Another Cam selection thread

-

MD68

Reaction score
Here is what I have:

340, .030 over
KB 243 Pistons
X heads, basically stock. They are at the shop now being cleaned and checked to see what all they need, but I'm not planning on porting and polishing.
Dougs headers
Edelbrock air gap manifold
Undecided on carb
Undecided on ignition system
Dana 60 rear with 3.55 gears and big tires
4 speed

It will just be a street cruiser/ burnout machine.

So, what cam would be a good fit for this combo?

For what your after I'd save some bucks and go with summit 50062 cam kit. It's 145 buck for cam and lifters. The cam has good reviews. If you want something more tailored for your combo. Call a cam company and ask for suggestions.

Here is what I have:

340, .030 over
KB 243 Pistons
X heads, basically stock. They are at the shop now being cleaned and checked to see what all they need, but I'm not planning on porting and polishing.
Dougs headers
Edelbrock air gap manifold
Undecided on carb
Undecided on ignition system
Dana 60 rear with 3.55 gears and big tires
4 speed

It will just be a street cruiser/ burnout machine.

So, what cam would be a good fit for this combo?

Carb, 750 cfm
Ignition, Pace Performance ready to run MSD Knock off. (Actually same distributor with better parts.)
A cam for general burn outs, cruising, hot rod sound, makes good power? This cam.
20-232-4 - Magnum™ Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts

Stock cam from a 1978 318 2bbl.
LOL, still no help.

Great cam choice,ROB! Reliable as rock,great torque curve. Not maximum, H.P.,but damn good.!. Personal history, involved..
It was the go to cam so to speak of for a lot of guys in the early days looking for street HP. Now that the Edelbrock heads are out, this cam will make 400hp well tuned equipped right.

Question...Can you explain to this noob why I wouldn't want the effective rpm range to start lower?
Go out and drive a 360,340 4 spd a body and you'll notice when you're getting it off the line..youre letting the clutch go at or around what rpm? You drive with without much demand for power below 2200 rpm.

Last edited:
Go out and drive a 360,340 4 spd a body and you'll notice you're getting it off the line..youre letting the clutch go at or around what rpm? You drive with much demand for power below 2200 rpm.
The one I'm building will be the first one I've ever driven. First muscle car too, for that matter. I don't know what to expect as far as rpm ranges, that's why I was looking for the info.

Mopar performance .528 solid with 6 degrees advance.
Doesn’t say a thing about rpm range.
What is the rpm range of that cam?
Honest question here;
2200-6200 installed like I said.
Said where again? Only after I asked you mentioned it.
Not in this thread!:poke:
And so far I was correct.
A smart alec reply? Or just blind to the written words above?

If you want to keep it simple stay hydraulic. If you go solid you need new push rods, rocker arms, and machining spring seats for double springs. If you use the old school cams like the comp magnum 280 that rumble mentioned or the cam I mentioned, or the mopar 280 .474 you can use comp 901 springs and no machine work. There are better cams out there but these are easy on the valve train and will last forever. They still deliver especially with factory heads.

Doesn’t say a thing about rpm range.

Honest question here;

Said where again? Only after I asked you mentioned it.

And so far I was correct.

A smart alec reply? Or just blind to the written words above?
Nothing smart *** in my reply. Don't read into it emotionally, read into it mechanically.lol
Again... .528 mp solid cam advanced 6 degrees giving a range of 2200-6200 rpm with the dual plane intake, a lil more with the single plane.

-
Back