All you fitech tuning guru's

-

coreyg

Reaction score
So after along time I finally got my car on the road. I have a 318 with 360 heads, 76mm single turbo running the fitech power adder 600. The car is running really rich even though my fitech is showing that its running its target afr's. When I drive the car my eyes literally burn from the exhaust and I smell of exhaust pretty bad. Going to pull some plugs tomorrow to see what they look like, but I think I already know what they are going to look like. I can almost watch my fuel gauge go down when I drive the car. Any tips I've called fitech a couple times and they say just to adjust the target afr but that doesn't seem to help.

Not sure if you did or not but I would take a drive and run the data recorder. Download the data and see whats up. It will show you everything.

Something to have a look at is an exhaust leak. ANY leak upsteam of the O2 sensor will fool it into thinking it is lean and richen the engine to compensate. Also make sure the seal for the O2 sensor is properly seated.

Not sure if you did or not but I would take a drive and run the data recorder. Download the data and see whats up. It will show you everything.
yeah the hand held touch screen stopped working, there is a new one on the way. When it gets here I will do some logging

Something to have a look at is an exhaust leak. ANY leak upsteam of the O2 sensor will fool it into thinking it is lean and richen the engine to compensate. Also make sure the seal for the O2 sensor is properly seated.
It took a long time to get my exhaust leaks fixed but I'm pretty sure I got them all licked. Wouldn't it have to be a good size exhaust leak to fool the o2, it doesn't take a lot of exhaust for the o2 to take readings.

ok so the plugs were not terrible. Numbers 2 and 8 did smell of raw fuel but they were not black atleast not yet. I have noticed something with my fuel pressure gauge, when it sits over night I loose all my fuel pressure. Is that normal?

Where did you install the O2? I put mine 18" down on the DP. I also had lots of tuning issues when I had leaks in my hotside. As I fixed the leaks the Fitech improved. I believe your fuel pressure gauge will drop to 0 after car has been off for a while. Are you experiencing any bogging when coming off idle? Most of my rich issues were at off idle and transitioning to cruise level RPMs.

Where did you install the O2? I put mine 18" down on the DP. I also had lots of tuning issues when I had leaks in my hotside. As I fixed the leaks the Fitech improved. I believe your fuel pressure gauge will drop to 0 after car has been off for a while. Are you experiencing any bogging when coming off idle? Most of my rich issues were at off idle and transitioning to cruise level RPMs.
mine is around 18" also. I dont believe I have any leaks on my hot side, I dont see any carbon build up on my welds and I dont hear any distinctive leaks. I do get alot of backfiring when coming off of a pull. and thats when I smell most of the raw fuel smell. the car was running well with out any stuttering this morning, then I made some adjustments on the fitech for decel to try and get rid of the backfiring issue, after I made the adjustments is when it seemed to start running crappy. I reset back to default for the fitech but it still stumbles at a cruise above 2000 rpm.

A little more timing may help. It improved my off idle.

ok so it seems to be getting worse, just cruising its popping and hesitating really bad. and there is fumes coming from my catch can that smell of raw fuel. Any ideas, is my engine ready for a rebuild.

Corey - I would wait till you get your new hand held back. Start with a basic config, maybe the default adjusted for your CID and log a drive without getting into boost. My experience with the Fitech has been it's not plug'n play, especially with a turbo (and E85 in my case). The hand held will also reveal if you are getting any error codes. I was getting a lot related to interference. I ran a GND wire from the front stud of the throttle body to a valve cover bolt, wrapped most of the Fitech harness with insulating wrap and that seemed to help a lot. Mine still feels like it is loading up at a stop and idle and goes super rich before clearing out.

Subcom, what are your data logs showing for your system at idle. There should be no guessing if it is or isn't loading up. Thats the beauty of this system.

mines definitely loading up when fumes come through the catch can that smell of raw fuel something isn't right. I really think that its throwing to much fuel at the car and thats why its stuttering and backfiring. When boost comes on it doesn't do it just on cruise and idle.

Subcom, what are your data logs showing for your system at idle. There should be no guessing if it is or isn't loading up. Thats the beauty of this system.
Correct, my logs show the AFR go rich when it loads up.

Did a compression check and the results seem ok
1 130
2 130
3 145
4 137
5 130
6 127
7 136
8 145

-
Back