Birth of a 1970 Dart Convertible

-
I'm been holding back a little. My motor is about all done, so the only thing left is to get is the cam, lifters, valve springs and some valve covers. I been thinking about a Comp Thumper cam. It is bored .40 over stock stroke with 70 cc X heads. It figures out to be 9.5 to 1 compression. Any input on that cam? Sorry for not sharing.....:glasses7::glasses7:
Jim

Hope you guys can help me out a little. It has took a long time, hard times and money to get to this point. I don't want to screw it up now. I got X heads and 20-600-4 thumper cam with the springs Comp recommends 995-16. It says the spring height should be 1.70 @ 116 lbs I got a spring height of 1.60 @ 137 lbs. I talk to Comp yesterday they said it should be ok with 1.5 rockers and the coil bind should just be a little over .100. I have a set of 273 adjustable rockers. They also said there is some valve locks that will give me + .050. This is where I'm at.
Jim

I for one haven't a clue. Best bet would probably be to post a thread in the small block section about it.

Late to the party but I made it. I have a 71 dart I've threatened to cut the top off of for years and you just reinforced my opinion on it. Great job on the build!

There was a70 swinger convertible built years ago. An article about it was in one of the mopar magazines. It was called One of none
238814751_ef24d73f7f_m.jpg

Last edited:
I got the engine on the run stand. I borrowed it from the guy that did my engine. I had to make new brackets for the motor mounts. I was looking at the comp cams website and they recommend only using 1 valve spring for break-in. I will have to remove them before starting. I'm waiting on oil, temp,tachometer and ignition switch panel so maybe this weekend it will come to LIFE.
engine stand 1.jpg
engine stand 2.jpg
engine stand 3.jpg
engine stand 4.jpg
dash.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the first startup. I removed the inter valve springs.

It didn't run right thought I had the valves adjusted to tight, so I readjusted them and started it again after removing the mufflers.

After doing that it still don't run right. I did a lot of head scratching. I got the wiring diagram from online so went back on found that same diagram and one that looks the same but wired different. I changed some wires on the resister and it runs like a scared rabbit.

the first startup it destroyed the mufflers. the first video is after rewiring the resistor. The 3rd video is after replacing the valve springs.

Last edited:
I need to get the grommets for the valve cover. I forgot to leave the cap loose on the valve cover and it pushed oil out the dip-stick.

-
Back