Are all slant dip sticks the same length?Where to get one?

-

LAWFISH

Reaction score
I have a 1977 Ramcharger with a Super six in it/ original that I need the dipstick insert not the tube. All the ones I see on ebay have the tube and they want a fortune for them.

I am guessing all slant six are the same but thought I would ask?

Also, currently is has a one barrel manifold and carb on it. I believe the original stuff was removed for a car years ago. How hard is a manifold and carb to come across and what do they typically cost and is it a good HP difference?

any idea where to Get the insert at a decent price.

Thanks LAWFISH.

No. There are many different dipsticks and tubes for the Slant-6; they are not all the same. If you're using factory parts, you need a matched stick/tube/oil pan to get correct readings. If your dipstick tube is okeh and all you need is the stick and can't find an OE item, buy this and rob the stick out of it. Change your oil and filter, put in exactly four quarts of new oil, start the engine and run it long enough to fill the filter, park the truck on level ground and leave it sit for 20 minutes, then adjust the stick to a workable length, use it to check the oil, take note of the level, drill a hole and/or file a notch at the edge of the stick—that's your "one quart low" mark. Add another quart of oil to the engine, let it drip down for five minutes or so, check the oil again, and mark that level—that's your "full" mark.

Lower quality/lower price version of the universal stick here (probably still perfectly adequate).

The 2bbl "Super Six" setup runs a lot better than a 1bbl, assuming a carb in good condition. Better manners and better driveability, better performance and better economy. The setups have grown much more difficult to find and much more expensive than they used to be; this is a good deal. You don't really need the exhaust manifold (if yours is undamaged); the 1bbl and 2bbl exhaust manifolds are same. Do yourself a big favor and skip the junky factory choke; pick up a № 1232 electric choke kit and drop it on; you'll be a lot happier—they work better and they're adjustable.

I have some /6 sticks, do you have the old one to match it? How long is the tube?

I will have to pull the tube and see, thx

RUMBLON

and thanks for the other replies.

I have some /6 sticks, do you have the old one to match it? How long is the tube?

hanks for the replies. I will have to pull the tube and measure it thanks. no I dont have the original.

RUMBLON

For what it's worth, I needed a new tube and was at PnP and snagged a stick and tube as it looked different. The tube was longer as this came from a truck and not a car. I put it into my A100 and reads correctly with no changes. Good Luck

2 bbl manifolds are probably an ebay item, unless your junkyards are better. I very rarely see 1980 & earlier Dodge around here, though trucks still show up. The carb is a fairly common Carter BBD, which were also used on 318 V-8's, though there might be a particular PN that is better for slants. You might have better luck finding a 4 bbl aluminum intake (Offenhauser, Clifford). I eventually got one off ebay. You would want the smallest 4 bbl carburetor you can find (390 cfm) or maybe consider throttle body EFI, like FI Tech (~$700). You also need special kick-down linkage and such for the Super-Six setup.

-
Back