Am I wasting my time

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Last summer I bought an Edelbrock TR5 tunnel ram that came with 2 holley 600 carbs. It also had 2 holley kits included but the carbs had been sitting for 10+ years. I rebuilt the first one this fall and tonight I decided to go ahead and start on the second one. Took everything apart and into the 5 gallon can of carb cleaner for the next day or two. Once I take it out and rinse and blow it off I plan on soda blasting each part then I will soak it again, wash and rinse it before I start the rebuild. Soda blasting really seems to clean everything good but it leaves a film that I like to soak and wash off. Now heres the question, am I wasting my time playing with this set up. I already bought new linkage so if I ever decide to use this its just the time and gaskets. Of course I am sure I will find theres more needed then I have but it cant be that much more money to try it, can it? This was my original plan using it but then I decided to go with a SMI built 750 Holley and a Edelbrock Victor intake. Oh yea, its a 66 Dart with a 408 build it would be going on. Here are some pics of the one Im disassembling along with the first one thats already done. If you see anything I should change let me know. The jets are 65's and I forget which power valve is new in the kit but if you have any recommendations let me know. It will be used in an automatic.
The one that is already done started out looking just like the one I am rebuilding now. Someone had painted them both black so they are ugly and once the black paint is washed off after soaking the gold coloring is no longer there. I bought some of the eastwood carb paint but found it to not be a good answer. So i am leaving them the color they are once they are cleaned. Also the last pic of the finished carb you will see that the fuel inlet is not tightened, thats because I havent found the 2 washers for on there and NAPA doesnt have them and the kits did not have them in either.
If I do decide to use this set up I may end up buying 2 new carbs and if thats the case I may go with a pair of Edelbrocks because they would probably give me a little better fuel usage! Your thoughts on this whole idea?

Thanks, Rod
View attachment DSCN3918.jpg

View attachment DSCN3934.jpg

View attachment DSCN3940.jpg

View attachment DSCN3942.jpg

View attachment DSCN3943.jpg

View attachment DSCN3947.jpg

View attachment DSCN3955.jpg

View attachment DSCN3956.jpg

View attachment DSCN3958.jpg

View attachment DSCN3960.jpg

That all depends on several things.

1. How much of the carb needs to be replaced with new parts.

2. Do you have the expertise to rebuuld it properly

3. How far will you be into it $$$ ,wise VS buying reman or new?

4. Whats your time worth to you.

I have a fr iend who swears by holley carbs, me i personally hate them. Get a new edelbrock AVS with electric choke, set it , and forget it. Easiest carb to tune, and do metering rod changes to.

Hope this helps
Matt

-
Back