BBMopar's 73 Dart Swinger

-
Update: Haven't made any progress on the rear end, as I'm still waiting on my axles. I order my front rotors, as well as wheel bearings and seals. I'm gonna take the whole k frame out of the car, and clean it up and paint it. I have control arm bushings for my uppers and lowers, but no ball joints. I'm gonna inspect the ones I have and see if they can be reused.

While I'm at it, how can I inspect my steering column? The guy I got the car from pulled the orginal for his duster and put an extra in the car. He said I'd need a new one but this one steers fine. Doesn't seem loose or anything. It has some up/ down play from in the car but it doesn't have any support from the dash because once again the dash is shot. Thanks guys!

While I'm at it, how can I inspect my steering column? The guy I got the car from pulled the orginal for his duster and put an extra in the car. He said I'd need a new one but this one steers fine. Doesn't seem loose or anything. It has some up/ down play from in the car but it doesn't have any support from the dash because once again the dash is shot. Thanks guys!
what do you mean no support from the dash?

I believe there's a piece of the dash that the column rested on (right under the column). I could be wrong but either there has to be or my column drops slightly for some reason. I can pull up on the wheel and the column will raise an inch or so. Just doesn't seem natural. (My dash was cut in places, not sure why).

I believe there's a piece of the dash that the column rested on (right under the column). I could be wrong but either there has to be or my column drops slightly for some reason. I can pull up on the wheel and the column will raise an inch or so. Just doesn't seem natural. (My dash was cut in places, not sure why).
any pics?

also, have you checked to see if the nuts on the column support are actually tight?

Quick update: Original plan was to use my 400 but I was given a 70 something 318 that came out of a truck. Runs perfectly, came with carb an all. I'll look over the codes soon to get a specific year model. I will still use the 400 but I figured this would be good to use while I'm still finishing suspension stuff and working out the kinks. Couldn't beat the price either, lol

The rear end is all together with brand new gaskets. Still haven't got my axles back though. Front drums and backing plates are off, and the spindles are unbolted but still connected to the ball joint. I got a pickle fork and wedged it in between them as far as it could go but they won't budge, I'll have to figure that one out. Also found out that I need bigger u bolts for an 8 3/4. Should've been common sense but oh well lol. Quick question for you guys, the metal plate that connects to the u bolts for the springs (can't remember the name) came off of a 7 1/4 just like the u bolts. Will I need bigger plates along with the bigger u bolts? Probably a no brainer but I'm not sure lol. Thanks

The rear end is all together with brand new gaskets. Still haven't got my axles back though. Front drums and backing plates are off, and the spindles are unbolted but still connected to the ball joint. I got a pickle fork and wedged it in between them as far as it could go but they won't budge, I'll have to figure that one out. Also found out that I need bigger u bolts for an 8 3/4. Should've been common sense but oh well lol. Quick question for you guys, the metal plate that connects to the u bolts for the springs (can't remember the name) came off of a 7 1/4 just like the u bolts. Will I need bigger plates along with the bigger u bolts? Probably a no brainer but I'm not sure lol. Thanks
yes, the shock plate and u bolts are bigger than the 7.25.

also, you might need a thicker fork, or a second fork, I had to use 2 forks on my car to get the ball joints off before.

Little update on this Saturday night: Got the drivers side spindle out finally. Used a borrowed pickle fork and a 4lb hammer. Took plenty of hard swings but it eventually came out. Passenger side was a differnet story because stupid me forgot to take off the nut before I started swinging. Got probably 100 or more swings into that sucker before I realized I'd left the nut off. Took the pin out, but once I tried taking the but off by hand tools, it wouldn't budge. Tried an impact socket, nothing. Wonderful right? I'll need new ball joints so I'll probably end up cutting the nut off and finding another one somewhere. Stupid mistake but I guess that's how you learn. Also got one of the disc spindles and greased it up and got all the bearings on it. Alittle confused about the out bearing and it's race, but I'll figure it out I guess. Hopefully I'll get that passenger side spindle off next time I work on it. Gonna order new ball joints soon

Little update on this Saturday night: Got the drivers side spindle out finally. Used a borrowed pickle fork and a 4lb hammer. Took plenty of hard swings but it eventually came out. Passenger side was a differnet story because stupid me forgot to take off the nut before I started swinging. Got probably 100 or more swings into that sucker before I realized I'd left the nut off. Took the pin out, but once I tried taking the but off by hand tools, it wouldn't budge. Tried an impact socket, nothing. Wonderful right? I'll need new ball joints so I'll probably end up cutting the nut off and finding another one somewhere. Stupid mistake but I guess that's how you learn. Also got one of the disc spindles and greased it up and got all the bearings on it. Alittle confused about the out bearing and it's race, but I'll figure it out I guess. Hopefully I'll get that passenger side spindle off next time I work on it. Gonna order new ball joints soon
Where's your confusion at on the outer bearing? Perhaps we can help?

I ended up figuring it out. The outer portion of the rotor had pre installed race, and I wasn't sure where to put the race I had (didn't realize that the rotor had a pre built race). Lol

Update: Was assembling the back drums and I realized one of my backing plates is missing the shoe/ spring anchor. Looks like I'll need a new backing plate. I plan on ordering new upper and lower ball joints today, as well as a 73 chassis manual. I'll eventually need to get some tools to put the drums together but I'll get those locally the next time I can put some work in on the car

2939_1485968058608.png

Found an old pic of the dart before I got it :)

Update: Got new ball joints and some other odds and ends. Will have back tires and wheels soon if a local deal goes as planned. My axles have been at a machine shop for a couple weeks now so hopefully he'll finish those up so i can get the car sitting on 4 wheels again

20170319_191725.jpg

Got some carpet on the floor. Looks kind of sloppy right now but once i get everything glued and the seats are bolted it should look better

Leaf springs are on the housing and ready to bolt up under the car. Decided i was going to repaint the hood since the old black is faded so i got some 220, 400, and a can of trim black and went to town. Got 1 full coat down, and part of a 2nd before the wind picked up. Decided to wait for a more calm day. Lol

20170508_174838.jpg

8 3/4 is up and under the car. The old /6 springs sag more than i thought they would but it's temporary. Will hopefully be moving the car to my place soon.

20170522_205527.jpg

Kinda hard to see in this pic but i traded some mustang seats i had laying around for these leather buckets out of a 4 door '74 swinger. Wil hopefully bolt them down if i get time today

20170610_145043.jpg
Got my 318 and a buddy of mine is letting me borrow his factory 340 aluminum intake until i find myself a good 4bbl intake. It was supposedly running last fall

20170611_150102.jpg

This is the top end of the 318. Pretty sludgey from the looks of things lol. What would be the best way to clean this? Thanks

-
Back