a904 front seal removal

-

megavites

Reaction score
Well I thought this was going to go smooth...but its been 30years since I've done one.
Tried walking screwdriver around lip with no luck before knocking the seal in on an angle and decided to stop.
Tell me the next step. I heard insert screw on good side and pry out with clawhammer or
just whack straight in btwn seal and case to bend lip all the way in.
upload_2017-6-26_21-34-35.png

Well I thought this was going to go smooth...but its been 30years since I've done one.
Tried walking screwdriver around lip with no luck before knocking the seal in on an angle and decided to stop.
Tell me the next step. I heard insert screw on good side and pry out with clawhammer or
just whack straight in btwn seal and case to bend lip all the way in.View attachment 1715061057
On the side that is not damaged, take a lady slipper and knock it in a little bit. Then work it out.

just whack straight in btwn seal and case to bend lip all the way in.View attachment 1715061057
I just did this a couple of months ago. Bought a cheap AutoZone seal puller and kept the flat part of handle against the input shaft, put the hook part under the inside lip and lever it right out.

I'll try Autozone or Harbor freight for a puller or ladys foot.
I'm assuming i'm going to clean up the one side with a little 1000 wet/dry and hit the new seal with alittle silicone.

I'll try Autozone or Harbor freight for a puller or ladys foot.
I'm assuming i'm going to clean up the one side with a little 1000 wet/dry and hit the new seal with alittle silicone.
I would make sure there are no burrs or raised nicks on the inside edge of the recess in the transmission the seal goes in and rub some trans fluid on the outside metal edge of the seal and definitely on all the rubber parts of the seal. Harbor freight probably has same puller for cheaper.

I'm screwed! Or am I ?
I tried pre-drilling to use a screw to pull seal and i went into pump face (8:00 position).
Now theres an existing opening at the 7:00. Do i worry about my new hole?
Do i fill it with JB weld? Silicone or don't worry about it. Yea...very stupid mistake.

1498606953420592949201.jpg

1498606953420592949201.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you missed the bushing so I'd throw a new seal in there with a smear of hylomar or silicone on the outer area and lube the lip seal with fluid.

Were you able to try and pry the seal out with 2 screwdrivers or bars 180* from each other? Using only 1 seems to always make the seal crooked and impossible to get out, for me.

Looks like you missed the bushing so I'd throw a new seal in there with a smear of hylomar or silicone on the outer area and lube the lip seal with fluid.

Were you able to try and pry the seal out with 2 screwdrivers or bars 180* from each other? Using only 1 seems to always make the seal crooked and impossible to get out, for me.
Yes, seal came out the way its supposed to after I slowed down and thought about it.
I cleaned up the surface with some 1200 wet/dry and the hole didn't go thru but I filled it with some quiksteel epoxy anyway.
RTV silicone will go on new seals outer portion to keep any tool marks from leaking.

-
Back