Big block a body steering questions.

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
Now that my motor is out, I've been looking at my steering. Everything in the front end is new except the steering box and steering column. I did put the new spacers, seals and retaining clip in for the coupler but I am still getting exactly 1 3/4 freeplay movement at the steering wheel.
It looks like when I turn the wheel, the shaft is not engaging the coupler.
I intend to pull the whole assembly out but was wondering where to get the correct rebuild parts from for this steering box and column.
I would also like to know where to get rebuild parts for my pedal assembly as there is some free play in the clutch pedal sideways.
The car is a 67 barracuda factory 383 - 4 speed car.
Any help appreciated.

DSC_0436.JPG

Big brass bush is 1.325"OD
The clutch rod is anywhere from 0.580" at its widest and 0.550". Its worn slightly bent and fucked.

Last edited:
Now that my motor is out, I've been looking at my steering. Everything in the front end is new except the steering box and steering column. I did put the new spacers, seals and retaining clip in for the coupler but I am still getting exactly 1 3/4 freeplay movement at the steering wheel.
It looks like when I turn the wheel, the shaft is not engaging the coupler.
I intend to pull the whole assembly out but was wondering where to get the correct rebuild parts from for this steering box and column.
I would also like to know where to get rebuild parts for my pedal assembly as there is some free play in the clutch pedal sideways.
The car is a 67 barracuda factory 383 - 4 speed car.
Any help appreciated.

View attachment 1715060034
Did you make sure to put the shoes in the coupler correctly? It's easy to assemble those wrong if the shoes aren't rotated the right way, they should barely squeeze into the coupler.
FirmFeel has rebuild parts for the box and coupler.

Did you make sure to put the shoes in the coupler correctly? It's easy to assemble those wrong if the shoes aren't rotated the right way, they should barely squeeze into the coupler.
FirmFeel has rebuild parts for the box and coupler.
I think I may have them in the wrong way. Oops, my bad. With the column removed,there is no play at the coupler when turning by hand.

I did have them in wrong. I also had the spring indexed incorrectly. Should have been like this.
No freeplay now. :)
Now for the pedal box. The clutch rod is bent, so I'm going to cut it off and spin up a new one at work on the lathe.

DSC_0464.JPG

Finally got around to rebuilding my big block A body pedal box.
Pulled it apart, bead blasted it, grind and knock out the old bent clutch pedal locating pin, put the new one in, set the pedal clearance distance, tig welded it back on. Primed and painted. Job done. :)

1501986492461381164328.jpg

DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

-
Back