A handful of fuel vent/canister type questions

-

NukeBass

Reaction score
I've noticed that my fuel filler line tends to hiss whenever I open up the cap to put gas in the car. I don't know if it is vacuum or pressure (assuming it is pressure, but haven't verified) and it got me to looking at my fuel system, or at least starting to in order to make sure everything is okay.

The car is a 73 duster and was originally a slant six that had the 3 port charcoal canister. I had the car restored and had a 340 placed in it, but I think everything for fuel stuff is mostly generic so that shouldn't really impact anything (except carburetor choice and subsequent plumbing). The shop put a new canister in the car, but it has the "purge" line cut off and sealed with the tank and carb bowl lines hooked up (to the tank and carb). I had recently thought about removing the canister since most carbs don't have a fuel bowl vent line (with a few exceptions like the Edelbrock Performer 1400 I have and a few Holleys I've seen), but then I read some posts that say the canister is a good idea, so, being impressionable like I am, I will now keep it. Plus, it was always in the car so I figure it is good to keep it.

Now, since the "purge" line is permanently plugged, further research, primarily posts written by SlanSixDan, say that I should buy this part (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...Canister-Purge-Valve/_/R-CRB228011_0429906387) to essentially replace the "purge" function of the canister.

Questions: 1) Am I reading it right that I need the purge line hooked up for this canister?
2) Why would someone build a canister and label the purge line only to plug it? Seems kind of silly.

The 73 shop manual shows a fuel overfill valve connected to the tank line that goes into the canister. I don't see one in my line (the line was replaced), which might explain why the gas pump doesn't shutoff when putting gas in it. Does anyone make these?

Lastly, if I ever change carbs to a carb without a fuel vent line, where would I hook up the canister vent?

I can take a picture of the canister if anyone wants to see it. I just forgot to earlier when I was looking at it.

Thanks!

-
Back