BBP conversion

-

63Tigerlily

Reaction score
I'm looking to change my wife's 63 Dart to BBP so I can: 1- Run a bigger brake and 2- Run BBP Astro Slots that I got from a buddy.
I have a stock booster for a 63. I am not necessarily wanting to change to disc brakes.

My question is, has anyone ever gone from SBP drums to the bigger Drums, and what would I need to do that? A whole spindle setup off a later year? A whole rear end off a later year?
As far as an aftermarket disc kit goes, this adds a buch of complexity that I don't think I need in a little cruiser with a /6, and a bigger set of drums would suit me fine (my 58 F1 runs drums all around and they work great).

Am I money ahead by just going with a kit and risking all the nonsense involved with aftermarket systems? Can someone point me to a thread regarding 4 wheel conversions to BBP on an early A-body? I couldn't find one. The car is my avatar.

they never made BBP front drums for a bodies. if you wanted bigger drums, some cars came with 10" brakes vs the 9's which would entail grabbing a whole spindle set up.

which gives you okay stopping power and a parts supply that is rapidly drying up. i mean, the consumables are still available, but if you need a hub you're searching the net or scouring swaps, yards or looking for take offs.

a 73~76 factory disc set up gives you BBP and is no more complicated than a drum system, and has TONS of parts availability.

out back, you can call up doctor diff and he can provide BBP axles for your 7.25

honestly though, you'd probably be better off upgrading to a different rear end that is not only stronger but has better parts availability. 8 1/4, 8.75, or a ford 8.8 out of a ranger for drums or out of an explorer if you want discs.

upfront the swap is fairly straight forward, i'd say no more difficult than upgrading to larger drums, and there's lots of options for upgrades in suspension components and in the braking components as well.

the one thing i would do, if it hasn't been done already is 100% upgrade to a dual master instead of the factory single pot.

they never made BBP front drums for a bodies. if you wanted bigger drums, some cars came with 10" brakes vs the 9's which would entail grabbing a whole spindle set up.

which gives you okay stopping power and a parts supply that is rapidly drying up. i mean, the consumables are still available, but if you need a hub you're searching the net or scouring swaps, yards or looking for take offs.

a 73~76 factory disc set up gives you BBP and is no more complicated than a drum system, and has TONS of parts availability.

out back, you can call up doctor diff and he can provide BBP axles for your 7.25
[/URL]

honestly though, you'd probably be better off upgrading to a different rear end that is not only stronger but has better parts availability. 8 1/4, 8.75, or a ford 8.8 out of a ranger for drums or out of an explorer if you want discs.

upfront the swap is fairly straight forward, i'd say no more difficult than upgrading to larger drums, and there's lots of options for upgrades in suspension components and in the braking components as well.

the one thing i would do, if it hasn't been done already is 100% upgrade to a dual master instead of the factory single pot.
This all came about because I scored the original boster and was planning to upgrade her to the dual pot. But, the 13" wheels look stupid, and since I found the 14" 4.5 circle Astro Slots which require a bolt pattern upgrade.
OEM engineers got alot of stuff right, and after going through some aftermarket parts performance issues on my 39 ford, I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
The wife is also not super interested in changing anything. She just wants to drive it.

[/URL]

Hey just help but yea they did make a 10” front drum for a bodies in 73-76. Given ma mopars propensity to repurpose parts I’m sure one of those would work.
Now I start down a new discussion that will light this thread up. The B Body 10” drum spindle is the same spindle as the later A. So a B body lower ball joint and spindle should work.
Upper control arm you would use a 73-76 upper control arm.
The control arm change is mandatory to change to big bolt pattern.
Now that we’ve discussed what has to actually change on the suspension, I would strongly recommend buying the front disc conversion. All the parts I just said that need to be changed will come new. The rear you can swap the axles in the 7 1/4 or find a later 7 1/4 complete.
Your location is So Cal mine is as well. PM me I have a 7 1/4 I’m willing to give to the first taker.

