Anyone have a carfax account? Looking at Dakota R/T

-

zig

Reaction score
I thought I would ask here just in case. Anyone have a carfax account available? Going to look at a 98 Dakota r/t tonight. He said it has a clear michigan title, but is from Florida. Just want to make sure there was no funny business going on...

1B7GL22ZXWS697123

Thanks for any help...

The only way a carfax will work is if it has been consistently updated by any transfer of ownership, shop repairs etc. In most cases these things are not reported so the carfax will not help you.

There are many times that Carfax doesn't have all the records so don't put total trust in that. If an insurance company wasn't involved then it is very likely there will be no record of an accident. Many people pay for accidents themselves to keep their rates down. A lot of flood vehicles never show up either. Do yourself a favor and take the truck to a professional for an inspection if you aren't able to do a full inspection yourself.

take the vehicle to a mechanic and get it on a lift. Carfax is a joke and can only tell you whats been reported

take the vehicle to a mechanic and get it on a lift. Carfax is a joke and can only tell you whats been reported
Last week they had a 20/20 report on TV about CARFAX and yep totally 100% a joke, if you go by what carfax says you will be screwed...

Last week they had a 20/20 report on TV about CARFAX and yep totally 100% a joke, if you go by what carfax says you will be screwed...
that was a great piece. they were completely busted and the carfax CEO still wouldnt wipe that ****- eating grin off his face. what a scam.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll just check everything over real close. This is more of a project truck. I would not spend more than $800 on it.. You don't get much for that. I am more in to fix it up and re sell it and make a few bucks towards my Duster... Since it is supposedly a rust free body, living in Michigan, that is rare for a 98...

By the vin code I can tell you for sure its an R/T. You can tell cause it had a "Z" for the engine letter. That is for the 360. Only big issues I see with the Dakota are usually pita ball joints to replace. They are riveted in and the are common to go out if they are OEM. Also I see that a few people having transmission issues. Other then that stuff usually no other main issues. I love my 98 Dakota!

Example, my son erased the front end from his mother's PT cruiser.
Insurance fixed the car.
I sold it a year later with a clean Car Fax.
I did disclose the previous damage to the person that bought it.
There was a news story on Car Fax last weekend, exposing thier downfalls.

-
Back