Add 273's, 340's & 360's to the "318 Race" ?

yes, i would enter AND post a pass with...

• Total voters
-
I'll give it a try, and keep an eye out for the other thread. I probably should run it before I put on the parts to see the difference too. It will give me an idea how close your handicaps are too.
AWESOME! I added ya to the list in post 126. We had fun with it last year, the 318 race. More wanted in it, so we broaden it up a bit. Sounds like your about to have fun. I have a Ramcharger I'll most likely enter myself.

I revised the penalty box a little..... I think we're getting closer :)

Attachments

• Penalty box small block race.pdf
    379.2 KB · Views: 506
Here's my entry and some parts I picked up from some members here. Also a pic of my R/T, my usual toy at the track.

20180120_182143.jpg

20180120_182301.jpg

20180120_182417.jpg

20180114_171828.jpg

more on the R/T...???? Looks nice !!.....
Like the ramcharger too... :)
The R/T has stock crank and rods with Keith Black 30 over pistons. I just put my 906s back on because I had a retainer failure on my Eddy's but luckily I only bent a valve. Also has a wiand single plane intake with an 850 mighty demon carb. 3.55s in the 8 3/4 but looking into reworking a truck dana I found close by. Car runs mid 12s at 108 mph. I haven't run it at the track yet but will soon. The 906s have stock size valves but are heavily ported and the Eddy's had larger valves but used ootb. Looking forward to see the difference in performance with no other changes.

Post 152 .... Please view the penalty box. This is what I'm thinking it will look like for 2018. Again, i'll soon post a new thread, and submit a 1st entry for example.
Common questions from last year and this year are:
  • why do clutches subtract .3 ? Answer: in stock form or mildly built, usually a 4 speed car will cut a better time with the use of D.O.T. drag radials. However, as the auto is upgraded, it soon has more penalties than the clutch car.
  • no deduction for roller cams?? Answer: Not if it's factory. Too little of gain to worry about, trying to keep the box generic.
  • How many entries or passes? Answer: As many as you like :)
  • Any deadline for joining or posting a pass? Answer: all of 2018 counts
Finally, I'll add this below...... :D
  • Do you just not like strokers? Answer: Noth'n against strokers, just keeping the box short and sweet. Last year it was 318's only for the same reason. This year we added the other small blocks for two reasons: A lot of interest last year from the other small blocks, and hopefully we get more actual passes with more participants. Ironically, the 318's are still leading in the polls for entries :D . And a surprising interest from the 273 crowd, and a surprising low amount of interest from the 340 crowd.

Last edited:
Ok, what post number has all the factors in it? I need to go back and do my math. I have to give up another .3 for the stick.

Can I use my two step?

One question I had as well is with an AX-15 5 speed, if I’m running 2.76 gears my first three gears are nearly identical to the gears of a car with same sized tires, a 904 and 4.10 gears. So should I be honest and deduct .7 from my et to match a 904/4.10 car or take no deductions since technically I have do have 2.76s? :lol:

FBC09FA0-34A1-42E3-A1A0-62CA1AD03108.jpeg

One question I had as well is with an AX-15 5 speed, if I’m running 2.76 gears my first three gears are nearly identical to the gears of a car with same sized tires, a 904 and 4.10 gears. So should I be honest and deduct .7 from my et to match a 904/4.10 car or take no deductions since technically I have do have 2.76s? :lol:

View attachment 1715134074
Good question. Never thought about 5 speeds. I'll say take the .3 tenth hit for a clutch car. A 4 speed car would be better geared as well, so my thought is subtract 3 tenths for a clutch car and call it good. Actually, there are differences in 1st gears in the automatics as well. Yeah, my vote is take 3 tenths off for the clutch car and it's one area of the penalty box that worked in your favor
:thumbsup:
others with thoughts???????????

When the time comes to run the car I’ll see if I’ll be able to get close to either of the ET’s.. it’ll be my first time drag racing so I may need all the help I can get. Lol

If I did my math right my car has to run 12.40ish. I'm in with my car.

The 73 Duster I have to do the math. My kid may drive that.

I am in with a 340, only thing i need to do is weigh my car, i think it is close to 3300 but i have never weighed it.

Current list.....
  1. Desert Rat
  2. 89on35's
  3. dcmilt
  4. 318willrun
  5. 273
  6. DFXDuster340
  7. YellowRose
  8. 65Vsignet
  9. SSG_Kar
  10. mderoy340
  11. 75slant6
  12. RTK_line
  13. gtsdude
  14. bradr440
  15. Nerd (YR son)
  16. JFLN
give a holler if ya want in.... :)

Last edited:
Count me in. I wanted to participate last year, but it wasn't finished. All done now and just waiting for spring. It's a 318. Based on the pdf in post 152, I need to run a 12.50. That's about exactly where I think it will be after any bugs are worked out. So I think you did a really good job on the penalties.

Last edited:
Count me in. I wanted to participate last year, but it wasn't finished. All done now and just waiting for spring. It's a 318. Based on the pdf in post 152, I need to run a 12.50. That's about exactly where I think it will be after any bugs are worked out. So I think you did a really good job on the penalties.
Added you to the list, glad you are in! :)
thanks, I hope you hit (or exceed!) your index :)

Current list.....
  1. Desert Rat
  2. 89on35's
  3. dcmilt
  4. 318willrun
  5. 273
  6. DFXDuster340
  7. YellowRose
  8. 65Vsignet
  9. SSG_Kar
  10. mderoy340
  11. 75slant6
  12. RTK_line
  13. gtsdude
  14. bradr440

Put my kid on the list. I'm going to let him drive the 73 duster. We can call him the Nerd. If I use any of his other nick names his mom will whip my butt.

Put my kid on the list. I'm going to let him drive the 73 duster. We can call him the Nerd. If I use any of his other nick names his mom will whip my butt.
Added. I'm going to enter a couple of vehicles too.... :)

I created the new thread for the race. I posted one of my entries as an example. My local strip doesn't open till April, but some in the warmer climate may get started early. I expect more to join, should be fun :)
2018 Small Block Race...... join the Fun

Current list.....
  1. Desert Rat
  2. 89on35's
  3. dcmilt
  4. 318willrun
  5. 273
  6. DFXDuster340
  7. YellowRose
  8. 65Vsignet
  9. SSG_Karg
  10. mderoy340
  11. 75slant6
  12. RTK_line
  13. gtsdude
  14. bradr440
  15. Nerd (YR son)
  16. JFLN
  17. Walker434
  18. 360willrun
  19. wifewillrun
  20. 67dartgtgo
  21. Rd2Scamp
I added two more contestants from my fleet. I'll call them "360willrun", which will be my 360 Duster and "wifewillrun", she'll be in her Ramcharger (if i ever get it going :D ). I'll post in the actual race thread when we get rid of our 15 inches of snow and it gets warmer than 15* .....

experimenting with a link for the other thread.
racers 2018.xlsx

Last edited:
post 172... Getting quite a list :thumbsup: Keeping this thread up because it answers most questions...

I expect the list to grow as spring/summer comes around :)

-
Back