Alternator wiring

-

70dart318

Reaction score
So I have been working on my project 70 dart little bit. I realized a small leak from water pump so since there pretty cheap I went ahead and ordered a new one. So when taking everything apart I realized the previous owner just had the alternator mounted on there and had the belt on it but I have no wires connecting to it. I've seen wiring diagrams but I'm a newbie at this and it just confuses me lol. Can anyone please explain how I go about wiring up the alternator? Thanks

Are you using a 70 type alternator, or some aftermarket "one wire" or what? Is the harness chopped up? It should just "hook up.

Originally a large no10 charging wire with eyelet hooked to output stud. There should be a blue and a green both with separate "push on" flat spade connectors. Those go to the two field connections. Does not matter which where. The regulator has a triangular shaped connector. It MUST be well grounded

Simplified diagram:

Dual_Field_Alternator_Wiring.jpg

Start with the alternator:

Top BATT is black with eyelet goes through firewall to ammeter circuit. That should be there

Green field ends up right at alternator, goes to regulator F connection at the regulator connector

Blue field is fed from ignition switch "run" voltage. That same circuit branches off up near the ballast resistor and feeds the regulator "I" terminal (I for ignition)

It is a 70 style alternator. It has labeled on back of it one terminal for battery and 2 for fields. I will look later when I'm off work but I don't remember seeing any wires laying around near it. So I should follow the blue and green wire that goes into the voltage regulator and see where they go?

Unless someone has "hacked it they should be in the harness to the front of the engine including the temp sender wire. "Depending on year" etc

I traced the blue and green wire from regulator and found the missing wires! It was hanging down behind the motor. This is what I found, I see the black wire for battery and blue and green wire for fields, but what the heck is the brown wire for? (The wire I'm holding) is that the temp sender wire 67dart273 mentioned?

IMG_0437.JPG

Yup, that's "all of it".......The big eyelet goes through the bulkhead, to the ammeter, and straight to the battery!!! You are lucky you did not short that to ground!!

I traced the blue and green wire from regulator and found the missing wires! It was hanging down behind the motor. This is what I found, I see the black wire for battery and blue and green wire for fields, but what the heck is the brown wire for? (The wire I'm holding) is that the temp sender wire 67dart273 mentioned?

View attachment 1715090150
That one in your hand is the Temp Sending wire and is/was Violet.

-
Back