Any modern engines or engine builds for modern results?

-

1970boy

Reaction score
Basically lookin for any ideas for a moderately easy swap with a budget of 8k-10k that would yield modern mpgs and decent 1/4 times

For that budget, you can drop either a magnum or a late hemi with the attached overdrive and full factory efi, which should set the stage for what you're after.

Factor in a steeper rear gear in your factory diff for max modernism.

1st look at a similar modern cars and performance and what mileage it gets.
Look at modern Hemi Challenger with 400-500 hp gets about 15 mpg intown and 25 mpg highway not exactly hard to do. With any small or big block engine.

To me a modern hemi short block is basically LA rotating assembly. It main difference is head package. For highway OD is the main help for mileage. Modern engines seem like to make power with high flow heads and a conservative cam with high lift (roller) and efi and Rhoads lifters couldn't hurt.

1st look at a similar modern cars and performance and what mileage it gets.
Look at modern Hemi Challenger with 400-500 hp gets about 15 mpg intown and 25 mpg highway not exactly hard to do. With any small or big block engine.

To me a modern hemi short block is basically LA rotating assembly. It main difference is head package. For highway OD is the main help for mileage. Modern engines seem like to make power with high flow heads and a conservative cam with high lift (roller) and efi and Rhoads lifters couldn't hurt.
Contact MRL for advice.... He does some really nice engine builds, in your price range (J.H.M.O..)
Oh ,I see you are in California... Might send IMM Engines a p.m., (known as 0U812 here..) out of Indio,Ca.

To modernize my 318, someday, I'd like to add sequential port fuel injection.

Jeff

I'm still tryin to figure out what a "modern result" is.

20170109_124743.jpg

This is modern HP.... 500 HP 30 mpg hwy and quiet.....
The $10k might be a challenge....lol

One thing about gas mileage it's hard to recoup what you spent to get it most of the time.

Look at my jeep gets 12.5 mpg average.
I spend $50 a week in gas so $2600 a year.
Now if I got a car the got double I'd save $1300 a year. But mine is an all year round car. If it was a summer only car it would be only $1300 a year anyways and if a sunny day only half that. So if you spend $5000 on making it better on gas it could take 5 to 10 years to recoup.

Even with my jeep being year round daily driver if I went and bought a $5000-6000 car to replace it would take 5 years to recoup.

After a certain point it's hard to gain much mileage. 100 plus years of the automobile they still haven't increase intown mileage that much for similar cars like ours.

And highway yes you can get great mileage with an OD but if you never or hardly see the highway then who cares.

I barely drive highway around here and if I do its only for 10-15 mins.

Cam and gear are the two things that is gonna effect your mileage but also your performance, it's a double edge sword.

One thing about gas mileage it's hard to recoup what you spent to get it most of the time.

Look at my jeep gets 12.5 mpg average.
I spend $50 a week in gas so $2600 a year.
Now if I got a car the got double I'd save $1300 a year. But mine is an all year round car. If it was a summer only car it would be only $1300 a year anyways and if a sunny day only half that. So if you spend $5000 on making it better on gas it could take 5 to 10 years to recoup.

Even with my jeep being year round daily driver if I went and bought a $5000-6000 car to replace it would take 5 years to recoup.

After a certain point it's hard to gain much mileage. 100 plus years of the automobile they still haven't increase intown mileage that much for similar cars like ours.

And highway yes you can get great mileage with an OD but if you never or hardly see the highway then who cares.

I barely drive highway around here and if I do its only for 10-15 mins.

Cam and gear are the two things that is gonna effect your mileage but also your performance, it's a double edge sword.

You must not drive very far. I live in north Ontario and it costs 50 bucks to go to the beer/grocery store in my Ramcharger. 80 km round trip.
I would love to find a drivetrain I could put in it that gets 22 mpg.

You must not drive very far. I live in north Ontario and it costs 50 bucks to go to the beer/grocery store in my Ramcharger. 80 km round trip.

I live in the arm pit of Ontario or aka Oshawa lol.

Ya work is only 10 km away and Downtown Toronto is a 15-20 minutes away.

