Birth of a 1970 Dart Convertible

-
Well it has been a long week. We got a heavy snow last week and it took my brothers electric out and it has been there sense 1967 so it was all out dated. I think it was a 60 amp service, so everything had to be replaced. I got everything in and had an electrician come and wire it all in yesterday. I will call the inspector tomorrow; if it is all good then Tuesday they will hook it up.:cheers:
I work on the dart a little today and run out of welding wire, it had .024 in it and I replaced it with .035 wow what a difference, that was my trouble all along. All that is left to weld is the rear window frames then some seam seal and paint. I ordered some stuff for doing some body soldering; we will see how that works

keep up the good work.
I cannot seem to find hardly any time to work on mine.

Yeah, that copper colored one in Carlisle was mine- I built it in 1990-95 & it was a feature car in Mopar Action Aug 1998 issue and now it has gone to Canada. The black & white pic in Muddacres is of my car. I believe I was the first to go all out and change most of the car to 71 specs- which included the key in column and keyless dash. A 2nd car was completed in 1998 by a fellow in Fla. Unfortunately that car got totaled on I 95. The 3rd I know of was on eBay.( A plum crazy car) Next came the Blue one, and then the yellow one. Mine was originally a 69 Dart GT convertible.

Things have slowed down on vert. I seem to sneak some time here and there. All the welding is done, the last pieces to weld in is the bracket for the rear seat and pump and windshield frame. I ordered a 4speed tunnel and cut the hole for that and welded that in. I primed all the bear metal. Here are some pictures that were taken with my cell. Carlisle is coming soon and more parts……..:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
Jim

Attachments

• 0601121656a.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1,213
  • 0601121656.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,160
  • 0605121903.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,176
  • 0605121905a.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,191
  • 0605121905b.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,175
  • 100_1244 1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,206
A little seat bracket repair. :-k
Jim

Attachments

• SAM_0075.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,057
  • SAM_0073.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,073
  • SAM_0072.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • SAM_0070.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,117
  • SAM_0069.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 1,113
The rear outside seatbelts had to be relocated. The hardtop bolted below the window. The convertible are on the floorboard inside of the wheel well. I didn't get to weld those in maybe tomorrow. :cheers:
jim

Attachments

• SAM_0081.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,036
  • SAM_0080.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,015
  • SAM_0079.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • SAM_0078.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,051
  • 100_1397.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 100_1283-1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,036
I got seatbelt anchors welded in. I would like to put bucket seat in this but there is no money for that right now. The vert donor car was a bucket seat car so I cut the seat plates out and made new ones out of 1/8" and welded those in. If anybody is interested in those plates pm me, if they pay shipping and a little gas money they can have them. I shot some primer on the bare metal. Just sitting here and looking at these pictures and this project has come so far, I'm so proud of my son Dustin he is a great helper, his skills for 17 is fantastic.

Jim

Attachments

• SAM_0083.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,044
  • SAM_0084.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,077
  • SAM_0085.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • SAM_0086.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,066
  • SAM_0082.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 1,062
I haven't done any to say so....... Things been busy and not much money to spare right now. I got a lot of cleaning and painting to do. I hope to find some time soon................:prayer: Thanks for asking.
Jim

Jim!
You and your son have been able to really spend quality time doing this project together and all the hard work has already been done by you guys. I am sure you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. When I get to this stage I make a list each morning of what I want to get done that day. Whatever doesn't get completed moves to the top of the list for the next day. There are many things you can do without spending any or much money. Enjoy the time with your son, we only get one chance. Good luck buddy

fire-bg2.gif

Well I'm getting the itch to get back at it....:cheers: Sometimes it just takes some time away from it. The steering column that was in the 70 was an automatic and manual steering. Two or three years ago when we went to Carlisle I picked up a standard, manual steering column. I decided to go with power steering. The junk 70 I have is power steering so I robed parts from that. Does anybody know if the paint on that and the dash is satin black? I was ordering some paint for Dustin’s ranger so I ordered some pearls, to try on go mango and see if I can get the color I want.

Orange Pearl (SP) Int Flop 10-40 Micron - 1/2 Ounce Bottle

Fine Gold Pearl (FP) Int Flop 5-25 Micron - 1/2 Ounce Bottle

Fine Silver / White Pearl (FP5-25 Micron - 1/2 Ounce Bottle

Fine Blue Pearl (FP) Int Flop 5-25 Micron - 1/2 Ounce Bottle
Do you guy's and gal's think of me trying this paint with pearls? :dontknow:
Jim

The dash in my 70 duster was satin black. I used John Deere Blitz Black. It was an exact match to mine. It is available in spray can or pints and quarts. I think it is made by Valspar. John deere used it on the dash of their tractors. Avaiable at all John Deere dealerships.

Well got some bad news today, 28 years I've worked for Corning Inc. I went to work today and they tell me I’m laid off to at least next year but it might be longer. So I’m going to jump the gun and take offers on this project. I don't want to send a lot of pms but if you are serious pm me and I will send you my phone #.

Jim

Wow, totally incredible. Wish it wasn't so. Was looking forward to this build being fairly local.

So sorry to hear that. I understand about priorities and having to do what needs to be done. I had to sell my 70 340 Dart that I owned for 26 years because of circumstances, and I was heartbroken. I sold it to a member on here and he started a thread about the restoration of it and that was even worse...seeing someone else work on and enjoy "my" car. I hope you make out ok.

Jim,

Sh*t... sorry to hear, will be thinkin about ya and prayin for ya. That is a wicked build so far, I hope you can keep it. Good luck, keep us posted

JOE

-
Back