Any 833 4 speeds to avoid?

-

YY1

Reaction score
I know where there's a running 318 and four speed for $600.

It looks like it might be from a truck.

I looked on the Brewer's site and the year one site, and nothing says anything about truck units.

Was there a "granny" 1st available, or was 3.09 as steep as it got?

How about shifter mounts on truck trans?

$600 sounds like a hell of a start for all the linkage, bell housing, etc.
Even if the main unit is not going to work.

Can I go wrong?

Truck trans are different from A body and have the shifter in the complete wrong location.
But the bell housing will work from it but shifter linkage will be wrong

I don't believe A-833s (conventional 4 speeds) were used in pickups, but OVERDRIVE units were.

But some guys put A-833s IN pickps

There was no "granny" A833, 3.0x was the lowest gear.

But if you want something for an A body, you don't want a long shaft, and generally, stay away from the earlier flange drive 4 speeds

Thanks.

What tailshaft length am I looking for?

There's only two, A bodies are short. If it wasn't for the shifter pad location, you could actually use a long shaft in an A.

"Some guy" made a bracket/ adapter to do just that, but it was big, bulky, "work," and I think required some crossmember mods

This is a good read

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

Top tail is A body, lower is 70 / later B / E body. Earlier B body tails only had the front shifter mount pad

tailhousing-shifterpad-locations.jpg

There is ONE other little tid-bit to keep in mind and that is the 1966 A-body 4-speeds. While they are a slip yoke design, they use a 904 style slip yoke...unlike the '67 and up, which use a 727 style slip yoke. Per Brewer's website (http://www.brewersperformance.com/history.htm)... The flange-style output was dropped for the 1966 models, and the slip-yoke tailshaft was introduced. The long tailshaft versions utilized the larger 30-spline output shaft (same as the 727 Torqueflite) and the short tailshaft version the 26-spline output shaft (same as the 904 Torqueflite). Having a '66 4-speed car, I can attest that the above comment is true. Every now and then, someone gets caught off guard on this one...but, they hold up just find behind a small block.

-
Back