Any one interested in the oiling mods I did?

-
Thanks, I have the big inch small block book, might chase down the other, my block has the cross over, as well as a direct feed from the remote filter to #1, as the filter return line splits before re entering the block so should be all good, my engine guy is OCD on this stuff and how it's done

Thanks, I have the big inch small block book, might chase down the other, my block has the cross over, as well as a direct feed from the remote filter to #1, as the filter return line splits before re entering the block so should be all good, my engine guy is OCD on this stuff and how it's done

This is the first edition of the one just mentioned. " How to build Dodge/Plymouth Performance." I bought it off Amazon used for $5.00 and shipping. A super book to have.

Attachments

• 1MP k book.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 813
Ohh I have that one as well from years back!!!! Guess I gotta open my eyes when reading

No, that is why my main oil clearance is .003", and the passage from the lifter galley goes to the mains at 9/32" then up to the cam at 3/16" and the cam oil clearance is .001". My rockers like some oil, and the very small percentage of the time when the cam oil holes line up is minor. A small block has #2 feed one head and #4 feed another, a big block has #4 feed both heads, think about it

I do not understand your big block comparison here. The big block also has a major oiling problem with number four as well. What is it you want me to think about. You are sending more oil to the cam bearing than they need at the expense of the mains and rods. The recommendation by Guitar Jones is to restrict the volume of oil going to the cam bearings to better direct the oil and pressure to the mains. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that on my last tear down I head main bearing failure on number 2 and 4 main. You claimed I did not have a high volume pump or not enough volume of oil. I disagree. My problem was a camshaft with a full oil groove on number 2 and 4 which is sending all the volume of oil to the heads at the expense of the mains. The recommended fix in the stroker small block book is now to completely stop oiling the rockers from the cam bearings and oil both heads directly from the main galley. This leaves all five main bearings to get the proper volume that they need,and full time oiling to the rockers as well. It is the best of both worlds.
Indy cylinder head oil the big block very similar to this with external lines to address the same issue with number 4 main. A friend of mine with an 8 second Daytona reverse feeds the galley on his big block to further help this problem. I do not understand how you are disputing this.
Are you suggesting that we adjust cam bearing clearance to adjust the volume?

Duane

sending oil somewhere is one thing, how much volume blows out is what matters. the size of the passages going up to the cam bearings are not very important, what is important is what happens at the end of the passage. like your thumb on the end of a garden hose. the oil blowing out is very restricted by most cams, except at 2 and 4 with those old cams with a groove. X amount of oil is pumped into the main galley, "the fix" takes oil from the main galley and sends it to the rockers = taking some oil away from the mains. maybe the mains get the proper volume that they need.

sending oil somewhere is one thing, how much volume blows out is what matters. the size of the passages going up to the cam bearings are not very important, what is important is what happens at the end of the passage. like your thumb on the end of a garden hose. the oil blowing out is very restricted by most cams, except at 2 and 4 with those old cams with a groove. X amount of oil is pumped into the main galley, "the fix" takes oil from the main galley and sends it to the rockers = taking some oil away from the mains. maybe the mains get the proper volume that they need.

I would think that opening up the passages in the block from the pump into the main galley would have more than adequate volume to feed the entire engine. The claimed advantage of the external line to feed the rockers is that the feed to the rockers is full time instead of the pulse oiling that the stock setup uses. Also the path the oil takes to the rockers is much more direct with less severe turns. Also if the block is tubed or the lifter bores are bushed there is much less leakage at the lifters and this volume is available to everything else that is fed from the main galley. Chrysler has been very supportive of their racers for many years and I personally do not think they would recommend oil mods that do not work. Sizilagy is an engineer at Chrysler who wrote the stroker small block book. I cannot believe that he would recommend this oiling mod if it were going to hurt the main bearing. My engine failure of 2 and 4 main proves that sending excessive volume to the rockers via the cam grooves takes the volume away from the main bearings and imho Sizilagys mod is valid for this reason.

Duane

headtap.JPG
I would think that opening up the passages in the block from the pump into the main galley would have more than adequate volume to feed the entire engine. The claimed advantage of the external line to feed the rockers is that the feed to the rockers is full time instead of the pulse oiling that the stock setup uses. My engine failure of 2 and 4 main proves that sending excessive volume to the rockers via the cam grooves takes the volume away from the main bearings and imho Sizilagys mod is valid for this reason.

In my picture you see 3 mods to the block.

1 The cross over tube fitting.

2 The plug in the head oiling passage. Underneath the plug is a hole into the main oil galley. I did this on both side so I don't need a 2nd oil line to feed the heads. Both are now full time oiling and the cam bearings block the oil feed from the cam to the heads.

3 The tapping of the oil passage at the deck surface. This is for future plugging for use of magnum heads

So are you reverse feeding number 1 main from the drivers side galley and have you plugged the passage from number 1 back to the drivers side?
I like how you are feeding your rockers independently from each galley. I would not have thought of that, but makes perfect sense.
I was even thinking of threading the passage to the rockers at the deck of the block like you did but installing drilled restrictions to fine tune the supply to the rockers.
Very ingenious how you have done yours. Kinda makes you wonder why Chrysler did not do it that way.
Did you re-drill your cam bearings to restrict and cut the supply to the deck?

Duane

So are you reveroose feeding number 1 main from the drivers side galley and have you plugged the passage from number 1 back to the drivers side?
I like how you are feeding your rockers independently from each galley. I would not have thought of that, but makes perfect sense.
I was even thinking of threading the passage to the rockers at the deck of the block like you did but installing drilled restrictions to fine tune the supply to the rockers.
Very ingenious how you have done yours. Kinda makes you wonder why Chrysler did not do it that way.
Did you re-drill your cam bearings to restrict and cut the supply to the deck?

Duane

Yes reverse feeding the #1 main with the crossover tube. I drilled the step out of the passage from the #1 main to the drivers side galley to 5/16.

No do not plug the passage from #1 back to the drivers side. Plug the #1 passage on the passenger side at the front with a core plug.

When drilling the inner hole into the oil galley make sure your drill is pointed into the oil galley and not the water jacket. I used a .3/32 bit for the inner hole.

Yes the cam bearings get a 1/8' hole drilled in all of them to restrict the oil and at #2 and 4 the passages to the head are blocked by the turning of the cam bearings.

My bad, yes you want to reverse feed right back to the main galley to reduce the velocity with that setup.
I have drilled my cam bearings (all five) to 1/8 as well and closed off
My supply to number 2 & 4 as well.
Have you drilled the passages in the rear of the block as Guitar Jones suggested?. Are you planning to run a roller cam?

Duane

Have you drilled the passages in the rear of the block as Guitar Jones suggested?. Are you planning to run a roller cam?

Duane

Yes drilled all the passages that Guitar Jones said to do. Mine had a major size step down in the passage under the pressure sending unit above the plug that separates the main line and the filter line.

Not running a roller in this motor for the time being. It is a 340. I am going to block fill the water jacket also. 1/2 not full fill.

Yes drilled all the passages that Guitar Jones said to do. Mine had a major size step down in the passage under the pressure sending unit above the plug that separates the main line and the filter line.

Not running a roller in this motor for the time being. It is a 340. I am going to block fill the water jacket also. 1/2 not full fill.

Have a look at the modified cooling system thread in the Racers category while you have the motor out.

Duane

Did you fabricate that yourself and is the 1/2 inch pipe thread.
Did you also already drill the pump body for 1/2 pipe?

Yes used a piece of 3/4 ID pipe an a 1/2 npt pipe nipple.

Check out
Small Block Oil Pick Up Tube Question

big hole stked.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back