems like a lot more work.

Last edited:
OK ok, I hear ya. Just makes it more involved. So, I would have to shoot it in green/clear....let it dry, hang doors....then tape off the fender/door tops and around the pop out windows....then shoot the satin black. That is what I wanted to begin with, but seems like a lot more work.
But think of the finished product :D just think of ALL the work you've done to your car, at this point don't you want it done how you wanted it done? :thumbsup:

When you do the fender/door tops and around the pop out window it definitely looks more sinister. Yes...to answer you...this has been a tremendous amount of "get up and get it done", not much that hasn't been done to this car. Alright..alright.....fender/door tops and around the pop outs: It is!!!

Last edited:
Alright!!! :thumbsup::usflag:

Besides... I thought we had all this figured out a year and a half ago when Brock, Higgs n I were at your place? :poke: Lol

Maybe when you are done with yours I could use a touch up...lol

IMAG0214.jpg

Thanks Alex, 1 more big car show then need to start on my Fall - Winter Projects...Its about that time to put her up for the year.

IMAG0656.jpg

Got the hood done with epoxy sealer....the second time. I learned a good lesson....My primer gun has a 1.8mm tip and when shooting the 2K primer, full throttle on the fluid control works great, keep the gun moving and don't run the paint and all is perfect. When shooting epoxy sealer/primer if you keep the fluid control setting the same as the 2K you may get out gassing (I did) which leaves little ugly pock marks everywhere. It is caused by too much fluid (paint) and the gases in the paint can't get out cleanly. Leaves a mess. I learned this the hard way. Had to sand it all down until it was gone or darn near all gone. The second go round I turned "in" the fluid control knob, two full turns and went at it in much lighter coats. All good this time, paint laying flat as can be!

37381666131_e960d41737_b.jpg
IMG_4611 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Dang, how long does it take to squirt some sealer on there, then slather some green on there.:poke:

^ Well certainly if you want an Earl Schibe or Macco paint job. Call me slow, its all good. Lots of reasons why its not done yet. We sold our house (the one I was finishing the basement) and last week the 10th was when we started the big move. Took 5 days of moving stuff...21 years of stuff....how in the heck did I accumulate so much stuff?? Also....someone in our shop building (another business) complained that I was "fuming them out", so....I can only paint after hours or on the weekend, which limits my time for spraying. Another reason, AAR fiberglass bumpers are not here yet. Talked with them this morning and they said they will ship by the end of the week. Like what was pointed out previously...I need to check rear bumper fitment, possible welding may be needed.

Our new house up on the hill:

37479430520_1a8a631e50_b.jpg
IMG_4617 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
^ Well certainly if you want an Earl Schibe or Macco paint job. Call me slow, its all good. Lots of reasons why its not done yet. We sold our house (the one I was finishing the basement) and last week the 10th was when we started the big move. Took 5 days of moving stuff...21 years of stuff....how in the heck did I accumulate so much stuff?? Also....someone in our shop building (another business) complained that I was "fuming them out", so....I can only paint after hours or on the weekend, which limits my time for spraying.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...:poke:

I know your's is going to be a show quality car and mine's just a cruiser.

I did all my own rust repair, panel repair-replacement and meal work including quarter skins and a graft of a big chunk of the cowl. I got all the plastic done to the best of my ability then sent her out.

Some Macco shops lay the base-clear down nice, especially when the shop owner's first car was a Duster! He let me stop by every day and check out the final plastic work, blocking and prep. $3,700.00 all in including stripe install...
21762151_10207998219473241_3902729627635933437_n.jpg

Last edited:
I am not knocking how anyone gets their car painted, not at all. Also not sure mine will be show quality, I will do the best I can do, so it will be Alex quality. I think your car looks great DD!

Just bustin your chops Alex. This thread was on the bottom of page 2. needed an update.:thumbsup:

^ You are totally allowed to Dave! I knew you were messing with me, and gosh darn it do I wish the green was done. This is such an exercise in sanding and perfecting and "you only get one chance to shoot the base coat", that I am just trying to get it as best as I can before the big Green paint day.

D/D that's an amazing Macco job. He must have liked your car! I tried to have just a hood done and they did a terrible job twice. Had to take it back to my original paint man.

With Jaws gentle poke for me to "get going", I stayed late at the shop last night and sprayed the whole car in its 4th and last coat of 2K. This is the 4th time blocking it out. Passenger 1/4 panel blocked in 600 grit this morning.

37758503061_2f4ce6b84c_b.jpg
image1 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
-
Back