Add 273's, 340's & 360's to the "318 Race" ?

yes, i would enter AND post a pass with...

• Total voters
-
Current list....
  1. Desert Rat
  2. 89on35's
  3. dcmilt
  4. 318willrun
  5. 273
  6. DFXDuster340
  7. YellowRose
  8. 65Vsignet
  9. SSG_Karg
  10. mderoy340
  11. 75slant6
  12. RTK_line
give a holler "I'm in" if you'd like to join :)

Last edited:
Dang that’s a nice car!!! Got more pics?
Thanks.

0481B967-42ED-4591-A8B7-4D3ECD13C394.jpeg

11C59E7D-D319-4BD8-8131-F8F717574F22.jpeg

800B4E40-6155-46AC-9095-6C52149A2A98.jpeg

So I went through the penalty box and did "worst case scenario" for deductions, considering the car was nominal (3300 lbs).
360 magnum bored, big cam, aluminum heads, 4.30 gears, super street converter, manual valve body, blah blah blah.......... in other words taking the biggest hits for every category.
A car like this would have to run 10.80 if it weighed 3300 lbs and was at sea level.
  • Remember, this would be racing in street form (pump gas, tires and exhaust). And remember, street cars can be driven on hot days for 1/2 an hour at 55 mph without an issue, shut off while you run in a store, and restart without an issue.
Somebody might, but i'll be surprised if somebody blows the penalty box out of the water. Out of the four 318 racers last year, only one hit the dial index, nobody was faster. But it very well could happen :) If somebody goes by it by 1.5 - 2 seconds, we'll have to ask why and see what serious performance mod I missed on..... and make changes for 2019 :D

After all, we all could learn something from this......

P.S. - E.T. slip has to be from 2018. Can't post and enter a car that we "used to own" and here is a copy of the e.t. slip from 2006 LOL... :D

The PS just kicked me in the Jimmy. That was my ace in the hole. Foiled again.

The PS just kicked me in the Jimmy. That was my ace in the hole. Foiled again.
You've gotta be kidding!!!! Really?? Last year was called the 2017 race. This year will be 2018 race..... You weren't planning on making a run and posting your car/build/E.T. slip?? LOL.....

Somebody start a "history race" .......
:rofl:

SERIOUSLY...... 2 years in a row, don't be a troll, drag something...... ANYTHING.... your 4x4 truck.... get somethin' out there! Aren't you racing your Dart against J par???? Post it here as well, take the hits and if you come up short, oh well!!!!
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

You've gotta be kidding!!!! Really?? Last year was called the 2017 race. This year will be 2018 race..... You weren't planning on making a run and posting your car/build/E.T. slip?? LOL.....

Somebody start a "history race" .......
:rofl:

SERIOUSLY...... 2 years in a row, don't be a troll, drag something...... ANYTHING.... your 4x4 truck.... get somethin' out there! Aren't you racing your Dart against J par???? Post it here as well, take the hits and if you come up short, oh well!!!!
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I'm in with the duster.

I just had to throw jpar a bone and you took it from him!

I’d like to join with my 72 Duster but I can’t say I’ll get to the track for sure. I’ll have to go through the list and see what all I’d have to deduct.

So far my index says I should run a 14.2 but I haven’t figured any altitude and I don’t know what my car weighs but it should be a fair amount under 3300. I also currently have a 3.23 gear but will be swapping that for a 2.76 sometime.

Forgot to state that I have a carbed 5.9 magnum and an ax-15 5 speed.

Last edited:
I’d like to join with my 72 Duster but I can’t say I’ll get to the track for sure. I’ll have to go through the list and see what all I’d have to deduct.

So far my index says I should run a 14.2 but I haven’t figured any altitude and I don’t know what my car weighs but it should be a fair amount under 3300. I also currently have a 3.23 gear but will be swapping that for a 2.76 sometime.

Forgot to state that I have a carbed 5.9 magnum and an ax-15 5 speed.
Can't fine you for not making a pass.... LOL. :D If you want in, we will gladly put you down. I'm sure, like last year, not everybody will make a pass. Go through every line, either adding or subtracting. There is a deduction for a clutch car. Most tracks list their altitude on the web.

Can't fine you for not making a pass.... LOL. :D If you want in, we will gladly put you down. I'm sure, like last year, not everybody will make a pass. Go through every line, either adding or subtracting. There is a deduction for a clutch car. Most tracks list their altitude on the web.
Lol I guess that’s true. Once I get the car running again I’ll swing by the scrapyard and weigh the car. As of now my dial is a 13.8

If that's the same car I've seen run a few times at Orlando Speed World it's 340 badge running big block if I remember right.

small block, 904 trans, 8 3/4 rear...no power adders...the car is light, has a strong bottom end, and an exceptional valvetrain. He's been an A-body guy like me since high school. You'll see him at Orlando and PBIR fairly often.

small block, 904 trans, 8 3/4 rear...no power adders...the car is light, has a strong bottom end, and an exceptional valvetrain. He's been an A-body guy like me since high school. You'll see him at Orlando and PBIR fairly often.
Impressive car! Maybe I'll see you at Orlando someday.