For me an overdrive is useless unless I start doing some traveling. But can always do like my uncle swap gears for trips.

But that's the problem mine is a 98 jeep grand cherokee efi and od the stuff the supposed to make gas mileage but only gets 12.5. My cousin hemi truck only gets a few better. My crown vic cab gets 16 and my 5th ave gets 15. My dads 2011 town and country mini van only gets 19. Every 6 cylinder and v8 I've ever owned has only got between 12 and 18 mpg.

Unless you drive a econo box your intown mileage is gonna suck.

Had to get a Elantra this fall as I have a new grandson in downtown Toronto. I like to visit when I can and that is a 500 km trip 1 way, but I sure feel alot safer in the Ramcharger.

I've been able to do just this from the 70's. No modern magic, High Performance, good tune, and high gears or an Overdrive. Just 275-300 hp 273 64 Barracuda 4 speed 2.76 gears, but 25-28 mpg cruising steady at 65-70 mph. 2009 6 speed Challenger, 375 hp, 2 O/D 28 mpg cruising at 70 mph

I get great mpg in my 70 340 Duster It is north of 300 hp with 3.23 and tall tires and a 833 od. It gets 22 mpg highway and could do better if I kept my foot out of it. The truck no chance.
How did this turn into a mpg thread?

I dont mind if it turned into a mpg thread because if it comes full circle there might be a guy who shares how he gets great mileage then leak his build info,modern or not everyone wants great results and it wouldnt be a bad idea as a reference page for new people unsure of what to do for there next build

So, what were you looking for? Power has little secrets. High flow heads, valves seal, rings seal, good fuel metering, good ignition. New cars add overdrive(s) to cruise at a sweet spot at a lower rpm. Steady on the gas, keep your foot out of it. Small blocks should get 20 mpg, geared right and tuned. Even big blocks would approach high teens with a TQ and 2.76 gears. Magnums would be the easiest, same exhaust and almost everything else. IMO the key is an overdrive. Everything else is more complicated than it is worth.

I dont mind if it turned into a mpg thread because if it comes full circle there might be a guy who shares how he gets great mileage then leak his build info,modern or not everyone wants great results and it wouldnt be a bad idea as a reference page for new people unsure of what to do for there next build

You need a goal for performance and economy. I know what I can do with old technology. I have no idea what you can do. IMO, the budget is not big enough for much "modern" besides EFI on a factory displacement something in a light car. So more details please.

You need a goal for performance and economy. I know what I can do with old technology. I have no idea what you can do. IMO, the budget is not big enough for much "modern" besides EFI on a factory displacement something in a light car. So more details please.
Goals would be as much mpg as possible without giving up too much power say 300+? Mpg 25+? I also want it reliable (daily driver)

Goals would be as much mpg as possible without giving up too much power say 300+? Mpg 25+? I also want it reliable (daily driver)
Magnum 5.9,mild cam E.Q heads,a999 transmission,3.55 gears.....My opine...Contact MagnumMopar here.....He is in Oregon,cuts through any B.S with honesty...... Trailbeast has done some very good things,with overdrive transmissions(and this very combination)....Hopefully ,he chimes in,or send him a PM,,He's a really practical dude....

Magnum 5.9,mild cam E.Q heads,a999 transmission,3.55 gears.....My opine...Contact MagnumMopar here.....He is in Oregon,cuts through any B.S with honesty...... Trailbeast has done some very good things,with overdrive transmissions(and this very combination)....Hopefully ,he chimes in,or send him a PM,,He's a really practical dude....
Assembling a plan tell me what u guys think

Theres an engine in my area that i can get for 2500ish
Some details about it are given in the pic its cams specs are -260/268 duration 430/450 lift

After buying the engine and swapping it in i would drive it as is but then add in the other parts to increase performance, mpgs etc- basically whatever people suggest i do to optimize the results to what i want
From this im thinking either bolt on overdrive for the tranny- or what tranny do you guys think would be best ?
What carburator would be best ? I hear thermoquads are pretty solid and help with mpgs
What intake?
Machining for quench?
Anything else you guys think of that im missing or you would change feel free to comment -thanks

IMG_5674.PNG

-
Back