Can the '73-76 BBP disc parts be used on an early A?

I believe so. You need to use the later upper control arm as well
there is also adapters for the upper ball joint taper to take them from small joint to large joint. so you don't *need* later arms, but if you they're in poor shape and the bushings & joints need replaced it's more economical to go to the later arm.

This all came about because I scored the original boster and was planning to upgrade her to the dual pot. But, the 13" wheels look stupid, and since I found the 14" 4.5 circle Astro Slots which require a bolt pattern upgrade.
OEM engineers got alot of stuff right, and after going through some aftermarket parts performance issues on my 39 ford, I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
The wife is also not super interested in changing anything. She just wants to drive it.
oh, i understand completely.

to me the planned upgrade to a dual pot is a must no matter which braking choice to make. if you stick with factory bits, the upgrade is really not all that involved. the parts are out there, and you can put together the correct combo of components pretty reasonably.

one benefit that a lot of people over look is the ability to walk into a parts store and say in need [blank] brake part for [this huge production swath of cars] vs. i need [blank] brake part for a 63 dart and then be told it's NLA, doesn't exist on their computer or is special order only and ships from the mfgr on the 2nd full moon of the spring quarter.

Hey just help but yea they did make a 10” front drum for a bodies in 73-76. Given ma mopars propensity to repurpose parts I’m sure one of those would work.
Now I start down a new discussion that will light this thread up. The B Body 10” drum spindle is the same spindle as the later A. So a B body lower ball joint and spindle should work.
Upper control arm you would use a 73-76 upper control arm.
The control arm change is mandatory to change to big bolt pattern.
Now that we’ve discussed what has to actually change on the suspension, I would strongly recommend buying the front disc conversion. All the parts I just said that need to be changed will come new. The rear you can swap the axles in the 7 1/4 or find a later 7 1/4 complete.
Your location is So Cal mine is as well. PM me I have a 7 1/4 I’m willing to give to the first taker.
yes, they did make a 10" drum for 73~76. however it is small bolt pattern AND it requires a different spindle, which is the same as the disc spindle in the attachment of the upper ball joint so you need UCA's or the adapter sleeve. back to square one of having to source parts that are NLA, and will likely need to be rebuilt with parts that are, or can be difficult to come by.

My question is, has anyone ever gone from SBP drums to the bigger Drums, and what would I need to do that?
friend of mine used his road runner drum brakes on his scamp. need the spindle and drum assemble and the large ball joint upers if i remember correctly..

So I have a spindle from a 73 10” a body set up. I don’t offer it because it uses an oddball wheel bearing.
I’m suggesting the B body spindle because it uses the most common wheel bearing as well as the BBP drum.
They all use the same lower ball joint. And yes you need to use the later style “big upper balljoint”. I don’t recommend the adaptors because they seem to be a one and done solution. No separating the ball joint without replacing the adaptor.

Now on to the parts availability. Spindles rotors and calipers are all available new. Search eBay or go to Dr Diff. The kits are everywhere and not that expensive. Upper control arm can be sourced new and used.

Find big ball joint upper control arms from a 73-76 A body and put new ball joints and bushings that match THOSE year control arms, not your car year model. Then find spindles with drum brakes from a 70-71 B or E body and rebuild them with new brake stuff and new lower ball joints that would go on whatever car the spindles came from. Bolt all that mess into your 63 Dart, bleed and adjust the brakes and go down the road! You will need a brake distribution block from whatever car the front brake setup comes from too.

Last edited:
I think if I can source the right OEM components, I'll go that route, depending on shipping needs. I might call a couple aftermarket mfgs and see what they say, as well.

I think if I can source the right OEM components, I'll go that route, depending on shipping needs. I might call a couple aftermarket mfgs and see what they say, as well.
the right BBP disc OEM stuff?

cuz if so that's easy-peasy lemon sqeezey.
(i'm happy to help, i'm in LA, shoot me a PM)

if you're still on the drum line, this might work for you

-
Back