So then giving it is a 340 (no stroker) and he is doing it in true street form including pump gas, street tires, and exhaust, then the penalty box isn't too far off if he is indeed light.... let's say 2700 lbs???? That would be an additional deduction of .5 from a 11.40 (max deductions for a iron head 340 car) making his dial index a 10.90. If he runs 9.90's then he is 1 second quicker than his penalty box dial index. That would be impressive, but I still think it gives everyone a chance. Now if he "preps" it for the track (water pump motor; pulls timing up and runs high octane, etc etc)..... then he isn't beating the box by a full second. Still..........
This makes me feel good about the deductions....... Keep'n everyone in the game and giving all a chance to compete. Nice example on a car that is at the extreme end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Can we get the rules and penalty box posted as a sticky? Thanks
Takes a mod to do that. I will create a new thread with participants/standings and penalty box. This thread was just to see interest and work out the details.
  • Rules will be simple. Street car means street car. If a person has to think for 1 second if their car qualifies as a street car, it doesn't. Street means it runs on pump gas (93 or less octane), has DOT tires (drag radials ok), can be driven at 55 mph for a 1/2 hour on a 85 degree day to the next town, shut off for 10 minutes and restart no problem... and it is raced in street form.
  • Penalty box, is mostly intact. I'm questioning the roller cams lift/duration on LA vs Mag right now, and I started a new thread for that. I'm thinking a stock mag cam would be counted the same as a stock LA roller cam meaning no penalty. I'll find out.
  • Honesty keeps it fun. Nothing to win, so keep your integrity :)
P.S. - JFLN, are you in??

Last edited:
Not to get off topic here, but since this thread is full of 318 guys is anyone running this cam Hughes Engines ? And how do you like it. My 318 is a little overcammed right now and I’m thinking about using this to recoup some cylinder pressure. Current cam is COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Camshafts 20-232-4. Car pulls hard from 3000+ but bottom end is too soggy for the street.

Not to get off topic here, but since this thread is full of 318 guys is anyone running this cam Hughes Engines ? And how do you like it. My 318 is a little overcammed right now and I’m thinking about using this to recoup some cylinder pressure. Current cam is COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Camshafts 20-232-4. Car pulls hard from 3000+ but bottom end is too soggy for the street.
I believe that hughes cam is the one Jeff MrJLR has in his barracuda. I've personally never bought a hughes cam, so i cannot give personal experience.
  • You are absolutely correct, the 318 guys have showed :) Question is..... where are the 340 guys???:poke:

I believe that hughes cam is the one Jeff MrJLR has in his barracuda. I've personally never bought a hughes cam, so i cannot give personal experience.
  • You are absolutely correct, the 318 guys have showed :) Question is..... where are the 340 guys???:poke:
Don’t you know the 340 guys are too good to race with us lowly “other” small block guys? :poke: :D

So my thought is not to have any deductions for a stock magnum cam. They do have just a tad more lift. There is no deduction for factory roller cams, as later LA 318's had them also.

So if you pulled a stock 5.2 magnum to drop into a Duster, the Magnums already take .4 hit for the heads and another .3 for the short block. That's .7 and i think if you added a 4bbl to a factory stock LA 318, and added a 4bbl to a factory stock 5.2 magnum, i'd expect the magnum to run about .7 faster with the better heads, better compression, and a couple of other minor advantages.

Just my thought.........:realcrazy:

I've been gathering parts for my Ramcharger with a 318 to take it to the track. So far I have a distributor, offy intake and 600 vacuum secondary holly and a moroso air cleaner. Saving up for some headers now. I was initially just getting rid of the computer because it didn't seem to run very good. I've had 318 run better. I'm waiting for better weather to install everything. My main toy is a 67 R/T though. This sound like fun whats the deadline to post a time slip?

I've been gathering parts for my Ramcharger with a 318 to take it to the track. So far I have a distributor, offy intake and 600 vacuum secondary holly and a moroso air cleaner. Saving up for some headers now. I was initially just getting rid of the computer because it didn't seem to run very good. I've had 318 run better. I'm waiting for better weather to install everything. My main toy is a 67 R/T though. This sound like fun whats the deadline to post a time slip?
Anytime in 2018. Changes can be made to the vehicle along the way as well, and if the change adds or subtracts from your dial index, then just post it. If you go to the first post in this thread, you'll see a link to last years race, and see how we posted our builds, that's how it will be done here too. I'll start a new thread. This is just a thread to do all the blah blah blah in :D

I myself will probably have multiple entries :)

Can we count ya in???? :) By the way, welcome to the site !

Last edited:

Show us a picture.

Anytime in 2018. Changes can be made along the way as well, and if the change adds or subtracts from your dial index, then just post it. If you go to the first post in this thread, you'll see a link to last years race, and see how we posted our builds, that's how it will be done here too. I'll start a new thread. This is just a thread to do all the blah blah blah in :D

I myself will probably have multiple entries :)

Can we count ya in???? :) By the way, welcome to the site !
I'll give it a try, and keep an eye out for the other thread. I probably should run it before I put on the parts to see the difference too. It will give me an idea how close your handicaps are too.

-
Back