Anyone have experience with E85 vs Gas?

-
Knew a person who decided to run E-85 in his stock 383 roadrunner...until it quit running and we had to tow it to the shop

I don't know that you'll see an ET/MPH difference unless you push the tune a little harder to take advantage of the fuel...you're gonna have to flow a LOT more e85 than pump 93 too, so keep that in mind when building a fuel delivery system.

been bracket racing with e85 for a good 3 yrs or more now...

We are using the same electric fuel pump that we used with gas...we are using the same holley regulator we used with gas....using the same steel braid line that we used with gas.....

You need a fuel system that will supply 30 % more volume ..we are using holley 140 gph clone fuel pump...with AN 8 line from the fuel cell...

The carb must be modified to supply 30% more fuel to the engine....metering blocks must be modified or changed E85 metering blocks that are available QFT sells them...jetting will need to be increase about 8-10 jet size...air bleeds need to be changed...accelerator pump nozzle changed..you need new needle and seats ..steel not Viton...your pump diaphragms need to be change to alcohol friend one.. get the picture?

or send carb out to be converted or buy a new one...lol

back to back testing using the same carb that was converted from gas to E85....the car ran 2 tenth faster...

The tune up is the same...same plugs...same timing...the engine runs a lot cooler...maybe you might need to change heat range...running 34 degrees of advance...read a lot about changing plug gaps to narrower...made no difference...

Our motors are not high compression with one being 11 to 1...the other two are 10.5 to 1...so we could probably run pump gas with a touch of racing gas to be on the safe side...I have two stations that sell e85 that are a couple of miles from the house...so I have easy access to it...and it is usually a nickel cheaper then regular gas...

We are using the same electric fuel pump that we used with gas...we are using the same holley regulator we used with gas....using the same steel braid line that we used with gas.....

You need a fuel system that will supply 30 % more volume ..we are using holley 140 gph clone fuel pump...with AN 8 line from the fuel cell...

The carb must be modified to supply 30% more fuel to the engine....metering blocks must be modified or changed E85 metering blocks that are available QFT sells them...jetting will need to be increase about 8-10 jet size...air bleeds need to be changed...accelerator pump nozzle changed..you need new needle and seats ..steel not Viton...your pump diaphragms need to be change to alcohol friend one.. get the picture?

back to back testing using the same carb that was converted from gas to E85....the car ran 2 tenth faster...

The tune up is the same...same plugs...same timing...the engine runs a lot cooler...maybe you might need to change heat range...running 34 degrees of advance...read a lot about changing plug gaps to narrower...made no difference...

Our motors are not high compression with one being 11 to 1...the other two are 10.5 to 1...so we could probably run pump gas with a touch of racing gas to be on the safe side...I have two stations that sell e85 that are a couple of miles from the house...so I have easy access to it...and it is usually a nickel cheaper then regular gas...

Running it for 3 years, have you played with compression at all? I've heard a lot of guys reporting great success with 12:1 combos, and have heard some guys have started playing with 14:1 and even 16:1 combos on it. I'm curious as to what would be the "limit" of E85 for compression. I've lots of experience with methanol and sprint car engines. But E85 seems like a good "middle ground" for full race vs pump gas.

No the engines have not been apart since they were assembled so the compression is what it is...flat top pistons...two with close chamber eddy heads...one with open chamber heads the 11 to 1 is..

Spot on with us also except we gained 3 tenths.

Although I did have an E85 4500 carb for our W5 program, we never used it. The thought crossed my mind with the W8 build (both 13.5-1), but..... none available local anymore. I could stop in Vegas where Tony goes, but that only helps when I go to Vegas. Another friend runs E85 up there and one time the E85 wasn't so 85.... They ended up buying Sunoco E85 by the can at the track so they could use existing data to try and "run the number". While VP C-12 is f'n spendy, It's available, it's consistent can to can, and it can be stored long term without any issues. Currently I'm at about $600 in race fuel this year, so yes, the price difference could pay for a lot of inconvenience for sure! I still think about it.....

-
Back