Anyone Know How Much A Factory 440 Cast Iron Intake Manifold Weighs?

-

hemi71x

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As the title states.
For shipping purposes, and giving quotes, to zip code XXXXX, does anyone know the weight of one of these?
Really don't want to grab one out of storage, and then drive down to the FEDEX terminal, here in my city, and put it on the scale.
Thank's in advance.
Jim V.

Last edited:
They fit in a Large USPS flat rate box and ship anywhere in the states for $18.
I do it all the time
SB and B manifolds slip right in. RB takes a little patience and persuasion, but they do go

I know that factory stock 2v intake for a 318 weighs 41 lbs.

There's a large flat rate box that fits an intake manifold? How much packing can you put in there to protect the intake?

There's a large flat rate box that fits an intake manifold? How much packing can you put in there to protect the intake?
Packing??? it's a giant hunk of cast iron. Everything else in the mail truck needs to be protected from it!
I've shipped at least 50 of them over the years. Never had a single issue

Ya, i would be thinking the same thing about packaging one of those things properly.

A little side note here.
I just sold a part over on the "C" bodies site, so i will hafta go to the FEDEX terminal Monday morning, sometime, to send it out.
My as well bring down one of my 440 manifolds, and get it weighed, while I'me there.
Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Packing??? it's a giant hunk of cast iron. Everything else in the mail truck needs to be protected from it!
I've shipped at least 50 of them over the years. Never had a single issue

I was just curious, I'm glad it's worked for you. I've seen plenty of corners and things broken off of cast iron parts, maybe the intakes aren't as susceptible to that as other cast iron parts if drop checked.

This thread gave me a laugh, especially WPON’s comment on needing to protect the rest of the packages from the intake. They are heavy, I think around 45 pounds or so.

An iron 70 "sixpack" with carbs weighs more than I can pick up anymore, LMAO

I was just curious, I'm glad it's worked for you. I've seen plenty of corners and things broken off of cast iron parts, maybe the intakes aren't as susceptible to that as other cast iron parts if drop checked.
I ship five-six packages every day..every kind of part you can imagine.
I know what's fragile and I know what's bullet proof. Trust me when I tell you, an iron big block intake manifold is utterly impervious to any perils the USPS can impose on it.

Back in 2001 I was in Pomona CA for one of their big swap meets. I was on the hunt for some engine parts since I was getting ready to rebuild a 440 for my Charger. I was on maybe the 2nd row and spotted a stock 440 4 barrel intake cheap. I figured I'd eventually swap on an aluminum one but the iron would be okay to get it up and running. I carried that heavy ****** all the rest of the way through the swap and back to the truck. This was my FIRST swap meet so I wasn't smart enough to bring a wagon or to have the seller stash it until I returned on the way out.
I never used the manifold....I bought an Edelbrock RPM and haven't used another intake since!

I ship five-six packages every day..every kind of part you can imagine.
I know what's fragile and I know what's bullet proof. Trust me when I tell you, an iron big block intake manifold is utterly impervious to any perils the USPS can impose on it.

Maybe I've just been "unlucky." It's not "on the truck" you have to worry about, it's that 8' drop off the loading dock to the concrete!!!

"Back when" I was more active in amateur radio, THREE of my friends were involved shipping or receiving linear amplifiers.....legal in amateur radio. These all have large heavy power transformers, either in the amp or in a separate power supply box. One was so bad (dropped) that the transformer HAD RIPPED COMPLETELY LOOSE and was "rolling around" in the cabinet. Needless to say the rest of it was junk

First thing UPS tries to do is to claim "it's not packed well" regardless of how well it actually was..........packed

As the title states.
For shipping purposes, and giving quotes, to zip code XXXXX, does anyone know the weight of one of these?
Really don't want to grab one out of storage, and then drive down to the FEDEX terminal, here in my city, and put it on the scale.
Thank's in advance.
Jim V.
Mid 70's 440TQ intake I have is roughly 43#, using the zeroed digital bathroom scale and the "pick it up put it down twice" method,........................

Fowtee fwee!, that's pwetee light. My transmission weighs almost that light.lol
Wew, Youw weally wike dis one, the SB TQ is wuffwee 52# Ehhhhh I could go on....................oops, gotta go!!
98ef6a15e7dda2b5545bf54aaf327fa0--tweety-bird-quotes-funny-insults.jpg

I have one off a 383 here, and I can still pick it up, so its probably a little less than my wife whom I no longer can.Not for trying, I just can't get my arms around her anymore, Badump-ump!
Lol, that's just wrong.........................................

Lol, that's just wrong.........................................
Maybe, but true, and I at least, got a chuckle out of it. And, it looks like you might have too,lol
They say a married couple gains about a pound for every year of marriage.We've been together for 42 years.....I'm about 3 pounds ahead of schedule. She's not saying, and I ain't asking; but I think if we could manage to stand on the same scale, it would have a nuclear explosion......lol
People say I don't look 220. Maybe they're being kind. Maybe I just have heavy bones, and maybe just decent muscle mass for my age.
People don't say that about my wife,lol. She knows she's in trouble. I don't say nuttin; I made her a promise over 4 decades ago, and a promise in blood at that.

Last edited:
USPS Flat rate game board box. $20ish to ship just about any mopar intake.

It seems the majority of women we marry get fat.
IDK 'bout you,but,I'm on my first one,er, wife that is.....
She's my official taster, tho;so far, she's never found any poison...lol.
They say that's from having kids.....
Might be true....she tasted all their food too........
Lady-fat is different from man-fat tho....
Man-fat has a lotta muscle in it, in fact, it's mostly muscle. Man-fat gets hard when you flex it. It looks a little funny, but it still gets hard. Except the stuff under your eyes that makes you look like a SantaClause; that stuff is hard to flex.
Lady fat don't flex and don't get hard, and it's all marshmallowy, or more like Dream-Whip. Yeah that's it, like whipped cream.And it gets stored in strange places, like between the shoulder blades up hi at the base of the neck.I started noticing that a few years ago. And when you accidentally poke it, it ripples like lake-water. The wave goes out.........and comes back around the other side. It doesn't seem like it would weigh anything at all, tho.It's kindof hard to understand why she could weigh as much as two young brides.......................... She must have heavy bones too.
But you know it ain't all bad..........she carries that Dream-Whip all over......If you get my drift.

Last edited:
We often meet them when they are young and active. Over time they spend less time running and exercising and more time relaxing. I love my Wife but I'd sure love to see her at the weight she was when we met.

Yeah me too, I wouldn't trade her for two wives half her age.
I have the pictures tho, of our younger years.
But then I'd have to reciprocate, and for me to lose 50 pounds......I imagine is gonna take some work,lol.

Back in 2001 I was in Pomona CA for one of their big swap meets. I was on the hunt for some engine parts since I was getting ready to rebuild a 440 for my Charger. I was on maybe the 2nd row and spotted a stock 440 4 barrel intake cheap. I figured I'd eventually swap on an aluminum one but the iron would be okay to get it up and running. I carried that heavy ****** all the rest of the way through the swap and back to the truck. This was my FIRST swap meet so I wasn't smart enough to bring a wagon or to have the seller stash it until I returned on the way out.
I never used the manifold....I bought an Edelbrock RPM and haven't used another intake since!
DON`T BLAME U FOR NOT USING IT. I PUT MINE IN A PILE OF JUNK I HAULED OFF AND SOLD .

-
Back