B & M shifter cable routing

-

moparspares

Reaction score
I am finding it very difficult routing my shifter cable in my duster and avoiding headers, trying to keep a nice loop and keep it up high so it doesn't catch on anything. I thought a longer cable than the supplied one maybe. Any ideas?

I use a 5 footer, and route it from the shifter to the passenger side, under the pan and back up on the drivers side to the trans. I wish that they made a 4 1/2 footer. I have a brand new 4 footer and 3 footer, can't use but I tried. I also use a https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dei-010418 over the cable, fits perfect for a 5 foot cable. Car is a '66 Valiant 2 door post with a 340/904

Russ.

exhaust-02b-jpg.1714940216

Covered with a piece of Thermo-tec sleeve and routed as mentioned above. This is an older pic with some changes since but the routing hasn't changed and never an issue.

I'm using TTI 1-7/8" headers and a B&M stealth, It sucked. 1 tube falls directly in line with the lever. I utilized the linkage pivot mounting boss and made a bellcrank to offset the cable, made new brackets to hold the cable away from the exhaust but still above the bottom of the oil pan. all DEI sleeved. BTW 70duster440 nice work.

20160115_192724.jpg

Common issue, it's not fun.

I want to figure out how to route the cable so it comes from the back of the case. It would need some sort of bell crank arrangement because the cable action would be reversed. Aerospace Components makes something like that. It's part of a kit they have for a Glide where the trans lever is vertical not horizontal like a TF.

Same here.Ran the cable to the passenger side of floor hump under the bell.Added a few tin shields.

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

you could insulate the cable, and the headers where it is close to them. even a metal brace or guard if need be.

I burned two or three with hedman headers. I finally brought mine over the top of the bellhousing and down the side. I used a silicone hose for a sleeve and added a reflective woven cover over that. i used the bellcrank bolt boss and made a bracket to hold it in place.

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2083.JPG

I'm using TTI 1-7/8" headers and a B&M stealth, It sucked. 1 tube falls directly in line with the lever. I utilized the linkage pivot mounting boss and made a bellcrank to offset the cable, made new brackets to hold the cable away from the exhaust but still above the bottom of the oil pan. all DEI sleeved. BTW 70duster440 nice work.

View attachment 1714963598

wonder how hard it would be to make something similar but have the cable come from the rear.

Last edited:
wonder how hard it would be to make something similar but have the cable come from the rear.
The easiest way would be a rear exit shifter. I had already fitted the shifter and custom console to my seated position before realizing the primary tube would be such a problem

-
Back